Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting reading alternate lines of a file Post 302442373 by Franklin52 on Wednesday 4th of August 2010 05:02:28 AM
Old 08-04-2010
What have you tried so far and what is the "real world problem" of your question?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

alternate lines from two files

A basic request two files want to combine them but on alternate lines (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SummitElse
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

skip reading certain lines in a file

How can I exclude reading lines in a file that contains the following: filesystem:/home/pach/liv_patches 128005120 88456640 37270758 71% /home/patches That is, all lines that contain and begins with filesystem: should not be processed/read from a file (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: paulsew
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

alternate lines

Hi, I'm new to Unix. I want to read the all the lines from a text file and write the alternate lines into another file. Please give me a shell script solution. file1 ----- one two three four five six seven newfile(it should contain the alternate lines from the file1) ------- one... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pstanand
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert string in alternate lines

Hi All, In continuation of my previous thread 'Add text at the end of line conditionally', I need to further modfiy the file after adding text at the end of the line. Now, I need to add a fixed charater string at alternate lines starting from first line using awk or sed.My file is now as below:... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: angshuman
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

skip lines while reading a file

Hi Experts, I am tryin to read a file and while doing so i need to skip the lines which start with a hash (#) char. I thought of using a goto command but a lot of guys on this site say its not the good way to program. Moreover I am using a ksh shell which deos not support goto command. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bankimmehta
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regarding reading lines into a new file

Hi all, I jut use a loop to read lines from the user and redirect it to a file. echo "Enter the line" while read -r LINE do echo $LINE >> FILE if ;then break fi done input app... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Ananthdoss
1 Replies

7. Programming

Perl : joining alternate lines

Hi, I need to join every alternate line in a file for eg:input file $ cat abc abc def ghi jkloutput abc def ghi jklcode i wrote for this $ cat add_line.pl #!/usr/bin/perl -w my $count=1; #my $line=undef; my @mem_line; my $i=0; my $x=0; (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam05121988
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep values on alternate lines

Hi, I have a file like 2011|ACC|.* 2013|ACC|.* 2011|ACCC|.* 2013|ACCC|.* 2013|ACCV|.* 2011|ADB|.* 2013|ADB|.* 2011|ADBC|.* 2013|ADBC|.* 2011|AIA|.* 2013|AXJ|.* 2013|NNN|.* .* represnts any alphanumeric characters after this part of the string I need a code to return only the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam05121988
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Process alternate lines in awk/sed/perl

hi.. i have a fasta file with the following format >sequence1 CCGGTTTTCGATTTGGTTTGACT >sequence2 AAAGTGCCGCCAGGTTTTGAGTGT >sequence3 AGTGCCGCAGAGTTTGTAGTGT Now, i want to read alternate line and add "GGGGGGGGGGG" to end of every sequence Desired output: >sequence1... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: empyrean
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing alternate lines of code

Hi gents, Have only a passing familiarity with linux/shell at this point, so please forgive simple question. I have text files that have lines something like the following: a b c d d d e f e f e f a b (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cabled
6 Replies
ARITHMETIC(6)							 BSD Games Manual						     ARITHMETIC(6)

NAME
arithmetic -- quiz on simple arithmetic SYNOPSIS
arithmetic [-o +-x/] [-r range] DESCRIPTION
arithmetic asks you to solve problems in simple arithmetic. Each question must be answered correctly before going on to the next. After every 20 problems, it prints the score so far and the time taken. You can quit at any time by typing the interrupt or end-of-file character. The options are as follows: -o By default, arithmetic asks questions on addition of numbers from 0 to 10, and corresponding subtraction. By supplying one or more of the characters +-x/, you can ask for problems in addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division, respectively. If you give one of these characters more than once, that kind of problem will be asked correspondingly more often. -r If a range is supplied, arithmetic selects the numbers in its problems in the following way. For addition and multiplication, the numbers to be added or multiplied are between 0 and range, inclusive. For subtraction and division, both the required result and the number to divide by or subtract will be between 0 and range. (Of course, arithmetic will not ask you to divide by 0.) The default range is 10. When you get a problem wrong, arithmetic will remember the numbers involved, and will tend to select those numbers more often than others, in problems of the same sort. Eventually it will forgive and forget. arithmetic cannot be persuaded to tell you the right answer. You must work it out for yourself. DIAGNOSTICS
``What?'' if you get a question wrong. ``Right!'' if you get it right. ``Please type a number.'' if arithmetic doesn't understand what you typed. SEE ALSO
bc(1), dc(1) BSD
May 31, 1993 BSD