Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Jumping from Solaris to BSD?
Operating Systems BSD Jumping from Solaris to BSD? Post 302443227 by agama on Saturday 7th of August 2010 04:11:24 PM
Old 08-07-2010
I've been using FreeBSD for about 10 years now -- starting with an install of 4.0 on my laptop. Prior to that I did most of my work on Sun O/S (pre Solaris and Solaris) systems and had no problem making the switch. At the office, FreeBSD is the preferred O/S for our clusters. We do have some boxes that run Linux or Solaris, but in the last 10 years we've had better success with our BSD systems.

FreeBSD is straight forward to install, and the ports collection makes it fairly easy to install the support software that you need.

The only heartburn we've had with FreeBSD is the lack of hardware support for some 'odd' devices, and we currently have a set of (older) motherboards that seem not to be compatible with anything after BSD 6.3. Unfortunately I cannot offer any details on these hardware issues as I'm not directly involved with this project and only know that the sysadmins ran into this glitch.

Using FreeBSD as a workstation has been great. Flash has always been a nagging problem under BSD; offset somewhat by being able to use the Linux flash player in a "compatibility" mode, but flash has always been a pain for me under BSD.

Would I recommend FreeBSD to a friend? Absolutely, especially for 'lights out' operations like it sounds you'll be using it for.
This User Gave Thanks to agama For This Post:

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

linux + bsd + solaris

I prepare to install linux distros , freebsd and solaris(totally 6 OS) in a 40G harddisk, but I fail to do it, so I would like to ask some question here. Can different distros share the same linux swap?or each distros need to have their own? I made 6 partitions(5 x 7G , 1 x 4G) and 256M(I... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcheng
8 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Solaris , *BSD

Are Solaris's commands the same with *BSD's commands ? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sasuke
1 Replies

3. BSD

for linux and BSD users interested in Unix system V/bsd

for all you unix/linux interested heres an online book for free that covers the basics of BSD SysV Unix commands and applications . giving the average linux user a perspective on the differences in context of the two operating systems and for BSD users covers material as a refernce guide. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: moxxx68
0 Replies

4. Programming

porting solaris to BSD

Hi i have a C program that i need to port from solaris to BSD The flags i pass on CC in solaris are -lsocket -lnsl I use sockets and threads anyone know flags for BSD (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yngwie
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Solaris is like BSD or Not ?

I'm attached to a Linux system that is giving me options to use BSD formats or Unix formats. For Example ps -ax or ps ax. I need to know which is the Solaris flavor. Thanks. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: DavidS
6 Replies

6. Solaris

jumping from one line to another

Hi, Thanks (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: rocky1954
10 Replies

7. Solaris

Solaris 10 dual boot with BSD on virtualbox

Hi there, I am new to this operating system, so would like to ask for directions on how to go about doing Solaris 10 dual boot with freeBSD on a virtual machine (virtualbox). Do you have to partition the disk to allow for another OS to occupy? Like in windows? I tried doing this but failed... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: czy
6 Replies
PADLOCK(4)						   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						PADLOCK(4)

NAME
padlock -- driver for the cryptographic functions and RNG in VIA C3, C7 and Eden processors SYNOPSIS
To compile this driver into the kernel, place the following lines in your kernel configuration file: device crypto device padlock Alternatively, to load the driver as a module at boot time, place the following line in loader.conf(5): padlock_load="YES" DESCRIPTION
The C3 and Eden processor series from VIA include hardware acceleration for AES. The C7 series includes hardware acceleration for AES, SHA1, SHA256 and RSA. All of the above processor series include a hardware random number generator. The padlock driver registers itself to accelerate AES operations and, if available, HMAC/SHA1 and HMAC/SHA256 for crypto(4). It also regis- ters itself to accelerate other HMAC algorithms, although there is no hardware acceleration for those algorithms. This is only needed so padlock can work with ipsec(4). The hardware random number generator supplies data for the kernel random(4) subsystem. SEE ALSO
crypt(3), crypto(4), intro(4), ipsec(4), random(4), crypto(9) HISTORY
The padlock driver first appeared in OpenBSD. The first FreeBSD release to include it was FreeBSD 6.0. AUTHORS
The padlock driver with AES encryption support was written by Jason Wright <jason@OpenBSD.org>. It was ported to FreeBSD and then extended to support SHA1 and SHA256 by Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd@FreeBSD.org>. This manual page was written by Christian Brueffer <brueffer@FreeBSD.org>. BSD
February 8, 2010 BSD