Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Problem in extraction when space is a field delimiter Post 302443559 by AshwaniSharma09 on Monday 9th of August 2010 08:49:04 AM
Old 08-09-2010
Problem in extraction when space is a field delimiter

I have more than 1000 files to parse. Each file contains few lines (number of lines varies) followed by a header line having all column's name (SPOT, NAME etc) and then values for those columns.
**Example File:
Code:
sdgafh
dfhaadfha
sfgaf dhah jkthdj
SPOT  NAME  GENE_NAME CH_MEAN   CHDN_MED  CH2B_MEAN
1         IYPR1         abc                      1.5                 3                      4.5
2         IYPR9         def                       3.6                                         6.3
3         IYPR11        ghi                      2.6                 4                      2.8
4         IYPR13        jkl                       1.6                                         6.7
5         IYPR19        mno                    2.5                 7                      4.3

. . . . . .
. . . . . .
Problems:

1) I need to remove all lines before the header line (for each file).
2) I need to extract 2 columns, let say 2nd (NAME) & 5th column (CHDN_MED). Since there is no values for 2nd & 4th rows for 5th column, it should give a blank space for each in output file. But its giving 6.3 and 6.7 respectively from the 6th column (I am tring with AWK).

The desired output file is :
Code:
IYPR1      3
IYPR9   
IYPR11    4
IYPR13   
IYPR19    7
.                 .
.                 .

**the actual files are with .xls extension and each file has more than 50 columns and 9,000 rows.

Please advise

Thanks

Last edited by Scott; 08-09-2010 at 10:03 AM.. Reason: Please use code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extraction of string from Stringlist using delimiter

Hi Experts, I need to extract some set of strings one be one using delimiter. Example: shellscript.sh|unix.sh|script_file.sh i need to extract this shellscript.sh,unix.sh,script_file.sh separately. I tried but couldn't get. Please help me.. Thanks & Regards :), Kanda (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: spkandy
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

delimiter appears in field

The typical line of the input file is as follows, 123|abcde|"xyz|mn"|ghelosa|3455hello| The delimiter is |. I need to change it to another delimiter, say ~. For the above line, the output should be: 123~abcde~xyz|mn~ghelosa~3455hello~ The challenge is when | appears in a field, it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: derekxu
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem Using Cut With A Space Delimiter

I am trying to extract 'postmaster' from the following string: PenaltyError:=554 5.7.1 Error, send your mail to postmaster@LOCALDOMAIN using the following command: cat /usr/share/assp/assp.cfg | grep ^PenaltyError:= | cut -d '@' -f1 | cut -f8 but it returns: PenaltyError:=554 5.7.1 Error,... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: cleanden
10 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delimiter: Tab or Space?

Hello, Is there a direct command to check if the delimiter in your file is a tab or a space? And how can they be converted from one to another. Thanks, G (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gussifinknottle
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add field delimiter for the last field

I have a file with three fields and field delimiter '|' like: abc|12:13:45|123 xyz|12:87:32| qwe|54:21:09 In the file the 1st line has proper data -> abc|12:13:45|123 ,the 2nd line doesnt has data for the 3rd field which is okay , the 3rd line doesnt has data for the 3rd field as well the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mehimadri
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

deplace field delimiter

hi here my problem: i have 2 file: 1.tmp 111 222 555 2.tmp 1*TEST1**111*LA 2*TEST2**112*LA 3*TEST3**222*LA 4*TEST4**333*LA 5*TEST5**555*LA (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: saw7
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed XML Field Extraction

I had an immediate work to sort out the error code and error message which are associated within the log. But here im facing an problem to extract 3 different fields from the XML log can some one please help. I tried using different script including awk & nawk, but not getting the desired output. ... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghunsi
18 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Space as a delimiter

not sure if i'm doing this right i'm new tho this but i'm trying to use a space as a delimiter with the cut command my code is size=$( du -k -S -s /home/cmik | cut -d' ' -f1 ) i've also tried -f2 and switching the -d and -f around if that does anything (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cmik
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to use delimiter as : and space in awk

Hi , Please suggest me how do I use : (colon and one space) as a delimiter in awk Best regards, Vishal (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vishal_dba
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can awk ignore the field delimiter like comma inside a field?

We have a csv file as mentioned below and the requirement is to change the date format in file as mentioned below. Current file (file.csv) ---------------------- empname,date_of_join,dept,date_of_resignation ram,08/09/2015,sales,21/06/2016 "akash,sahu",08/10/2015,IT,21/07/2016 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gopal.biswal
6 Replies
COLUMN(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 COLUMN(1)

NAME
column -- columnate lists SYNOPSIS
column [-tx] [-c columns] [-s sep] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
The column utility formats its input into multiple columns. Rows are filled before columns. Input is taken from file operands, or, by default, from the standard input. Empty lines are ignored. The options are as follows: -c Output is formatted for a display columns wide. -s Specify a set of characters to be used to delimit columns for the -t option. -t Determine the number of columns the input contains and create a table. Columns are delimited with whitespace, by default, or with the characters supplied using the -s option. Useful for pretty-printing displays. -x Fill columns before filling rows. ENVIRONMENT
The COLUMNS, LANG, LC_ALL and LC_CTYPE environment variables affect the execution of column as described in environ(7). EXIT STATUS
The column utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. EXAMPLES
(printf "PERM LINKS OWNER GROUP SIZE MONTH DAY " ; printf "HH:MM/YEAR NAME " ; ls -l | sed 1d) | column -t SEE ALSO
colrm(1), ls(1), paste(1), sort(1) HISTORY
The column command appeared in 4.3BSD-Reno. BUGS
Input lines are limited to LINE_MAX (2048) bytes in length. BSD
July 29, 2004 BSD