Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Bash As System Script
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bash As System Script Post 302442275 by jkraw90 on Wednesday 4th of August 2010 01:09:29 AM
Old 08-04-2010
Can't really utilize sudo as that would still require the password to be entered at some point. I want it to start and run automatically (without any user input needed) upon system boot.

Why is >/dev/null better than simply clear?

I'll give the ping thing a try.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to make your bash script run on a machine with csh and bash

hi, i have a script that runs on bash and would like to run it on a machine that has csh and bash. the default setting on that machine is csh. i dont want to change my code to run it with a csh shell. is there any way i can run the script (written in bash) on this machine? in other words is there... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: npatwardhan
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Help: users who are not logged into the system to display

A Newbie here, I am working on a script and am having problems with the else part of the script. I can't get the users who are not logged into the system to display on the screen with their username and the text "The user is not logged in". I am sure it is something simple and stupid, but I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rchirico
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script show Kill system output

Hi we are calling kill -9 $pid command from bash script it gives below output, but we need to hide the output. i tried /dev/null but ni luck. is there any alternate way to schive this. ../kill_scr.sh: line 42: 1891 Killed /tmp/anr_rest_mul_wc.sh Soalris 10. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sachinbutala
2 Replies

4. Programming

System Calls using C w/BASH

Hello all, I'm attempting to write a basic application that appends an arbitrary list of txt files to one txt file. So, for example, if the application is run like so: appendFileToFile file1.txt file2.txt file3.txt the system command should, hopefully be, cat >> testfile.txt I'm... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: whyte_rhyno
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Im new to bash scriping and i found this expression on a bash script what does this mean.

# check host value regex='^(||1|2|25)(\.(||1|2|25)){3}$' if ')" != "" ]; then if ]; then echo host $host not found exit 4 fi elif ]; then echo $host is an invalid host address exit 5 fi espeacailly the top regex part? ---------- Post updated at 06:58 PM ---------- Previous update was... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kevin298
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find all bash scripts on system

I want to find all bash scripts on my system. What I have so far is this: find / -type f \( -perm -u=x -o -perm -g=x -o -perm -o=x \) | xargs -I{} head -1 {} |grep bashThis will find all executables, read the first line and diplay it, if it contains "bash". Almost done, but I also need the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cochise
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Overwrite bash system command

Hello, The problem I met is the conflict between the default command /usr/bin/sometools, which is an very old version at system setup, and an updated one I have installed in $HOME/download-software/sometools How do I tell a third program to use the customized sometools instead of the default... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Student system BASH script

Hi guys, i'm beginner with Unix, I tried my best, but I Really don't know how to finish it :D. here's my problem : I have to do something like Student system - student's name | subjects | mark |credits. after starting script it will ask you for Student's name, then which subject, then the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: PrincMehi
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to block first bash script until second bash script script launches web server/site?

I'm new to utilities like socat and netcat and I'm not clear if they will do what I need. I have a "compileDeployStartWebServer.sh" script and a "StartBrowser.sh" script that are started by emacs/elisp at the same time in two different processes. I'm using Cygwin bash on Windows 10. My... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: siegfried
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

In Bash shell - the ps -ef shows only the /bin/bash but the script name is not displayed

In Bash shell - the ps -ef shows only the /bin/bash but the script name is not displayed ? Is there any way to get the script names for the process command ? --- Post updated at 08:39 AM --- in KSH (Korn Shell), my command output shows the script names but when run in the Bash Shell... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: i4ismail
3 Replies
dialups(4)							   File Formats 							dialups(4)

NAME
dialups - list of terminal devices requiring a dial-up password SYNOPSIS
/etc/dialups DESCRIPTION
dialups is an ASCII file which contains a list of terminal devices that require a dial-up password. A dial-up password is an additional password required of users who access the computer through a modem or dial-up port. The correct password must be entered before the user is granted access to the computer. The set of ports that require a dial-up password are listed in the dialups file. Each entry in the dialups file is a single line of the form: terminal-device where terminal-device The full path name of the terminal device that will require a dial-up password for users accessing the computer through a modem or dial-up port. The dialups file should be owned by the root user and the root group. The file should have read and write permissions for the owner (root) only. EXAMPLES
Example 1: A sample dialups file. Here is a sample dialups file: /dev/term/a /dev/term/b /dev/term/c FILES
/etc/d_passwd dial-up password file /etc/dialups list of dial-up ports requiring dial-up passwords SEE ALSO
d_passwd(4) SunOS 5.10 4 May 1994 dialups(4)