Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Displaying the Second Line of the Grep Search Results Post 302442022 by rujuraha on Tuesday 3rd of August 2010 05:56:18 AM
Old 08-03-2010
Code:
awk '/disconnect/ { getline; print $0;}' <inputfile>

Last edited by Scott; 08-03-2010 at 07:36 AM.. Reason: Added code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

diffrent results between command line and scripted grep

When I type a command at the command line it supplies one result and the exact same command in a script egrep '^01|^02|^03|^04' file > fileout count = 29353 same count in the script yields a count of 23492 is there any reason this could be happening. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: r1500
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

search whole line using grep

hi, how to search whole line using grep in a file. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: useless79
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Multiple Line search using grep

Hi All, I am trying to search multiple lines in file using grep /sed.And i cant seem to make it work. The File looks like this 5012001,100,AUTOBATCH,FEE,DAILYFEE,0,0 4241 SERVICE DENIED 5012002,100,AUTOBATCH,FEE,DAILYFEE,0,0 4241 SERVICE DENIED... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pistachio
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for Files and clear line after results

Hi, this is a little strange, i have the following code: if then echo -e "psa/admin/sbin present " which shows if a directory is present, but what I would like it to do is show the line and then remove its self and show the rest of the script... no idea what to look... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: foz
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep line pattern search

Hello everyone, I have been trying to get a list of all files containing a line of this type: };#followed by anything with any spaces (0 or more or 0 or more tabs) before the } and between each of the characters. I have been trying this : grep '*}*;*#*' *.c but I have not been fully... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gio001
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

String: Grep / SED for multy line search

Hi, At first I want to please you to provide the solution with grep/sed if possible. :cool: File looks like: wished result: so I want in a new file BLUE@@RED string from first line like: grep "/folder_start" cs_src > tmp1 string from second line: grep "/main" cs_src... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: unknown7
14 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can ctag and cscope support recording search results and displaying the history results ?

Hello , When using vim, can ctag and cscope support recording search results and displaying the history results ? Once I jump to one tag, I can use :tnext to jump to next tag, but how can I display the preview search result? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: 915086731
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing fields of two files and displaying results

Hello , I am trying to compare two files i.e one master file and the other exclusion file. If the second field of masterfile is oracle8 then I need to compare the 3rd field of master file with the 1st field of all the rows of exclusion file else I need to compare 2nd field from master file with... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahul2662
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple Results of Grep in one Line/String?

Hello, I have a Textfile sees like this "Word1":aksdfjaksdf "Word2":askdfjalsdkfdlsjfasldfj "This is Word3":asdfkjalskdfj what i need is a string which sees like this Word1;Word2;This is Word3 Conclusion always the text within "" which is before the : i tried it with grep.... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: SwordMaster
10 Replies

10. What is on Your Mind?

Search Results (Search, New, and Today's Topics) Animation Switch

Hey, I added an animation switch on the search results page; so by default the thread previews are off, but if you want to look at them, just click on the green button and the thread previews will turn on (and back off). See image and attached animation: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Neo
1 Replies
GREP(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   GREP(1)

NAME
grep, g - search a file for a pattern SYNOPSIS
grep [ option ... ] pattern [ file ... ] g [ option ... ] pattern [ file ... ] DESCRIPTION
Grep searches the input files (standard input default) for lines that match the pattern, a regular expression as defined in regexp(7) with the addition of a newline character as an alternative (substitute for |) with lowest precedence. Normally, each line matching the pattern is `selected', and each selected line is copied to the standard output. The options are -c Print only a count of matching lines. -h Do not print file name tags (headers) with output lines. -e The following argument is taken as a pattern. This option makes it easy to specify patterns that might confuse argument parsing, such as -n. -i Ignore alphabetic case distinctions. The implementation folds into lower case all letters in the pattern and input before interpre- tation. Matched lines are printed in their original form. -l (ell) Print the names of files with selected lines; don't print the lines. -L Print the names of files with no selected lines; the converse of -l. -n Mark each printed line with its line number counted in its file. -s Produce no output, but return status. -v Reverse: print lines that do not match the pattern. -f The pattern argument is the name of a file containing regular expressions one per line. -b Don't buffer the output: write each output line as soon as it is discovered. Output lines are tagged by file name when there is more than one input file. (To force this tagging, include /dev/null as a file name argument.) Care should be taken when using the shell metacharacters $*[^|()= and newline in pattern; it is safest to enclose the entire expression in single quotes '...'. An expression starting with '*' will treat the rest of the expression as literal characters. G invokes grep with -n and forces tagging of output lines by file name. If no files are listed, it searches all files matching *.C *.b *.c *.h *.m *.cc *.java *.cgi *.pl *.py *.tex *.ms SOURCE
/src/cmd/grep /bin/g SEE ALSO
ed(1), awk(1), sed(1), sam(1), regexp(7) DIAGNOSTICS
Exit status is null if any lines are selected, or non-null when no lines are selected or an error occurs. GREP(1)