Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Open the file and replace the variable with actual value Post 302441826 by bharathappriyan on Monday 2nd of August 2010 01:38:19 PM
Old 08-02-2010
Open the file and replace the variable with actual value

Hi,

i have a sql file named sample.sql. The query is given below.
select count(*) from $TABLE_NAME

In the main script, i am sourcing this sql. I need to replace the $TABLE_NAME with actual value, before running the query. How can i achieve that?

The logic i tried is given below:
VAR1=`cat sample.sql`
echo "$VAR1" > sample_Final.sql

The $TABLE_NAME is not replaced with actual value.

Thanks,
Bharathappriyam

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace string in a file w/ a variable value

I am trying to replace the default home page for several mac user accounts, I wrote a script that will hunt the files down and replace them with a pre-configured set. The problem I am having is that the download destination path for the browser is hard coded into a .plist (text config file) file... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tret
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace variable names in text file with its value

Hi I have a text file (mytext.txt), the content of which is as following: My name is <@MY_NAME@> and my age is <@MY_AGE@> . Now i have another property file (myprops) which is as following: MY_NAME=abcdefgh MY_AGE=000000 I was wondering, how can i replace the tags of mytext.txt, with its... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vigithvg
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

parsing data from xml file is failing can't open variable

Created a korn shell script, everything is is working except this section, the variable $SYSINFO is being set, but the NASIP & NASDEV are failing, it appears to be treating the config.xml file config directory and xml as the file. Need a second set of eyes to tell me where I am messing up. #... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: juanb25
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace text in file using variable

Hi, I'm making a script that automaticaly set file size and path in xml file. I tried with : sed -i 's/BOOTPATH/TEST/g' file.xml it works fine but if I use a viriable : sed -i 's/BOOTPATH/$bootpathf/g' file.xml with this one, no change are made. I don't understand why. If a make a ... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Toug
13 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace string in file with a variable value

Hi Fellows, I am new to shell, please help we me out in this.. i have file which some lines like this.. $$param1='12-jan-2011' $$param2='14-jan-2011' $$param3='30-jan-2011' . . .....so on.. I want to change $$param3 to '31-dec-2011'. i have variable which is storing(30-jan-2011 this... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: victor369
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

need to add user from command prompt not to open actual file

Here is my script which gives the below output when I run.First it will display the list of all groups and then ask for enter the group name and after it will ask for contribuotors or users then I will add contribuotirs or users and it will show the list of all users associated with that group but... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rohit22hamirpur
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find a variable in a file and replace its value

HI , I can't find a solution to the following: In a simple menu script I want to capture the input from the user with "read" and use it as a value in a variable Rempages="some_value" which is in a different script file. So I have to perform a search and replace for this variable and only... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: svetoslav_sj
4 Replies

8. Red Hat

How to pass value of pwd as variable in SED to replace variable in a script file

Hi all, Hereby wish to have your advise for below: Main concept is I intend to get current directory of my script file. This script file will be copied to /etc/init.d. A string in this copy will be replaced with current directory value. Below is original script file: ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cielle
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to replace actual generated date with sysdate?

Hi, currently I've a file with the following content: insert into CD_CARD_TYP (code, description, last_update_by, last_update_date) values ('024', '024', 2, to_date('29-03-2008 05:16:09', 'dd-mm-yyyy hh24:mi:ss')); insert into CD_CARD_TYP (code, description, last_update_by,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jediwannabe
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace variable value in first file based on records in second

Hello , I have below files a) File A <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no"?> <root xmlns="http://aaa/1.0" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" version="2.0"> <project name="source"> <mapping name="m_Source"> <parameter... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pratik4891
3 Replies
MYSQL_DB_QUERY(3)							 1							 MYSQL_DB_QUERY(3)

mysql_db_query - Selects a database and executes a query on it

SYNOPSIS
Warning This function was deprecated in PHP 5.3.0, and will be removed in the future, along with the entirety of the original MySQL exten- sion. Instead, the MySQLi or PDO_MySQL extension should be used. See also MySQL: choosing an API guide and related FAQ for more information. Alternatives to this function include: omysqli_select_db(3) then the query o PDO::__construct resource mysql_db_query (string $database, string $query, [resource $link_identifier = NULL]) DESCRIPTION
mysql_db_query(3) selects a database, and executes a query on it. o $database - The name of the database that will be selected. o $query - The MySQL query. Data inside the query should be properly escaped. o $ link_identifier -The MySQL connection. If the link identifier is not specified, the last link opened by mysql_connect(3) is assumed. If no such link is found, it will try to create one as if mysql_connect(3) was called with no arguments. If no connection is found or established, an E_WARNING level error is generated. Returns a positive MySQL result resource to the query result, or FALSE on error. The function also returns TRUE/ FALSE for INSERT/ UPDATE/ DELETE queries to indicate success/failure. +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ |Version | | | | | | | Description | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ | 5.3.0 | | | | | | | This function now throws an E_DEPRECATED notice. | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ Example #1 mysql_db_query(3) alternative example <?php if (!$link = mysql_connect('mysql_host', 'mysql_user', 'mysql_password')) { echo 'Could not connect to mysql'; exit; } if (!mysql_select_db('mysql_dbname', $link)) { echo 'Could not select database'; exit; } $sql = 'SELECT foo FROM bar WHERE id = 42'; $result = mysql_query($sql, $link); if (!$result) { echo "DB Error, could not query the database "; echo 'MySQL Error: ' . mysql_error(); exit; } while ($row = mysql_fetch_assoc($result)) { echo $row['foo']; } mysql_free_result($result); ?> Note Be aware that this function does NOT switch back to the database you were connected before. In other words, you can't use this function to temporarily run a sql query on another database, you would have to manually switch back. Users are strongly encouraged to use the database.table syntax in their sql queries or mysql_select_db(3) instead of this function. mysql_query(3), mysql_select_db(3). PHP Documentation Group MYSQL_DB_QUERY(3)