Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Hard Link Examples
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Hard Link Examples Post 302442842 by methyl on Thursday 5th of August 2010 03:21:56 PM
Old 08-05-2010
Interesting. Obviously a bad example for that strain of Linux, but still a valid example for mainstream unix.
In unix when the links count for a file is greater than value 1 this signifies a hard link. Possible to try some likely directories (like /bin) and sort by links count to see if there are any:

Code:
ls -la|grep \^\-|sort -n -r +1|more

This User Gave Thanks to methyl For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Differences between hard link and soft link

Hi all! I'd like to know the differences between hard links and soft links. I've already read the ln manpage, but i'm not quite sure of what i understood. Does a hard link sort of copy the file to a new name, give it the same inode number and same rights? What exactly should I do to do this:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: penguin-friend
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Why use a hard link

Someone asked me a question today about the difference between a hard link and a soft link. That got me thinking and maybe someone can answer. Why would I ever use a hard link if I can use a soft link instead? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dangral
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between hard link and soft link in unix

Hi All, Can any one please explain me what is the difference between hard link and soft link in UNIX. Thanks in advance Raja Chokalingam. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: RAJACHOKALINGAM
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

need some info about symbolic link and hard link

hello folks how y'all doin well i have some questions about symbolic link and hard link hope some one answer me i open terminal and join as root and i wrote ln -s blah blah then i wrote ls i see red file called blah blah but didn't understand what is this can some one explain and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: detective linux
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Hard link

Hello, In unix, the normal user can't create a hardlink for a directory. why..? Is there any difference between creating a hard link for a file and directory? The super user can create a hard link for directories. Why we cannot create and super user can create.? Please, can anyone help... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nagalenoj
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hard Link vs SOft Link????

Hi PLease let me know the usage of Hard Link vs Soft Link i.e what is the basic difference and what happens when one file is changed or deleted in both the cases??? thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: skyineyes
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between hard link and soft link

Hi Experts, Please help me out to find out difference between a hard link and a soft link. I am new in unix plz help me with some example commands ( for creating such links). Regards S.Kamakshi :) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamakshi s
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find Hard Link

Goodmorning everybody. A question: How can i match if a file is an hard link or not? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Guccio
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Hard link a directory

Is it possible to Hard link a directory? Some people on google say it is possible and some say it is not possible. I haven't seen a working solution though. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

hard link concept

I created a file named as file and a its hard link named as hlink. Problem is that when I delete the file , it gets deleted without notifying that hardlink exists. But as far as I think we cannot delete the file unless we delete all the hard links pointing to it. Is there anything worng... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hiten.r.chauhan
1 Replies
dcheck(8)						      System Manager's Manual							 dcheck(8)

Name
       dcheck - check directory consistency

Syntax
       /etc/dcheck [ -i numbers ] [ filesystem ]

Description
       The command is obsoleted for normal consistency checking by

The command reads the directories in a file system and compares the link-count in each i-node with the number of directory entries by which
       it is referenced.  If the file system is not specified, a set of default file systems is checked.

The -i flag is followed by a list of i-numbers; when one of those i-numbers turns up in a directory, the number, the i-number of the direc-
       tory, and the name of the entry are reported.

The program is fastest if the raw version of the special file is used, since the i-list is read in large chunks.

Diagnostics
       When  a	file  turns  up for which the link-count and the number of directory entries disagree, the relevant facts are reported.  Allocated
       files which have 0 link-count and no entries are also listed.  The only dangerous situation occurs when there are more entries than  links.
       If entries are removed, so the link-count drops to 0, the remaining entries point to nothing.  They should be removed.  When there are more
       links than entries, or there is an allocated file with neither links nor entries, some disk space may be lost but the  situation  will  not
       degenerate.

Restrictions
       Since is inherently two-pass in nature, extraneous diagnostics may be produced if applied to active file systems.

Files
       Default file systems vary with installation.

See Also
       fs(5), clri(8), fsck(8), icheck(8), ncheck(8)

dcheck(8)