Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Uuencode & Uudecode - file gets corrupted Post 302442594 by fpmurphy on Wednesday 4th of August 2010 11:28:08 PM
Old 08-05-2010
No idea. But the place to look is IBM Support: Fix Central

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

detecting corrupted file

Hello, Newbie question: How can I detect a corrupted file from a script (ksh)? Thank you, Martin (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: starless
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

UUencode UUdecode

Could any 1 send me the details for uuencode and decode . I am working on something which was coded by some1 else using these two commands . I am having a a pwd file with password in the encrypted form as y\215G\216!A\231Ò.:¹... they use a key file which decrpt that pwd file ....key file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: myelvis
2 Replies

3. HP-UX

passwd file corrupted

Good Day Our HP box was hacked and the passwd file has been altered,there are only 2 user accounts active,and these dont have any administrative rights.I need to edit the passwd file to correct the su and root entries. Does any body have any suggestions as to how i can do this with out the root... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: cantona7
10 Replies

4. HP-UX

Could be a corrupted file?

Hello! Do you know the meaning of... "crw-rw---- 1 informix informix 64 0x020001 Jan 21 2004 rifxroot" I don't know what the first "c" means. Furthermor, if I try to copy this file (rifxroot) it appears a message: "cp: cannot open rifxroot: No such device or address" I don't... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kaugrs
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

may a corrupted .gz file be repaired?

Preparing for a move to a new server, I needed to offload about somewhat over a gigabyte of newsfeeds that my website collects, and that I had been saving on the server. I tarred them and zipped them into about a dozen smaller files of about 150Mb each. All seemed well. I downloaded them onto my... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: JohnTinker
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

uuencode & uudecode - permissions

$ ls -l example_1.sh -rwxr--r-- 1 vsetm7am nofiles 918 Sep 5 19:54 example_1.sh $ stat -c %a example_1.sh 744 $ uuencode "test.file" <example_1.sh >uuexample.uu $ uudecode uuexample.uu $ ls -l test.file -rw-r--r-- 1 vsetm7am nofiles 918 Sep 7 14:44 test.file How come that the user... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MartyIX
2 Replies

7. Solaris

WTMPX File corrupted

Hi All I work on solaris 8, 9 and 10 platforms and have encountered an error which is my wtmpx files appear to be corrupted as all entries contain the date 1970 (the birth of unix). Now this is obviously not the case, so my query is: 1 - Can the existing wtmpx files be manipulated to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: drestarr96
6 Replies

8. Red Hat

.bash_profile file corrupted

Hi, Unexpectedly i entered wrong entries in .bash_profile for my user which has administrative permissions. So, i am getting errors for every command. I dont have backup file also, so any body can help me how to recover it. Regards, Mastan (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mastansaheb
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Uuencode & Mailx

hi, i am trying to send a pdf attachment which has a name of 200 characters using uuencode and mailx. But the email is not getting delivered. uuencode <filename.pdf> <filename.pdf> | mailx -s "Test" <email_id> (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ATWC
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

After Ftp'ing file to destination how to check the file if it is in correct ASCII and not corrupted

Hi Folks, While transferring file from FTP software like Filezilla the files gets corrupted. Is there any way I can check if the recently transferred file is in ASCII and not corrupted. I have tried using file -i filename command which does tell if the file character set is ASCII or binary... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Khan28
6 Replies
uuencode(1)						      General Commands Manual						       uuencode(1)

NAME
uuencode, uudecode - encode a binary file, or decode its representation SYNOPSIS
uuencode [-m] [ file ] name uudecode [-o outfile] [ file ]... DESCRIPTION
Uuencode and uudecode are used to transmit binary files over channels that support only simple ASCII data. Uuencode reads file (or by default the standard input) and writes an encoded version to the standard output, using only printable ASCII characters. The encoded output begins with a header, for use by uudecode, which records the mode of the input file and suggests name for the decoded file that will be created. (If name is /dev/stdout then uudecode will decode to standard output.) The encoding has the format documented at uuencode(5), unless the option -m is given, when base64 encoding is used instead. Note: uuencode uses buffered input and assumes that it is not hand typed from a tty. The consequence is that at a tty, you may need to hit Ctl-D several times to terminate input. Uudecode transforms uuencoded files (or standard input) into the original form. The resulting file is named name (or outfile if the -o option is given) and will have the mode of the original file except that setuid and execute bits are not retained. If outfile or name is /dev/stdout the result will be written to standard output. Uudecode ignores any leading and trailing lines. The program determines from the header which of the two supported encoding schemes was used. EXAMPLES
The following example packages up a source tree, compresses it, uuencodes it and mails it to a user on another system. When uudecode is run on the target system, the file ``src_tree.tar.Z'' will be created which may then be uncompressed and extracted into the original tree. tar cf - src_tree | compress | uuencode src_tree.tar.Z | mail sys1!sys2!user SEE ALSO
compress(1), mail(1), uucp(1), uuencode(5) STANDARDS
This implementation is compliant with P1003.2b/D11. BUGS
If more than one file is given to uudecode and the -o option is given or more than one name in the encoded files are the same the result is probably not what is expected. The encoded form of the file is expanded by 37% for UU encoding and by 35% for base64 encoding (3 bytes become 4 plus control information). REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <bug-gnu-utils@gnu.org>. Please put sharutils or uuencode in the subject line. It helps to spot the message. HISTORY
The uuencode command appeared in BSD 4.0. uuencode(1)