Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Bash As System Script
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bash As System Script Post 302442264 by jkraw90 on Wednesday 4th of August 2010 12:17:11 AM
Old 08-04-2010
Bash As System Script

My main machine is set-up so that I configure the network details (IP etc) by command line. However I'm trying to create an bash script to run those commands upon system startup. Problem I have is that the commands require root access and I want it to be fully automatic.

Now I figure I need to add the bash script into system script so the system runs it as root but not sure how to do that? I though of maybe it adding it to a directory where other start-up scripts are run like /etc or /init.d but it can't be that simple can it?

On a side note I'm also trying to make it actually test that the connection is running before saying Network Is Up. I can do this with Ping, but how do I access the return so that it can report if the ping failed (and network is down).

The script is

Code:
#!/bin/bash
ifconfig eth0 inet 10.13.23.201
route add default gw 10.13.23.1
clear
echo "Network Is Up"

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to make your bash script run on a machine with csh and bash

hi, i have a script that runs on bash and would like to run it on a machine that has csh and bash. the default setting on that machine is csh. i dont want to change my code to run it with a csh shell. is there any way i can run the script (written in bash) on this machine? in other words is there... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: npatwardhan
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Help: users who are not logged into the system to display

A Newbie here, I am working on a script and am having problems with the else part of the script. I can't get the users who are not logged into the system to display on the screen with their username and the text "The user is not logged in". I am sure it is something simple and stupid, but I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rchirico
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script show Kill system output

Hi we are calling kill -9 $pid command from bash script it gives below output, but we need to hide the output. i tried /dev/null but ni luck. is there any alternate way to schive this. ../kill_scr.sh: line 42: 1891 Killed /tmp/anr_rest_mul_wc.sh Soalris 10. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sachinbutala
2 Replies

4. Programming

System Calls using C w/BASH

Hello all, I'm attempting to write a basic application that appends an arbitrary list of txt files to one txt file. So, for example, if the application is run like so: appendFileToFile file1.txt file2.txt file3.txt the system command should, hopefully be, cat >> testfile.txt I'm... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: whyte_rhyno
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Im new to bash scriping and i found this expression on a bash script what does this mean.

# check host value regex='^(||1|2|25)(\.(||1|2|25)){3}$' if ')" != "" ]; then if ]; then echo host $host not found exit 4 fi elif ]; then echo $host is an invalid host address exit 5 fi espeacailly the top regex part? ---------- Post updated at 06:58 PM ---------- Previous update was... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kevin298
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find all bash scripts on system

I want to find all bash scripts on my system. What I have so far is this: find / -type f \( -perm -u=x -o -perm -g=x -o -perm -o=x \) | xargs -I{} head -1 {} |grep bashThis will find all executables, read the first line and diplay it, if it contains "bash". Almost done, but I also need the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cochise
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Overwrite bash system command

Hello, The problem I met is the conflict between the default command /usr/bin/sometools, which is an very old version at system setup, and an updated one I have installed in $HOME/download-software/sometools How do I tell a third program to use the customized sometools instead of the default... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Student system BASH script

Hi guys, i'm beginner with Unix, I tried my best, but I Really don't know how to finish it :D. here's my problem : I have to do something like Student system - student's name | subjects | mark |credits. after starting script it will ask you for Student's name, then which subject, then the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: PrincMehi
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to block first bash script until second bash script script launches web server/site?

I'm new to utilities like socat and netcat and I'm not clear if they will do what I need. I have a "compileDeployStartWebServer.sh" script and a "StartBrowser.sh" script that are started by emacs/elisp at the same time in two different processes. I'm using Cygwin bash on Windows 10. My... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: siegfried
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

In Bash shell - the ps -ef shows only the /bin/bash but the script name is not displayed

In Bash shell - the ps -ef shows only the /bin/bash but the script name is not displayed ? Is there any way to get the script names for the process command ? --- Post updated at 08:39 AM --- in KSH (Korn Shell), my command output shows the script names but when run in the Bash Shell... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: i4ismail
3 Replies
RBASH(1)						      General Commands Manual							  RBASH(1)

NAME
rbash - restricted bash, see bash(1) RESTRICTED SHELL
If bash is started with the name rbash, or the -r option is supplied at invocation, the shell becomes restricted. A restricted shell is used to set up an environment more controlled than the standard shell. It behaves identically to bash with the exception that the follow- ing are disallowed or not performed: o changing directories with cd o setting or unsetting the values of SHELL, PATH, ENV, or BASH_ENV o specifying command names containing / o specifying a file name containing a / as an argument to the . builtin command o specifying a filename containing a slash as an argument to the -p option to the hash builtin command o importing function definitions from the shell environment at startup o parsing the value of SHELLOPTS from the shell environment at startup o redirecting output using the >, >|, <>, >&, &>, and >> redirection operators o using the exec builtin command to replace the shell with another command o adding or deleting builtin commands with the -f and -d options to the enable builtin command o using the enable builtin command to enable disabled shell builtins o specifying the -p option to the command builtin command o turning off restricted mode with set +r or set +o restricted. These restrictions are enforced after any startup files are read. When a command that is found to be a shell script is executed, rbash turns off any restrictions in the shell spawned to execute the script. SEE ALSO
bash(1) GNU Bash-4.0 2004 Apr 20 RBASH(1)