Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting copy tail output to an external file in perl Post 302442487 by sureshcisco on Wednesday 4th of August 2010 12:14:55 PM
Old 08-04-2010
Pravin27....It works great Buddy! Thanks a lot.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Output from tail to a user

Hi all I've read through a few of these lists but can't find a right combination of answers (I can create VPN's but can't send an email!) Ok - I'm using taper as backup software which generates a log file called taper_log I want the last eight lines of this log file to be sent to a specified... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ifan
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I want to copy the text output from a 'nohup.out' file.

Hello, I have a nohup.out file that, when executed, outputs a spreadsheet file with four-to-seven columns of number. I want to copy this output (in its entirety), so that I could then paste it on excel@ , or Notepad@. Please help, thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Iamthe great
3 Replies

3. HP-UX

Can I copy a Unix file to a external memory stick?

I'm doing server maintainence to a HP UX server and I have 2 files that someone need for an unknown reason. I was wondering If I can put this files on a memory stick, or is there someother way I have to copy it for them? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: MarcKim
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

tail copy of a file to remote location

Hello, I have a solaris box and a windows server. The windows server runs cygwin for ssh service. I have an audit log in solaris box. When ever new records are added to the log file, this delta has to be trasported to a remote file in windows. I can do a ssh once in a while, but want the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: unori
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to read tail -F command output in perl

Hi All, How I will read the output of the tail -F command in perl. I have text file with below contains file1.txt 1 2 3 4 $running=1; sub openLog($) { (my $log) = @_; (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pravin27
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to tail a file in perl

Can any one please help why does tail -f does not work in the below code: Thanks in advance. #!/usr/bin/perl -w my $path = "/home/cs/logs/"; my $log = "log.txt"; `cd $path`; `tail -f $log`; (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sureshcisco
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

File Copy Perl

Hi Could you please help me on this I have folder called D:\Data in which we have 20 files coming daily and needed all 20 files to copy into D:\Target ,as i am new to PERL, i did nt know how to use this I googled sme of the code and done the copy script,it is throwing error like we do... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vaas
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl error while using File::Tail

Hi, Can someone help with this PERL code; I am getting this error while running below code: And this is the code: use File::Tail; $file=File::Tail->new("/some/log/file"); while (defined($line=$file->read)) { print "$line"; } I don't usually use PERL therefore I am not... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: INHF
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

I want to copy all files of a said type on my external hard drive

My code is this, what I'm trying to accomplish is to make a list of all pdf documents in my computer and then copy all of those documents to my external hard drive in a directory mkdir /Volumes/Hardrive-1/allpdf echo "File Locations" > /Volumes/Hardrive-1/allpdf/FileLocations.txt mdfind pdf... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: darpness
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirect output to memory instead of an external file

I use the following as an example. I find myself always doing this and I believe my scripts would run much faster if I put the sed results into a place in memory rather than writing to files. Again, its not about sed, its about redirecting to a place in memory rather than an external file. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: popeye
5 Replies
TAIL(1) 								FSF								   TAIL(1)

NAME
tail - output the last part of files SYNOPSIS
tail [OPTION]... [FILE]... DESCRIPTION
Print the last 10 lines of each FILE to standard output. With more than one FILE, precede each with a header giving the file name. With no FILE, or when FILE is -, read standard input. Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too. --retry keep trying to open a file even if it is inaccessible when tail starts or if it becomes inaccessible later -- useful only with -f -c, --bytes=N output the last N bytes -f, --follow[={name|descriptor}] output appended data as the file grows; -f, --follow, and --follow=descriptor are equivalent -F same as --follow=name --retry -n, --lines=N output the last N lines, instead of the last 10 --max-unchanged-stats=N with --follow=name, reopen a FILE which has not changed size after N (default 5) iterations to see if it has been unlinked or renamed (this is the usual case of rotated log files) --pid=PID with -f, terminate after process ID, PID dies -q, --quiet, --silent never output headers giving file names -s, --sleep-interval=S with -f, sleep for approximately S seconds (default 1.0) between iterations. -v, --verbose always output headers giving file names --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit If the first character of N (the number of bytes or lines) is a `+', print beginning with the Nth item from the start of each file, other- wise, print the last N items in the file. N may have a multiplier suffix: b for 512, k for 1024, m for 1048576 (1 Meg). With --follow (-f), tail defaults to following the file descriptor, which means that even if a tail'ed file is renamed, tail will continue to track its end. This default behavior is not desirable when you really want to track the actual name of the file, not the file descrip- tor (e.g., log rotation). Use --follow=name in that case. That causes tail to track the named file by reopening it periodically to see if it has been removed and recreated by some other program. AUTHOR
Written by Paul Rubin, David MacKenzie, Ian Lance Taylor, and Jim Meyering. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <bug-coreutils@gnu.org>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2002 Free Software Foundation, Inc. This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICU- LAR PURPOSE. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for tail is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and tail programs are properly installed at your site, the command info tail should give you access to the complete manual. tail (coreutils) 4.5.3 February 2003 TAIL(1)