Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting how to run non-standard commands in bash script? Post 302441891 by agama on Monday 2nd of August 2010 11:18:48 PM
Old 08-03-2010
When you say "it doesn't do anything" do you mean that you are getting an error message like "not found or no such file/directory," or literally nothing is happening?

There is a possibility that the command is being executed, but it is quietly aborting. Assuming that nwchem is either a bash or Kshell script, consider adding the command
Code:
set -x

at the start of nwchem -- if nwchem is being invoked, this might give you a clue as to why it is not executing as you intended.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

code that reads commands from the standard i/p and executes the commands

Hello all, i've written a small piece of code that will read commands from standard input and executes the commands. Its working fine and is execting the commands well. Accepting arguments too. e.g #mkdir <name of the directory> The problem is that its not letting me change the directory i.e... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Phrozen Smoke
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to make your bash script run on a machine with csh and bash

hi, i have a script that runs on bash and would like to run it on a machine that has csh and bash. the default setting on that machine is csh. i dont want to change my code to run it with a csh shell. is there any way i can run the script (written in bash) on this machine? in other words is there... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: npatwardhan
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run a shell script from one host which connext to remote host and run the commands

I want to write a script which would run from one host say A and connect to other remote host B and then run rest of commands in that host. I tried connecting from A host to B with SSH but after connecting to host B it just getting me inside Host B command prompt. Rest of the script is not running... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: SN2009
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

run commands within a script on certain days

Hi, please advise a script, something like this: If ; then do something else ( or for any other day of the week ) do otherthing fi Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: fed.linuxgossip
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Logging ALL standard out of a bash script to a log file, but still show on screen

Is it possible to store all standard-out of a bash script and the binaries it calls in a log file AND still display the stdout on screen? I know this is possible to store ALL stdout/stderr of a script to a single log file like: exec 1>&${logFile} exec 2>&1 But running a script with the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ckmehta
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

[bash] run a shell who runs commands

Hi all. On X11 I'm on a shell ...shell_1 (/bin/bash). From here I want to open another shell window shell_2 who executes commands like "ls -l" or programs like ". /program"... so the "result" of commands shows in shell_2 window and not in shell_1. Is that possible ? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerold
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run commands in a script in different shells

Hi to all, i have the following problem... i want to run three commands in a script in different shells... the first command is running always and is needed for the second on to run properly... example # Procedure 1 xterm -e exec1 arg1 arg2 # Procedure 2 xterm -e exec2 arg1 arg2 #... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: paladinaeon
6 Replies

8. IP Networking

How to run an script and its commands via proxy?

Hi, i used this tutorial which tells me to use following example command to proxify traffic from my linux export {http,https,ftp}_proxy=122.228.156.126:80 when i do this command from command line it works and then i curl http://site/ipcheck.php i see its proxified, which is what i want to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: postcd
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to run several bash commands put in bash command line?

How to run several bash commands put in bash command line without needing and requiring a script file. Because I'm actually a windows guy and new here so for illustration is sort of : $ bash "echo ${PATH} & echo have a nice day!" will do output, for example:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: abdulbadii
4 Replies

10. Solaris

Run automated bash commands from sh login shell

I use plink.exe to automate remote commands that return data to Windows machines. This works well on newer servers running Red Hat since the commands were developed for bash and the designated user's login shell is bash. I need to also support older servers which are running Solaris 10 but the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: randman1
5 Replies
script(1)							   User Commands							 script(1)

NAME
script - make record of a terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [-a] [filename] DESCRIPTION
The script utility makes a record of everything printed on your screen. The record is written to filename. If no file name is given, the record is saved in the file typescript. See WARNINGS. The script command forks and creates a sub-shell, according to the value of $SHELL, and records the text from this session. The script ends when the forked shell exits or when Control-d is typed. OPTIONS
The following option is supported: -a Appends the session record to filename, rather than overwriting it. NOTES
script places everything that appears on the screen in filename, including prompts. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
attributes(5) WARNINGS
script can pose a security risk when used in directories that are writable by other users (for example, /tmp), especially when run by a privileged user, that is, root. Be sure that typescript is not a link before running script. SunOS 5.10 30 Jan 2004 script(1)