Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Terminal emulator from scratch. Post 302442240 by mghis on Tuesday 3rd of August 2010 07:35:36 PM
Old 08-03-2010
Thanks for the answers.
I wanna write a basic terminal emulator: no color, no bold, no double-width.
I wanna wrote the terminal emulator only for learning propouses!

I'm using KERMIT (the dos version), but I'd prefere to the /dev/pts/x files, just like a basic version of the gnome-terminal.

Thanks for the link, Corona688. The file is really useful! Smilie But i have a problem! I compiled with 'gcc -o vterm vterm.c' but there are some errors!
Code:
> gcc -o vtterm vterm.c 
vterm.c: In function ‘system_noshell’:
vterm.c:162: warning: passing argument 2 of ‘execvp’ from incompatible pointer type
/usr/include/unistd.h:545: note: expected ‘char * const*’ but argument is of type ‘const char **’
/tmp/ccMAPeR5.o: In function `main':
vterm.c:(.text+0x257): undefined reference to `login_tty'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>

Thanks for any help

PS: I started learning the FLTK toolkit! It may be useful!

Last edited by mghis; 08-03-2010 at 08:40 PM.. Reason: Adding

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

how to use terminal emulator???

hello, can any body tell how to use terminal emulator.... i want to check he serial port communication with the help of that terminal emmulator.... also tell me how to open terminal emmulator.....and how to configure it........and how to use it... I am using fedora core 6..... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: arunchaudhary19
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

unix from scratch

hi all, i'm trying to write a unix system from scratch (not re-writing the kernel) does anyone have information about that? tips and stuff...?i would appreciate every help, thnks :) (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: elzalem
9 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Filesystem from scratch

Hey, Had anyone tried with writing a new FS - file system ( whether its useful or not, that doesn't matter ) ? I tried one couple of years ago, but that was a fatal failure :( and can't continue working on it since then. :( Anybody got some experience with writing file system from the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: matrixmadhan
4 Replies

4. Solaris

Tera Terminal Emulator

Hello Expert! :b: Question for you guys, Can anyone tell me how to use terminal emulator on Windows XP to view Solaris config? I have no idea on Solaris and the only thing I could do is to boot it up. Honestly, I have given a tasked to delete all the files and some necessary memory information... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: katsloko
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Terminal Emulator

Hi, I was just wondering how to distinguish between the two terms: 1. Terminal emulator (vt100, vt220 and so on) 2. shell command line Then i decided to conclude myself that these 2 are very equivalent. am I right? this actually came to my mind when I was using my HP-UX terminal. I am... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: messi777
1 Replies
WMANAGER-LOOP(1)					    BSD General Commands Manual 					  WMANAGER-LOOP(1)

NAME
wmanager-loop -- loop running window managers chosen with wmanager SYNOPSIS
wmanager-loop [OPTIONS ...] DESCRIPTION
The wmanager-loop program starts either the window manager specified by the WM variable or the first window manager listed in ~/.wmanagerrc (or an X terminal emulator if none), and when it exits, runs wmanager(1) to prompt the user for the next window manager. It loops doing this until the user chooses ``Exit this session'' in wmanager(1). Any options given to wmanager-loop will be passed on to wmanager(1). If the WM environment variable is set, the wmanager-loop program tries to interpret it as a window manager specification in the following ways in the specified order: o a full path to an executable file to run as the window manager; o the name of a window manager listed in the /.wmanagerrc file; e.g. ``fluxbox'' would match the following line: fluxbox=/usr/bin/startfluxbox o the program name of a window manager listed in the /.wmanagerrc file; e.g. ``startfluxbox'' would match the above example. o the start of such a program name; e.g. ``start'' would match the above example. o the end of such a program name; e.g. ``box'' would match the above example. If the WM variable is set and there is more than one line in ~/.wmanagerrc that matches the specification, wmanager-loop will exit with an error message. As mentioned above, if no window manager is specified in the WM environment variable or found in the ~/.wmanagerrc file, the wmanager-loop program attempts to start an X terminal emulator. If the WMTERM environment variable is set, the wmanager-loop program uses it as the path to the emulator. Otherwise it searches the user's path for a program named ``x-terminal-emulator'', ``urxvt'', ``rxvt'', or ``xterm'' in this order, and starts the first one found using its full path. If none of the common terminal emulators on the above list is found, the wmanager-loop program just runs ``xterm'' in the hope that something will come up on the user's display. ENVIRONMENT
The wmanager-loop program uses the following environment variables: WM The name, path, or partial path to the first window manager to execute. WMTERM The name of the X terminal emulator to execute if no window manager could be found in the ~/.wmanagerrc file. If not specified, the wmanager-loop program searches the user's path as described above. EXAMPLE
To start using wmanager-loop, create a ~/.wmanagerrc file - generally with wmanagerrc-update(1) - and add something like the following at the end of your ~/.xsession file: exec wmanager-loop -geometry +570+585 SEE ALSO
wmanager(1), wmanagerrc-update(1) HISTORY
The wmanager-loop program was written by Tommi Virtanen in 2000 and later modified by Peter Pentchev. This manual page was originally writ- ten in perldoc format by Tommi Virtanen in 2000, and converted to mdoc format and updated by Peter Pentchev in 2008. AUTHORS
Tommi Virtanen <tv@debian.org> Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net> BSD
September 8, 2009 BSD