Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting bad interpreter: Permission denied Post 302442068 by ladyAnne on Tuesday 3rd of August 2010 07:56:40 AM
Old 08-03-2010
bad interpreter: Permission denied

Hi

I am running a script:

Code:
#!bin/bash
set -x
echo"select *  from celldatamap;" || sqlcsv -v -h -s ',' -d MTNSA11G -u datasafe -p datasafe > andrea.csv

When I run my script
Code:
./tablescript.sh

I get the following error:

Code:

$ ./tablescript.sh
bash: ./tablescript.sh: bin/bash: bad interpreter: Permission denied

I have read up on this, I'm not sure how to solve it though, my script has full permissions.

Please help

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

/bin/sh: bad interpreter: Permission denied

today i started the LFS book (version 4.0). Basically i am using slackware 9.0 to try and install a new linux completely from source on another partition. Now i took the book's recommendations and created a user called lfs so i wouldn't have to do the stuff as root, and i have got the new LFS... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Calum
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

bad interpreter: Permission denied

I am writing an expect script but am getting a bad interpreter: permission denied error. I don't think the error has anything to do with expect itself, I think I am missing something in how I start the file. For instance, when I run the file under the expect directory it works: cd... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: earnstaf
7 Replies

3. Ubuntu

How to resolve bad interpreter error

Hi, Iam trying to run a gmake command and have the latest version of Gnu in my redhat linux system. I need to execute the following steps; ---> chmod +x utils/* ---> ./utils/AllCodeManagerFix ---> gmake LINUX Iam able to do the chmod command but when I run the second command I get... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: viji19812001
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl - bad interpreter: No such file or directory

Here is a puzzler. To start, let me say that I've done a search on this issue and it is definitely not related to line endings being encoded in windows returns. I get this error when I run SOME perl scripts. I have a script called hello_world.pl. I do $cp hello_world.pl new_hello_world.pl... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mjmtaiwan
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Executing expect script giving message as bad interpreter: Permission denied

Hi Gurus, I am new to scripting and needs your help in expect script used for telnet. I wrote a simple script as #!/usr/bin/expect-5.43 -f spawn telnet localhost 2233 expect "password:" send "secret\r" send "i data.cnbc.com\r" send "exit\r" expect eof When I am trying to execute... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: niks_yv
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

bad interpreter when running script

Hi All, I'm not confortable in writing script, can someone can help me, when I run that script below i found this error code : -bash: ./script.sh: /bin/sh.: bad interpreter: Here is the script for i in * x=${i##*.} z=$(perl -e 'print time;') t=$(echo $z-$x|bc)... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: bzb23
12 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bad Interpreter

Hi. My name is Caleb (a.k.a RagingNinja) form the whited00r forums. (Whited00r makes custom firmware for iOS devices). I have been learning and creating simple shells scripts. I have been recently using VIM for Windows or using VirtualBox to run the UBUNTU OS within VirtualBox to create my shell... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: RagingNinja
2 Replies

8. Red Hat

Not able to run any command /lib64/ld-Linux-x86-64.so.2: bad ELF interpreter

Hi, I accidentally did this: wadhwaso@nxsdgd01 deps]$sudo rpm -e --nodeps glibc-2.5-107.x86_64 error: %postun(glibc-2.5-107.x86_64) scriptlet failed, exit status 255 and since then I am not able to run any command on this server except 'cd'. I always get the following error: $ ls... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: stunn3r
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Sqlite3: /lib/ld-Linux.so.2: bad ELF interpreter:

Hi all I'm hoping this is just me being a muppet, has anyone come across this problem before? I am writing an application that uses sqlite3 and I have created a database using it - sqlite3 muse.db SQLite version 3.6.20 Enter ".help" for instructions Enter SQL statements terminated with... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: steadyonabix
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

-bash: ./p4: /bin/ksh^M: bad interpreter: No such file or directory

I keep getting this error and I am not sure why. -bash: ./p4: /bin/ksh^M: bad interpreter: No such file or directory First I run my makefile and this works fine: goodmain: main.o gcc -o goodmain main.o main.o: main.c gcc -c main.c Then I want to limit my output so I... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
11 Replies
CHECKBASHISMS(1)					      General Commands Manual						  CHECKBASHISMS(1)

NAME
checkbashisms - check for bashisms in /bin/sh scripts SYNOPSIS
checkbashisms script ... checkbashisms --help|--version DESCRIPTION
checkbashisms, based on one of the checks from the lintian system, performs basic checks on /bin/sh shell scripts for the possible presence of bashisms. It takes the names of the shell scripts on the command line, and outputs warnings if possible bashisms are detected. Note that the definition of a bashism in this context roughly equates to "a shell feature that is not required to be supported by POSIX"; this means that some issues flagged may be permitted under optional sections of POSIX, such as XSI or User Portability. In cases where POSIX and Debian Policy disagree, checkbashisms by default allows extensions permitted by Policy but may also provide options for stricter checking. OPTIONS
--help, -h Show a summary of options. --newline, -n Check for "echo -n" usage (non POSIX but required by Debian Policy 10.4.) --posix, -p Check for issues which are non POSIX but required to be supported by Debian Policy 10.4 (implies -n). --force, -f Force each script to be checked, even if it would normally not be (for instance, it has a bash or non POSIX shell shebang or appears to be a shell wrapper). --extra, -x Highlight lines which, whilst they do not contain bashisms, may be useful in determining whether a particular issue is a false posi- tive which may be ignored. For example, the use of "$BASH_ENV" may be preceded by checking whether "$BASH" is set. --version, -v Show version and copyright information. EXIT VALUES
The exit value will be 0 if no possible bashisms or other problems were detected. Otherwise it will be the sum of the following error val- ues: 1 A possible bashism was detected. 2 A file was skipped for some reason, for example, because it was unreadable or not found. The warning message will give details. SEE ALSO
lintian(1). AUTHOR
checkbashisms was originally written as a shell script by Yann Dirson <dirson@debian.org> and rewritten in Perl with many more features by Julian Gilbey <jdg@debian.org>. DEBIAN
Debian Utilities CHECKBASHISMS(1)