Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Problem in extraction when space is a field delimiter Post 302443821 by AshwaniSharma09 on Tuesday 10th of August 2010 06:43:13 AM
Old 08-10-2010
I simply created a artificial ".txt" file with same content what I have given in my 1st post. your script is working very fine on it. But when I convert ".xls" file into ".txt "or ".csv" file, its not working. Again its taking values from other columns. This is what i did :

mv 10042.xls 10042.csv
OR
mv 10042.xls 10042.txt

Also, above command is for one file. I need it in a way so that it can be run on all files.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extraction of string from Stringlist using delimiter

Hi Experts, I need to extract some set of strings one be one using delimiter. Example: shellscript.sh|unix.sh|script_file.sh i need to extract this shellscript.sh,unix.sh,script_file.sh separately. I tried but couldn't get. Please help me.. Thanks & Regards :), Kanda (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: spkandy
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

delimiter appears in field

The typical line of the input file is as follows, 123|abcde|"xyz|mn"|ghelosa|3455hello| The delimiter is |. I need to change it to another delimiter, say ~. For the above line, the output should be: 123~abcde~xyz|mn~ghelosa~3455hello~ The challenge is when | appears in a field, it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: derekxu
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem Using Cut With A Space Delimiter

I am trying to extract 'postmaster' from the following string: PenaltyError:=554 5.7.1 Error, send your mail to postmaster@LOCALDOMAIN using the following command: cat /usr/share/assp/assp.cfg | grep ^PenaltyError:= | cut -d '@' -f1 | cut -f8 but it returns: PenaltyError:=554 5.7.1 Error,... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: cleanden
10 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delimiter: Tab or Space?

Hello, Is there a direct command to check if the delimiter in your file is a tab or a space? And how can they be converted from one to another. Thanks, G (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gussifinknottle
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add field delimiter for the last field

I have a file with three fields and field delimiter '|' like: abc|12:13:45|123 xyz|12:87:32| qwe|54:21:09 In the file the 1st line has proper data -> abc|12:13:45|123 ,the 2nd line doesnt has data for the 3rd field which is okay , the 3rd line doesnt has data for the 3rd field as well the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mehimadri
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

deplace field delimiter

hi here my problem: i have 2 file: 1.tmp 111 222 555 2.tmp 1*TEST1**111*LA 2*TEST2**112*LA 3*TEST3**222*LA 4*TEST4**333*LA 5*TEST5**555*LA (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: saw7
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed XML Field Extraction

I had an immediate work to sort out the error code and error message which are associated within the log. But here im facing an problem to extract 3 different fields from the XML log can some one please help. I tried using different script including awk & nawk, but not getting the desired output. ... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghunsi
18 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Space as a delimiter

not sure if i'm doing this right i'm new tho this but i'm trying to use a space as a delimiter with the cut command my code is size=$( du -k -S -s /home/cmik | cut -d' ' -f1 ) i've also tried -f2 and switching the -d and -f around if that does anything (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cmik
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to use delimiter as : and space in awk

Hi , Please suggest me how do I use : (colon and one space) as a delimiter in awk Best regards, Vishal (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vishal_dba
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can awk ignore the field delimiter like comma inside a field?

We have a csv file as mentioned below and the requirement is to change the date format in file as mentioned below. Current file (file.csv) ---------------------- empname,date_of_join,dept,date_of_resignation ram,08/09/2015,sales,21/06/2016 "akash,sahu",08/10/2015,IT,21/07/2016 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gopal.biswal
6 Replies
COMM(1) 						    BSD General Commands Manual 						   COMM(1)

NAME
comm -- select or reject lines common to two files SYNOPSIS
comm [-123i] file1 file2 DESCRIPTION
The comm utility reads file1 and file2, which should be sorted lexically, and produces three text columns as output: lines only in file1; lines only in file2; and lines in both files. The filename ``-'' means the standard input. The following options are available: -1 Suppress printing of column 1, lines only in file1. -2 Suppress printing of column 2, lines only in file2. -3 Suppress printing of column 3, lines common to both. -i Case insensitive comparison of lines. Each column will have a number of tab characters prepended to it equal to the number of lower numbered columns that are being printed. For example, if column number two is being suppressed, lines printed in column number one will not have any tabs preceding them, and lines printed in column number three will have one. The comm utility assumes that the files are lexically sorted; all characters participate in line comparisons. ENVIRONMENT
The LANG, LC_ALL, LC_COLLATE, and LC_CTYPE environment variables affect the execution of comm as described in environ(7). EXIT STATUS
The comm utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
cmp(1), diff(1), sort(1), uniq(1) STANDARDS
The comm utility conforms to IEEE Std 1003.2-1992 (``POSIX.2''). The -i option is an extension to the POSIX standard. HISTORY
A comm command appeared in Version 4 AT&T UNIX. BSD
December 12, 2009 BSD