Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Awk search for string pattern in delimited file Post 302442776 by milo7 on Thursday 5th of August 2010 12:01:00 PM
Old 08-05-2010
Basically, I expected 5 kinds of output after the = sign.

Code:
# '/' slash is the delimiter
month=;  #No Month Value
month=/;  #No Month Value
month=01/02;  #Valid Month/Valid Month
month=/02;  #No Month Value/Valid Month
month=13/;  #Invalid Month/No Month Value

given the file in my first post, and the validation logic in my second post, i would like to print
Code:
#original value followed by validation results
mth=/07  No Month Value/Valid Month 
month=08 Valid Month

mth=Aug/2010 Invalid Month/Invalid Month

I hope you can understand what I am trying to put across

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search Mulitiple String pattern in a file

Hi, I need to search for a multiple string pattern(5 key words) in a file(similar to a flat file) ,and i need to store the output in a another file . In that file we may have mutiple occurrences of the key words.and i need only the unique. kindly help out. Thanks, Mohana Krishnan (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishnan_6015@y
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Trim String in 3rd Column in Tab Delimited File...SED/PERL/AWK?

Hey Everybody, I am having much trouble figuring this out, as I am not really a programmer..:mad: Datafile.txt Column0 Column1 Column2 ABC DEF xxxGHI I am running using WGET on a cronjob to grab a datafile, but I need to cut the first three characters from... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rickdini
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search and replace string only in a particular column in a delimited file

I have file with multiple columns. Column values for a record may be same. Now i have to replace a column value(this can be same for the other columns) with new value. File.txt A,B,C,D,A,B,C,D,A,B,C,D A,B,C,D,A,B,C,D,A,B,C,D A,B,C,D,A,B,C,D,A,B,C,D A,B,C,D,A,B,C,D,A,B,C,D... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ksailesh
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed :Search and Replace a string pattern with empty in an xml file in unix

Search and Replace a string pattern with empty in an xml file in unix: My xml file would be like this : <Accounts><Name>Harish</Name><mobile>90844444444444445999 </mobile><TRIG>srcujim-1</TRIG></Accounts><Accounts><Name>Satish</Name><mobile>908999</mobile><TRIG>ettertrtt-1</TRIG></Accounts> ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: harish_s_ampeo
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk get search pattern from a file.

Here Is a problem I am facing with awk. Query --> I want to search for a string in a file and print next 15 lines below the matched string. 1.We do not have GNU grep so cannot use grep -A or grep -B commands. 2. Instead of passing the search pattern as a string to awk. I want the awk to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: togotutor
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for a pattern in a String file and count the occurance of each pattern

I am trying to search a file for a patterns ERR- in a file and return a count for each of the error reported Input file is a free flowing file without any format example of output ERR-00001=5 .... ERR-01010=10 ..... ERR-99999=10 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: swayam123
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk read one delimited file, search another delimited file

Hello folks, I have another doozy. I have two files. The first file has four fields in it. These four fields map to different locations in my second file. What I want to do is read the master file (file 2 - 23 fields) and compare each line against each record in file 1. If I get a match in all four... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dagamier
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can I use find command to search string/pattern in a file recursively?

Hi, How can I use find command to search string/pattern in a file recursively? What I tried: find . -type f -exec cat {} | grep "make" \; Output: grep: find: ;: No such file or directory missing argument to `-exec' And this: find . -type f -exec cat {} \; -exec grep "make" {} \;... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: cola
12 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Search a string inside a pattern matched block of a file

How to grep for searching a string within a begin and end pattern of a file. Sent from my Redmi 3S using Tapatalk (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Baishali
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Grep/awk using a begin search pattern and end search pattern

I have this fileA TEST FILE ABC this file contains ABC; TEST FILE DGHT this file contains DGHT; TEST FILE 123 this file contains ABC, this file contains DEF, this file contains XYZ, this file contains KLM ; I want to have a fileZ that has only (begin search pattern for will be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vbabz
2 Replies
CAL(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						    CAL(1)

NAME
cal, ncal -- displays a calendar and the date of Easter SYNOPSIS
cal [-3hjy] [-A number] [-B number] [[month] year] cal [-3hj] [-A number] [-B number] -m month [year] ncal [-3bhjJpwySM] [-A number] [-B number] [-s country_code] [[month] year] ncal [-3bhJeoSM] [-A number] [-B number] [year] ncal [-CN] [-H yyyy-mm-dd] [-d yyyy-mm] DESCRIPTION
The cal utility displays a simple calendar in traditional format and ncal offers an alternative layout, more options and the date of Easter. The new format is a little cramped but it makes a year fit on a 25x80 terminal. If arguments are not specified, the current month is dis- played. The options are as follows: -h Turns off highlighting of today. -J Display Julian Calendar, if combined with the -e option, display date of Easter according to the Julian Calendar. -e Display date of Easter (for western churches). -j Display Julian days (days one-based, numbered from January 1). -m month Display the specified month. If month is specified as a decimal number, it may be followed by the letter 'f' or 'p' to indicate the following or preceding month of that number, respectively. -o Display date of Orthodox Easter (Greek and Russian Orthodox Churches). -p Print the country codes and switching days from Julian to Gregorian Calendar as they are assumed by ncal. The country code as deter- mined from the local environment is marked with an asterisk. -s country_code Assume the switch from Julian to Gregorian Calendar at the date associated with the country_code. If not specified, ncal tries to guess the switch date from the local environment or falls back to September 2, 1752. This was when Great Britain and her colonies switched to the Gregorian Calendar. -w Print the number of the week below each week column. -y Display a calendar for the specified year. -3 Display the previous, current and next month surrounding today. -A number Display the number of months after the current month. -B number Display the number of months before the current month. -C Switch to cal mode. -N Switch to ncal mode. -d yyyy-mm Use yyyy-mm as the current date (for debugging of date selection). -H yyyy-mm-dd Use yyyy-mm-dd as the current date (for debugging of highlighting). -M Weeks start on Monday. -S Weeks start on Sunday. -b Use oldstyle format for ncal output. A single parameter specifies the year (1-9999) to be displayed; note the year must be fully specified: ``cal 89'' will not display a calendar for 1989. Two parameters denote the month and year; the month is either a number between 1 and 12, or a full or abbreviated name as speci- fied by the current locale. Month and year default to those of the current system clock and time zone (so ``cal -m 8'' will display a calen- dar for the month of August in the current year). Not all options can be used together. For example ``-3 -A 2 -B 3 -y -m 7'' would mean: show me the three months around the seventh month, three before that, two after that and the whole year. ncal will warn about these combinations. A year starts on January 1. SEE ALSO
calendar(3), strftime(3) HISTORY
A cal command appeared in Version 5 AT&T UNIX. The ncal command appeared in FreeBSD 2.2.6. The output of the cal command is supposed to be bit for bit compatible to the original Unix cal command, because its output is processed by other programs like CGI scripts, that should not be broken. Therefore it will always output 8 lines, even if only 7 contain data. This extra blank line also appears with the original cal command, at least on solaris 8 AUTHORS
The ncal command and manual were written by Wolfgang Helbig <helbig@FreeBSD.org>. BUGS
The assignment of Julian-Gregorian switching dates to country codes is historically naive for many countries. Not all options are compatible and using them in different orders will give varying results. BSD
March 14, 2009 BSD