Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Filter certain number of alphabets Post 302442613 by Franklin52 on Thursday 5th of August 2010 02:00:25 AM
Old 08-05-2010
Something like this?
Code:
awk '{p=$0;getline}length($0)>=50{print p RS substr($0,1,50)}' file

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Extracting only Alphabets from a value

Hi, I have file name (abcd001). I want to extract on the alphabets from this file name. I don't want the numeric part of it. Once i extract the alphabets the i can search for all those file. Could anyone help on this. Thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitkhiare
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

filter and get the latest order number

hello, how can I filter and get the latest order number (last five digits) below: input file: johnmm00001 maryyy00121 johnm100222 johnmm00003 maryyy00122 output file: johnmm00003 maryyy00122 johnm100222 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: happyv
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Omitting the last 2 alphabets in the words

Hi Guys, Bit new to Unix shell scripting so this question might seems little kiddish for you. what im trying to achieve here is : I have file which is compressed like Account_52320090605076_log.Z so in my shell script i call this file also as one of my parameters like ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: coolrekz
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking for Alphabets

echo -n "read this also:" read NewAuthor if ]' ) ] ; then echo "its a digit" else echo "something else" fi Hey guys , i am trying to do a search to check if the input is using alphabets and nothing else. I tried using ] and ] but none seems to work When i use digit, it read 22.k... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gregarion
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix Remove repetitive alphabets

Hi, I am trying to write a script that will take 2 or more instances of repetitive alphabets (ZZ) to be removed from a field. This should only happen from beginning and end of a field. For Example : Input File a) ZZZIBM Corporation b) ZZZIBM Corporation ZZZZZ b) IBM ZZZ... (26 Replies)
Discussion started by: msalam65
26 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

filter unique alphabets

Filter unique alphabets (bold) from input Thanx +SRR015270.1 HWI-B10_3_6069:2:1:653:875 length=32 SZZZZZZZZZZZZXZZZXZZZOECZZIZHUEM +SRR015270.2 HWI-B10_3_6069:2:1:455:450 length=32 ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZTT @SRR015270.3 HWI-B10_3_6069:2:1:453:499 length=32... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: repinementer
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

[ask]filter with line number in file

dear all about my last question in fileA.txt (all list line i want to find in fileB.txt) is content of line number fileA.txt 23 34 35 55 59 and fileB.txt is content like 24:asd|ekkk|001|001 123:bca|egsd|210|002 1231:cas|egds|322|231 ... in fileB.txt they have line number like... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: zvtral
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print combinations of alphabets in a sequence

Hi Friends, I have a series of alphabets like this AGCAA The values inside the square brace indicate that either of them can be present at that position. And those ones without a brace, means that they are the only ones that could be printed at that location. Now, I would like to know... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacobs.smith
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replace alphabets from certain positions

Hi all, I have column 2 full of values like HIVE4A-56 and HIVE4-56. I want to convert all values like HIVE4A-56 to HIVE4-56. So basically I want to delete all single alphabets before the '-' which is always preceded by a number. Values already in the desired format should remain unchanged... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ames1983
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace alphabets in a string with their ASCII values

hi. I have a requirement where I need to REPLACE all alphabets from an alphanumeric input string into their respective ASCII decimal value. For example: If the input string is ABAC123, the output should be 65666567123 I am seeking a single line command, and I was trying searching for options... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarjt
21 Replies
IO::Handle::Prototype::Fallback(3pm)			User Contributed Perl Documentation		      IO::Handle::Prototype::Fallback(3pm)

NAME
IO::Handle::Prototype::Fallback - Create IO::Handle like objects using a set of callbacks. SYNOPSIS
my $fh = IO::Handle::Prototype::Fallback->new( getline => sub { my $fh = shift; ... }, ); DESCRIPTION
This class provides a way to define a filehandle based on callbacks. Fallback implementations are provided to the extent possible based on the provided callbacks, for both writing and reading. SPECIAL CALLBACKS
This class provides two additional methods on top of IO::Handle, designed to let you implement things with a minimal amount of baggage. The fallback methods are all best implemented using these, though these can be implemented in terms of Perl's standard methods too. However, to provide the most consistent semantics, it's better to do this: IO::Handle::Prototype::Fallback->new( __read => sub { shift @array; }, ); Than this: IO::Handle::Prototype::Fallback->new( getline => sub { shift @array; }, ); Because the fallback implementation of "getline" implements all of the extra crap you'd need to handle to have a fully featured implementation. __read Return a chunk of data of any size (could use $/ or not, it depends on you, unlike "getline" which probably should respect the value of $/). This avoids the annoying "substr" stuff you need to do with "read". __write $string Write out a string. This is like a simplified "print", which can disregard $, and "$" as well as multiple argument forms, and does not have the extra "substr" annoyance of "write" or "syswrite". WRAPPING
If you provide a single reading related callback ("__read", "getline" or "read") then your callback will be used to implement all of the other reading primitives using a string buffer. These implementations handle $/ in all forms ("undef", ref to number and string), all the funny calling conventions for "read", etc. FALLBACKS
Any callback that can be defined purely in terms of other callbacks in a way will be added. For instance "getc" can be implemented in terms of "read", "say" can be implemented in terms of "print", "print" can be implemented in terms of "write", "write" can be implemented in terms of "print", etc. None of these require special wrapping and will always be added if their dependencies are present. GLOB OVERLOADING
When overloaded as a glob a tied handle will be returned. This allows you to use the handle in Perl's IO builtins. For instance: my $line = <$fh> will not call the "getline" method natively, but the tied interface arranges for that to happen. perl v5.10.1 2009-09-29 IO::Handle::Prototype::Fallback(3pm)