Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting copy tail output to an external file in perl Post 302442325 by pravin27 on Wednesday 4th of August 2010 02:56:14 AM
Old 08-04-2010
Code:
#!/opt/bin/perl -w
open my $pipe, "-|", "/usr/bin/tail", "/var/log/client.log" or die "could not start tail on /var/log/client.log : $!";
open (FW,">","/home/tail.txt");
print FW while <$pipe>;
close(FW);

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Output from tail to a user

Hi all I've read through a few of these lists but can't find a right combination of answers (I can create VPN's but can't send an email!) Ok - I'm using taper as backup software which generates a log file called taper_log I want the last eight lines of this log file to be sent to a specified... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ifan
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I want to copy the text output from a 'nohup.out' file.

Hello, I have a nohup.out file that, when executed, outputs a spreadsheet file with four-to-seven columns of number. I want to copy this output (in its entirety), so that I could then paste it on excel@ , or Notepad@. Please help, thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Iamthe great
3 Replies

3. HP-UX

Can I copy a Unix file to a external memory stick?

I'm doing server maintainence to a HP UX server and I have 2 files that someone need for an unknown reason. I was wondering If I can put this files on a memory stick, or is there someother way I have to copy it for them? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: MarcKim
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

tail copy of a file to remote location

Hello, I have a solaris box and a windows server. The windows server runs cygwin for ssh service. I have an audit log in solaris box. When ever new records are added to the log file, this delta has to be trasported to a remote file in windows. I can do a ssh once in a while, but want the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: unori
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to read tail -F command output in perl

Hi All, How I will read the output of the tail -F command in perl. I have text file with below contains file1.txt 1 2 3 4 $running=1; sub openLog($) { (my $log) = @_; (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pravin27
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to tail a file in perl

Can any one please help why does tail -f does not work in the below code: Thanks in advance. #!/usr/bin/perl -w my $path = "/home/cs/logs/"; my $log = "log.txt"; `cd $path`; `tail -f $log`; (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sureshcisco
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

File Copy Perl

Hi Could you please help me on this I have folder called D:\Data in which we have 20 files coming daily and needed all 20 files to copy into D:\Target ,as i am new to PERL, i did nt know how to use this I googled sme of the code and done the copy script,it is throwing error like we do... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vaas
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl error while using File::Tail

Hi, Can someone help with this PERL code; I am getting this error while running below code: And this is the code: use File::Tail; $file=File::Tail->new("/some/log/file"); while (defined($line=$file->read)) { print "$line"; } I don't usually use PERL therefore I am not... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: INHF
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

I want to copy all files of a said type on my external hard drive

My code is this, what I'm trying to accomplish is to make a list of all pdf documents in my computer and then copy all of those documents to my external hard drive in a directory mkdir /Volumes/Hardrive-1/allpdf echo "File Locations" > /Volumes/Hardrive-1/allpdf/FileLocations.txt mdfind pdf... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: darpness
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirect output to memory instead of an external file

I use the following as an example. I find myself always doing this and I believe my scripts would run much faster if I put the sed results into a place in memory rather than writing to files. Again, its not about sed, its about redirecting to a place in memory rather than an external file. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: popeye
5 Replies
nislog(1M)						  System Administration Commands						nislog(1M)

NAME
nislog - display the contents of the NIS+ transaction log SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/nislog [-h num | -t num] [-v] [directory...] DESCRIPTION
nislog displays the contents of the NIS+ server transaction log on the standard output. This command can be used to track changes in the namespace. The /var/nis/trans.log file contains the transaction log maintained by the NIS+ server. When updates occur, they are logged to this file and then propagated to replicas as log transactions. When the log is checkpointed, updates that have been propagated to the replicas are removed. The nislog command can only be run on an NIS+ server by superuser. It displays the log entries for that server only. If directory is not specified, the entire log is searched. Otherwise, only those logs entries that correspond to the specified directories are displayed. OPTIONS
-h num Display num transactions from the ``head'' of the log. If the numeric parameter is 0, only the log header is displayed. -t num Display num transactions from the ``tail'' of the log. If the numeric parameter is 0, only the log header is displayed. -v Verbose mode. FILES
/var/nis/trans.log transaction log ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWnisu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
nis+(1), rpc.nisd(1M), nisfiles(4), attributes(5) NOTES
NIS+ might not be supported in future releases of the SolarisTM Operating Environment. Tools to aid the migration from NIS+ to LDAP are available in the Solaris 9 operating environment. For more information, visit http://www.sun.com/directory/nisplus/transition.html. SunOS 5.10 12 Dec 2001 nislog(1M)