Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris BIND 9 ---> no /etc/named.conf file after installation Post 302441775 by presul on Monday 2nd of August 2010 12:12:49 PM
Old 08-02-2010
BIND 9 ---> no /etc/named.conf file after installation

Hi

I installed BIND 9 from dvd image of my Solaris 10 (SUNWbind, SUNWbindr) and when I try to start it(svcadm enable network/dns/server), it says there is no /etc/named.conf file.

Why is it so ?
Should not this file be created during installation phase ?
Do I have to create it manually ?
Is there some default template, that I can use to create it ?

thx for help.

---------- Post updated at 04:12 PM ---------- Previous update was at 02:00 PM ----------

I created it manually and server started properly.

touch /etc/named.conf

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

can't find named.conf to configuration DNS

Help me! I have problem. I can't find named.conf file in /etc (Solaris 5.6,SPRAC) Please! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nghia77
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parse "masters" ip from named.conf

Hi there, Im' trying to make a script to parse the BIND configuration file from my slave DNS server and obtain a certain parameter. The named.conf file has this format: zone "0.170.20.10.in-addr.arpa" { type slave; file "0/./db.0.170.20.10.in-addr.arpa.bak"; allow-notify {... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Citricut
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

seeking help with perl to read named.conf

Hello, I am seeking help with someone with perl expertise that can create me a script that will read a named.conf file and create a csv or a text file on each of the zones that the named.conf contains. An excerpt of named.conf looks like: acl "our_nets" { 127.0.0.1/32; ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: richsark
2 Replies

4. Solaris

basic question on sd.conf and lpc.conf file

Hello Guys, Do we need to configure this file only if we add SAN disk or even if we add local disk, do we need to modify? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mokkan
4 Replies

5. Solaris

Solaris 8 bind 9 named question

Hi, I can't rememeber what passwd is set for the "named" user in bind. Is there possibly a default one or anyway to find it ? I'm worried about changing it and causing other issues, if I did change it what other files would I need to edit ? :( Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sysop400
1 Replies

6. Red Hat

Bind named query

Hello! I have a DNS server running named on a RHEL 6.2 for very small development servers/clients network. I see the below logs on /var/named/data/named.run error (network unreachable) resolving 'D.ROOT-SERVERS.NET/AAAA/IN': 198.41.0.4#53 error (network unreachable) resolving... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: admin_xor
2 Replies

7. Red Hat

Named.conf file missing Centos 5.

hello everyone, I have install centos 5 recently.The file /etc/named.conf not found. I have installed BIND using yum. so now what to do ?? should i create named.conf file manually ??? please help me. thanks, sharlin. :) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sharlin
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl Compare zone files in directory with what is listed in named.conf

I would really appreciate any assistance that I can get here. I am fairly new to perl. I am trying to rewrite my shell scripts to perl. Currently I have a shell script (using sed, awk, grep, etc) that gets a list of all of the zone files in a directory and then looks in named.conf for what... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: brianjb
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to update rsyslog.conf and auditd.conf

Hello all, Newbie here. I'm currently tasked with updating rsyslog.conf and auditd.conf on a large set of servers. I know the exact logging configurations that I want to enable. I have updated both files on on a server and hope to use the updated files as a template for the rest of the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mide
3 Replies

10. Solaris

Configure resolv.conf and nsswitch.conf

Hi, I've installed Solaris 11.3(live media) and configured DNS. Everytime I reboot the server, resolv.conf got deleted and it created a new nsswitch.conf. I used below to configure both settings: # svccfg -s dns/client svc:/network/dns/client> setprop config/nameserver = (xx.xx.xx.aa... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: flexihopper18
1 Replies
PMDANAMED(1)						       Performance Co-Pilot						      PMDANAMED(1)

NAME
pmdanamed - BIND (named) PMDA DESCRIPTION
pmdanamed is a Performance Metrics Domain Agent (PMDA) which exports metric values from the BIND DNS server. Further details on BIND can be found at http://isc.org/. INSTALLATION
If you want access to the names and values for the named performance metrics, do the following as root: # cd $PCP_PMDAS_DIR/named # ./Install If you want to undo the installation, do the following as root: # cd $PCP_PMDAS_DIR/named # ./Remove pmdanamed is launched by pmcd(1) and should never be executed directly. The Install and Remove scripts notify pmcd(1) when the agent is installed or removed. FILES
/var/named/data/named_stats.txt statistics file showing values exported from named /var/named/chroot/var/named/data/named_stats.txt chroot variant of statistics file showing values exported from named $PCP_PMDAS_DIR/named/Install installation script for the pmdanamed agent $PCP_PMDAS_DIR/named/Remove undo installation script for the pmdanamed agent $PCP_LOG_DIR/pmcd/named.log default log file for error messages from pmdanamed SEE ALSO
pmcd(1), named.conf(5), named(8). 3.8.10 Performance Co-Pilot PMDANAMED(1)