Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Too late to learn unix?
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Too late to learn unix? Post 302443055 by bakunin on Friday 6th of August 2010 12:38:43 PM
Old 08-06-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim mcnamara
I'm 40+ years older than you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by edfair
My IT started 49 years ago
OMG! Thank you for making a 48-year-old geezer feel young again! ;-))

Seriously, i can only repeat what Jim and Ed already said: knowing IT is not "knowing where to click to do something", but understanding (down to the lowest level) what is going on when you click somewhere. The problem with Windows is that this distinction is constantly obfuscated and Windows "Admins" tend to confuse the two. "Knowing the dialogue where one enters an IP address and a subnet mask" is not "knowledge about networking", etc., etc..

For the learning part: i have only ~30 years of experience in the IT business and so i am - compared to Jim - still a beginner in the art. Still, i work with none of the tools, systems, networks, ..., which were there when i started the job. Go figure.

Life means learning, IT means learning permanently and even more and faster so than in any other job. You'll love it.

bakunin

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

What to learn in Unix

Hi I've landed an entry level job in a s/w company.I've not yet started working.But they told me it would be good if i know unix very well.I don't have any idea abt unix.and now i realise it is very vast.It would be nice if somebody can tell me what i should be learning in unix.I don't think i'll... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: liiza
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I want to learn more about Unix

Hi, can some one advice me of a book or online tutorail for some one new to Unix. Right now I only know few commands, and I dont have a clue regarding the different names like Solaris ...etc. thanks, i think this is a great forum.:) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: BAM
3 Replies

3. OS X (Apple)

Want to learn Unix on PB

I've got a 15" PB running Panther and I truly want to delve into the Unix base. I want to learn what is going on under my system and I want to learn how to be able to work in the Unix environment. I've had some experience with Redhat and Mandrake Linux, so I'm not afraid of the shell prompt. I'd... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MortonM33
2 Replies

4. SCO

want to Learn Unix

:confused: Hello everybody, i am totally new to unix, i want to learn unix. i have a server with pIII, 256 mb RAM, two SCSI disk w/o RAID controller.and one IDE CD-ROM Drive. i heard SCO installs on intel platform. what steps should i take for installing SCO on this machine? can anybody help me... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tataiermail
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

want to learn unix

Hi, I am a new joinee.i want to know completely about unix.could you give me some links or soft copies so that i can be good at subject. thank you. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohanp
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Where 2 learn unix ??????

HI . my friends am very ewager to learn unix and its operations can any experts can say wher can i easily learn unix through net and give me some links to learn unix through also tutorials.plz help me am very interested also i want ot learn AIX so only am asking this help my... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: harsath24330
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need to learn UNIX

Hi friends, I m new to UNIX. let me know how can i start learning this technology. Plz suggest some ebooks or any white papers to start with!!!!!!!!!! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanketahir1985
4 Replies

8. Fedora

How to learn UNIX

First question is how do you learn UNIX on a home lab. I understand that HP-UX isn't free and neither is SCO Unix and they don't run on x86 based systems anyways. The choices I believe are going to be OpenSolaris and FreeBSD. My question is UNIX commands the same across the board so if I learn... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: michael78
11 Replies
EXONERATE(1)						      General Commands Manual						      EXONERATE(1)

NAME
exonerate - suite for investigating DNA and RNA sequence similarities SYNOPSIS
exonerate-client [--help] exonerate-server [--help] fasta2esd [--help] fastaannotatecdna [--help] fastachecksum [--help] fastaclean [--help] fastaclip [--help] fastacomposition [--help] fastadiff [--help] fastaexplode [--help] fastafetch [--help] fastahardmask [--help] fastaindex [--help] fastalength [--help] fastanrdb [--help] fastaoverlap [--help] fastareformat [--help] fastaremove [--help] fastarevcomp [--help] fastasoftmask [--help] fastasort [--help] fastasplit [--help] fastasubseq [--help] fastatranslate [--help] fastavalidcds [--help] DESCRIPTION
These programs are not described by the upstream author, however, some information is available via the --help and -h arguments for all these programs. Whoever is using any of these programs in routine, is requested to provide a seed of a respective man page to the upstream author. OPTIONS
-h, --help Show summary of options. -v, --version Show version of program. SEE ALSO
http://www.ebi.ac.uk/~guy/exonerate/ The author of this package provides a beginner ( http://www.ebi.ac.uk/~guy/exonerate/beginner.html ) and and avanced http://www.ebi.ac.uk/~guy/exonerate/advanced.html ) tutorial on his web pages. AUTHOR
exonerate was written by Guy Slater <guy@ebi.ac.uk>. This manual page was written by Steffen Moeller for the Debian project (but may be used by others). 30 Jun 2007 EXONERATE(1)