Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Append some text to a file multiple times Post 302443497 by zaxxon on Monday 9th of August 2010 04:42:38 AM
Old 08-09-2010
You may not have spaces in variable names like in URL GOTO. This will not work.

You can try out this:
Code:
COUNTER=1
MAX=10
URL_GOTO="www.abc.com/board="
OUTFILE=bla.txt

while (( $COUNTER <= $MAX )); do
        echo ${URL_GOTO}${COUNTER} >> $OUTFILE
        let COUNTER=$COUNTER+1
done

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Prevent file from being mailed multiple times from a job

We have a ksh which runs once every 15 minutes. Based on a certain condition (for invalid data) we are spooling a file and if the file is of length greater than 0 bytes, then we are mailing this file to a group of users. Upon receiving the file, users correct the data so that on its next run the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sree_2503
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to append text into a file.

I have a command stream that will parse down an ftp DIR listing of a remote directory and return the name of the newest file that I am interested in. The command is sed -e '/^d/d' sppay.listing |sed -n -e '/SPPAY/p'|sort -r -k 43M,45 -k 47,48 -k 50,54|sed -n -e '1p'|cut -c 56-99 and what it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: beilstwh
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Output section of file between two expressions multiple times

Attached is the exact ouput of a vmware VDR log file I am working with but what I am trying to achieve is as follows: I need to output sections of the file using the string "Normal backup" as the start and "Duration" as the end to seperate files so I can then manipulate them further to create... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jelloir
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

call a passwd file to a script multiple times

Hello everybody, I have a requirement in my script.. When i'am executing a script, it'll ask a passwd of some service account.. I need to pass it to the script through a zipped file when it asks for it. The script can be executed by more people many number times. So for securty purpose, it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raghu.iv85
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

copying same file multiple times with different names

hi, I am copying a file from 1 folder to another in /bin/sh. if the file already exists there, it should get copied as filename1. again if copying next time it shouldget copied as filename2.. , filename3..so on.. The problem is i am able to get uptil filename1.. but how do i know what... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: blackcat
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to check if the same file exists multiple times?

Hi Team , Is there a way I can check to see if the same file say , test.dat exists multiple times in the directory path ? Please help. Thanks Megha (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: megha2525
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to append a text file?

i have to append a text file grep for a word, if found, put comment in starting of the line. here is an example cat test.sh bin/ksh Hello World Test Message :wq! search for "bin" word in test.sh file if found comment it out at starting of the line: Output as follows: #bin/ksh... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghur77
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Append no of times a column is repeated at the end

Hi folks, Iam working on a bash script, i need to print how many times column 2 repeated at the end of each line. Input.txt COL1 COL2 COL3 COL4 1 XX 45 N 2 YY 34 y 3 ZZ 44 N 4 XX 89 Y 5 XX 45 N 6 YY 84 D 7 ZZ 22 S Output.txt COL1 COL2 COL3 COL4 COL5 1 XX 45 N 3 2 YY 34... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: tech_frk
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replace string and create new file multiple times

First of all, apologies if this has already been answered elsewhere. I haven't quite been able to find what I'm looking for yet, so hopefully this won't come across as repetition. I have a file consisting of ~100 nearly identical lines, each of which contains multiple instances of the string I... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: pseudo.seppuku
11 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

UNIX script to append multiple text files into one file based on pattern present in filaname

Hi All-I am new to Unix , I need to write a script. Can someone help me with a requirement where I have list of files in a directory, I want to Merge the files if a pattern of string matches in filenames? AAAL_555A_ORANGE1_F190404.TXT AAAL_555A_ORANGE2_F190404.TXT AAAL_555A_ORANGE3_F190404.TXT... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shankar455
6 Replies
URLCODING(3)						 libbash urlcoding Library Manual					      URLCODING(3)

NAME
urlcoding -- a Libbash library for encoding and decoding URL's. SYNOPSIS
urlEncodeString [-l] <STRING> urlEncodeFile [-l] <FILE> urlEncodeStream [-l] urlDecodeString <STRING> urlDecodeFile <FILENAME> urlDecodeStream DESCRIPTION
urlcoding is a collection of functions that convert ASCII-text to standard URL's and vice-versa. The AWK code used is based on code by Heiner Steven <heiner.steven@odn.de> The function list: urlEncodeString Creates a URL from an ASCII string urlEncodeFile Converts a file into URL-valid text urlEncodeStream Converts standard input into URL-valid text urlDecodeString Converts a URL-encoded text back to a plain-text form urlDecodeFile Coverts URL-encoded text in a file back to plain text urlDecodeStream Converts URL-encoded standard input to text Detailed interface description follows. The [-l] option for the encoding functions should be used when line-feed characters (' ') are to be encoded as well. All functions print the results of their conversions to standard output. The exit status of all functions is that of the command 'awk', with '0' for success FUNCTIONS DESCRIPTIONS
urlEncodeString [-l] <STRING> Converts STRING - a string of ASCII characters - to URL. urlEncodeFile [-l] <FILE> Coverts FILE of URL-encoded text to plain text urlEncodeStream [-l] Converts text from standard input to URL-text. urlDecodeString <STRING> Converts URL-encoded string STRING back to text. urlDecodeFile <FILENAME> Converts the URL-encoded text in FILE to plain text. urlDecodeStream Converts the URL-encoded text from standard input to plain-text AUTHORS
Alon Keren <alon.keren@gmail.com> SEE ALSO
ldbash(1), libbash(1) Linux Epoch Linux