Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: sorting numeric array
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting sorting numeric array Post 302442823 by bluejayek on Thursday 5th of August 2010 01:59:41 PM
Old 08-05-2010
Apparently asort() sorts the array elements as strings rather then integers.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl: Sorting an associative array

Hi, When using sort on an associative array: foreach $key (sort(keys(%opalfabet))){ $value = $opalfabet{$key}; $result .= $value; } How does it handle double values? It seems to me that it removes them, is that true? If so, is there a way to get... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tine
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sorting data using array in ksh

plz help me..........i have a ksh script that sorts data in ascending order. the 1st half is correct,but for the line no 31 its showing problem 1 #!/bin/ksh 2 3 4 5 echo "Enter the array length" 6 read num 7 8 9 echo "enter the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ali560045
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting with multiple numeric keys

Data I want to sort :- 1 10 jj Y 2 100 vv B 19 5 jj A 1 11 hq D 3 8 op X 44 78 ds GG 1 8 hq D and want to sort based on the first 2 columns - which hold numeric values. Am using : cat filename | sort -nk 1,2 But the result is :- 1 10 jj Y 1 11 hq D (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sinpeak
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting value frequency within an array

How is it possible to sort different nummeric values within an Array. But i don`t want the highest or the lowest. I need the most frequently occurring value. For examble: My Array has to following values = (200 404 404 500 404 404 404 200 404) The result should be 404 The values are... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: 2retti
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl array sorting

Hi All, I have an array in perl as @match = (201001,201002,201001,201002); I am trying to sort this array as @match = sort(@match); print "@match"; I dont see the output sorted any answers I also tried another way, but still the results are not sorted foreach my $match (sort { $a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bsdeepu
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sorting multi dimensional array

Hi there, Can someone let me know how to sort the 2 dimensional array below by column 1 then by column 2? 22 55 2222 2230 33 66 44 58 222 240 11 25 22 60 33 45 output: 11 25 22 55 22 60 33 45 33 66 44 58 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: phoeberunner
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting the alpha numeric results of Hash

Hi All I've got a perl script that I'm having a problem with when it prints the output of a hash. Some background. I'm trying to merge two file with a similar structure but with different data. Here is a portion of the script I'm using. while (<INPUT>) { my... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kingpin2502
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding BEGINNING & ENDING positions of sequentially increasing sublists from a perl numeric array

I have got an Perl array like: @array = (1,2,3,4,5,6,1,2,3,4,1,2,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9...............) This numeric sequence will be always sequentially increasing, unless it encounters, The beginning of the new sequentially increasing numeric sequence. SO in this array we get sequentially... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: teknokid1
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sorting left-justified numeric values

I have a file which looks roughly like this: 996 mmmmmmm 996 xxxxxxxxxxxxx 99600 ssssssssss 9964 fffffffffffff and would like to sort it numerically on the first field. I tried: sort -nr --key=1 .... The output I get is: 99600 ssssssssss 9964 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rovf
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting file based on a numeric column

Hi, I use UBUNTU 12.04. I have a file with this structure: Name 2 1245787 A G 12 14 12 14 .... Name 1 1245789 C T 13 12 12 12..... I would like to sort my file based on the second column so to have this output for example: Name 1 1245789 C T 13 12 12 12..... Name 2 1245787 A G 12 14... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Homa
4 Replies
asort(1)						      General Commands Manual							  asort(1)

NAME
asort - Sorts or merges files and supports multiple collating weight sequences SYNOPSIS
asort [-m] [-o output_file] [-Abdfinruv] [-Ccollate_sequence] [-k keydef]... [-t character] [-T directory] [-y] [kilobytes] [-z record_size]... file... asort -c [-u] [-Abdfinruv] [-Ccollate_sequence] [-k keydef]... [-t character] [-T directory] [-y] [kilobytes] [-z record_size]... file... The following syntax is maintained for backward compatibility but may be withdrawn in a future release: asort [-Abcdfimnruv] [-Ccol- late_sequence] [-o output_file] [-t character] [-T directory] [-y] [kilobytes] [-z record_size] [+fskip] [.cskip] [-fskip] [.cskip] [-bdfinr]... file... OPTIONS
The asort command includes the same options as the sort command (see sort(1)) in addition to the following options: Specifies the collating weight sequence to be used in sorting the data files. When this option is specified, the asort command does not use the collating table from the locale database. Instead, the command uses a set of special system and user collating tables to determine the collating weights of characters, including user-defined characters (UDCs). The collate_sequence argument can be in long form (for example, "Pinyin Radical Stroke") or short form (for example, prs). The code- set of the locale determines which collation weight names can be specified for collate_sequence. The following list specifies the long and short collation weight names that are valid for supported codesets. For DEC Hanzi: Pinyon (or p) Radical (or r) Stroke (or s) For DEC Hanyu, Taiwanese EUC, and BIG-5: Phonetic (or p) Radical (or r) Stroke (or s) Uses a breadth-first sorting mechanism instead of the default depth-first mechanism to sort the input data. To have any effect, the -v option must be used together with the -C option. DESCRIPTION
The asort command sorts lines in its input files and writes the result to standard output. The asort command is similar to the sort com- mand. See the sort(1) reference page for information about features the two commands have in common. The asort command provides additional features for processing multiple collating weight sequences used with Asian languages, such as Chi- nese. For example, pinyon (p), stroke (s), and radical (r) are three dimensions along which characters can be ordered in Simplified Chi- nese. The -C option allows users to specify the priority level that these dimensions have during sorting. For example, -C srp specifies that characters should be sorted first by stroke, then by radical, then by pinyon. The specified sequence is applied to user-defined char- acters (UDCs) as well as to standard characters. When the -C option is specified, the default behavior of the asort command is to use a depth-first sorting mechanism to sort the input files. With the depth-first mechanism, pairs of multibyte characters in a sort field are compared by exhausting all the specified collat- ing weights and/or internal codes one at a time until the collating order is resolved. Only when two characters are identical is the next pair of characters compared. The depth-first sorting mechanism is also called character sorting. However, the asort command provides the -v option to use the Asian VMS-like breadth-first sorting mechanism. With the breadth-first mecha- nism, pairs of multibyte characters in a sort field are compared using the first collating weight for all the characters in the sort field first. Only when two sets of data in a sort field are computed to have the same collating order are succeeding collating weights used for resolving the collating order. The breadth-first sorting mechanism is sometimes called string sorting. NOTES
Currently, the asort command is supported for use only with Chinese codesets. EXIT STATUS
The asort command returns the following exit values: All input files were output successfully, or -c was specified and the input file was correctly sorted. If -c was specified, the file was not ordered as specified, or if the -c and -u options were both specified, two input lines were found with equal keys. An error occurred. EXAMPLES
Unless stated otherwise, the following examples assume the locale setting is zh_TW.dechanyu: To perform character sorting first by stroke and then by radical, enter: asort -C"Stroke Radical" names This command displays the lines in names sorted in ascending order according to the number of strokes in characters. If the number of strokes happen to be the same for two characters, the radicals of the characters determine how the characters are ordered.An alternative short form of the same command is as follows: asort -Csr names To perform string sorting first by stroke and then by radical in a way similar to the sort command available on an Asian VMS system, enter: asort -v -C"Stroke Radical" names SEE ALSO
Commands: sort(1) Functions: setlocale(3) Files: locale(4) Others: Chinese(5), i18n_intro(5) asort(1)