Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: An alternative to BASH/TCSH?
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers An alternative to BASH/TCSH? Post 302443664 by kurumi on Monday 9th of August 2010 08:05:54 PM
Old 08-09-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottn
For my 2 cents, you won't find a better scripting language than Bash or Ksh
Python/Perl.

---------- Post updated at 07:05 PM ---------- Previous update was at 06:58 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koalaboration
I love the power and control offered by BASH but detest its syntax! .
Python

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

tcsh

I'm working on OpenOffice Localization; In that I need to work most of in 'tcsh' Since I have almost work till now in 'bash', I want to explore 'tcsh' much more .. An body suggest me a way ? books ? Thanks, :) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kartik
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help me with this tcsh script.!!!!

I need to write a tcsh script which would compare files in the two folders and then send me a mail saying which of the files are missing.For eg 1) I have this folder1 containing all the files which must land on folder2 on a daily basis. 2) If a file is present in folder1 but not in... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarsaravana_s
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help in tcsh

am working in tcsh while writing a script, what is diff between foll two starting line #!/bin/csh #!/bin/csh -f Also can I use the same line for script in tcsh or I have to necessarily use #!/bin/tcsh I guess even #!/bin/sh will also do. Kindly clarify (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mahendrakamath
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

$ in sed under tcsh vs bash

In bash, I can match the ' character in a substition involving the line ending symbol $, easily. In tcsh I ran into a problem. Code: sed "s/$/'/g" filename sed "s/$/'/g" < filename sed -e "s/$/'/g" filename Unmatched '. Where can I find out why this is the case? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: uiop44
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Decimals in TCSH

Hello, I want to run a loop with non-integer values (which I know I can't) so I've created a loop of integers and divided it by 10. However, these values are always rounded down to 1 significant figure. How do I get the script to keep and use the decimal value? My script is as follows #... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: DFr0st
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

for / foreach syntax issues (in bash or tcsh)

So I am new to unix, and actually anything outside drag and drop with the mouse (been learning for about a week so far) . I have been using the foreach command in tcsh because I am working on a group of files. Basically what I need is to insert part of the filename as the first line in the file.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: thepolypore
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash can't find file but tcsh can why?

I have a short script for compiling an old program. It's a simple text file 'ccprog' created in emacs. The permissions were changed with 'chmod 775 ccprog' to make it an executable. When I try to run ccprog I get "bash: ./ccprog: No such file or directory". If I change to tcsh ccprog runs. Why... (68 Replies)
Discussion started by: muddauber
68 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

tcsh help

Does anyone no way my .tcsh_history file is filling up with a bunch of crap?? It is filled with lines like: ! ls eccracrascratcd ! ls mecd /hchoo "cratch2/mecd /sch2/mecd /sh2/mecd /scratchcd /scratch2/mecd /scratcraecd /ls mo "ls" > ! ls eccratch2/mecd /sc/ls"d /scratch2/mecd histecho "ls" o... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bic121
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tcsh to sh

Dear all, I have piece of command from tcsh, which I would like to be in my .bashrc file. However, I am comletely blank about the tcsh commandline. if (-e ~/forum/dir/code.sh) then source ~/forum/dir/code.sh endif Any piece of suggestions how to convert it to sh way? Thank you emily (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: emily
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash tcsh Script runs in terminal but not folder

So, I made a script beginning with #!/bin/bash on gedit. And I double clicked it to run in terminal and I end up with "The child process exited normally with status 127" and "command not found". If I run the same script from the terminal as "tcsh (script name)" it runs just fine. If I... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: OntorEska
8 Replies
ppmtopgm(1)						      General Commands Manual						       ppmtopgm(1)

NAME
ppmtopgm - convert a portable pixmap into a portable graymap SYNOPSIS
ppmtopgm [ppmfile] DESCRIPTION
Reads a portable pixmap as input. Produces a portable graymap as output. The output is a "black and white" rendering of the original image, as in a black and white photograph. The quantization formula used is .299 r + .587 g + .114 b. Note that although there is a pgmtoppm program, it is not necessary for simple conversions from pgm to ppm , because any ppm program can read pgm (and pbm ) files automatically. pgmtoppm is for colorizing a pgm file. Also, see ppmtorgb3 for a different way of converting color to gray. And ppmdist generates a grayscale image from a color image, but in a way that makes it easy to differentiate the original colors, not necessarily a way that looks like a black and white photograph. QUOTE
Cold-hearted orb that rules the night Removes the colors from our sight Red is gray, and yellow white But we decide which is right And which is a quantization error. SEE ALSO
pgmtoppm(1),ppmtorgb3(1),rgb3toppm(1),ppmdist(1),ppm(5),pgm(5) AUTHOR
Copyright (C) 1989 by Jef Poskanzer. 10 April 2000 ppmtopgm(1)