Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Alias setting in Solaris
Operating Systems Solaris Alias setting in Solaris Post 302441666 by jdash.ps on Monday 2nd of August 2010 02:28:46 AM
Old 08-02-2010
Question Alias setting in Solaris

Hi All,

I need some information on 'Alias' setting in SUN SOLARIS.Smilie

Q1. I want to know how can i set my alias here.
Q2. How to view all set 'ALIAS' for me. (say /home/jdash user)
Q3. Can i modify the set 'Alias' for me or for whole environment.
Q4. Is Alias setting can be change as O/S Versions.

Waiting for all positive reply.
Thanks,
Jdash

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Setting a boot device alias on Sun hardware

I watched this done a long time ago, but cannot find it anywhere. I need to alias the boot device "disk" to /sbus@7,0/QLGC,isp@0,10000/sd@c,0 I think I need to set "use-nvramrc?" to true, and then create an alias within the nvramrc to point disk to the boot disk, but this is the step I cannot... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: 98_1LE
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Query regarding alias and setting bash as a default script

Hi All, I am setting bash as my working shell in my .profile file. So I have written a line : bash as the list line in my .profile I want to use alias as follows: alias me='who am i' When i log in, as expeced I enter the bash shell but alias doesn't work. Is it because the alias is defined... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: VENC22
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Alias in solaris

Hi, i need to create a alias in my solaris 10 , i have edited ~/.profile and added like alias c='clear'and exit the terminal and open again and checked to see working or not but it's still not working (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: malickhat
9 Replies

4. Red Hat

Setting an alias in Redhat

Hi Everyone, I am trying to set up alias the only way I now how, buy making entry into .bashrc file. The entry I made is alias ll='ls -lrt' It is not working as I expect. When I enter "alias" at the command line I get the following. $ alias alias l.='ls -d .* --color=tty' alias... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jxh461
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Setting alias for a user - Linux ubuntu

Hi i have a user "SYSTEM" i want to set the below command in his .profile for an alias: who | awk '{print $1}'| sed '/SYSTEM/d' | sed '/root/d' |xargs -i pkill -u {} i tried as below: alias stop = " who | awk '{print $1}'| sed '/SYSTEM/d' | sed '/root/d' |xargs -i pkill -u {}" ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: joycesolomon
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Setting alias with echoing embedded $ sign

I tried to set up some alias in my .profile to save typing. One of the alais i tried to set up is alais test='echo 123$acct54679abc' But when I typed in test in the command line. The echo only dispaly 123 and truncated all the string starting from the $ sign. Is there any way to display the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: oht
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

alias setting

I want to set an alias to connect to sqlplus and also run a command while it it logs in. How can I do that? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: som.nitk
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not able to create alias in bash Sun solaris

Hello Friends, I am facing problem in creating aliases. I am working in SunOS 5.10. When I login in system i have been given ksh shell. What i am doing is that ? I am changing shell to bash then I am creating 2 alias in command prompt like: alias deploy_dir=' cd... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: krsnadasa
4 Replies

9. Solaris

How to set a global alias in UNIX Solaris?

Defined a user alias in unix. Not able to use that alias in a ksh scritp. I dont want to change/source in the script to set the value. Need to set the user alias as a gloabal alias to use it in a new ksh shell window. Can you please help on this? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rbalaj16
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Setting alias (quotes, acutes)

Hello, I'd like to have an alias to view some processes sorted: I have:ps -ef | grep pmon | awk -F" " '{ print $8" "$0 }' | sort | cut -d" " -f2- | grep -v "grep pmon" It doesn't work, however, if I put it as alias because on acutes insize awk:alias pmon='ps -ef | grep pmon | awk -F" " '{ print... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: JackK
4 Replies
Encode::Alias(3pm)					 Perl Programmers Reference Guide					Encode::Alias(3pm)

NAME
Encode::Alias - alias definitions to encodings SYNOPSIS
use Encode; use Encode::Alias; define_alias( "newName" => ENCODING); define_alias( qr/.../ => ENCODING); define_alias( sub { return ENCODING if ...; } ); DESCRIPTION
Allows newName to be used as an alias for ENCODING. ENCODING may be either the name of an encoding or an encoding object (as described in Encode). Currently the first argument to define_alias() can be specified in the following ways: As a simple string. As a qr// compiled regular expression, e.g.: define_alias( qr/^iso8859-(d+)$/i => '"iso-8859-$1"' ); In this case, if ENCODING is not a reference, it is "eval"-ed in order to allow $1 etc. to be substituted. The example is one way to alias names as used in X11 fonts to the MIME names for the iso-8859-* family. Note the double quotes inside the single quotes. (or, you don't have to do this yourself because this example is predefined) If you are using a regex here, you have to use the quotes as shown or it won't work. Also note that regex handling is tricky even for the experienced. Use this feature with caution. As a code reference, e.g.: define_alias( sub {shift =~ /^iso8859-(d+)$/i ? "iso-8859-$1" : undef } ); The same effect as the example above in a different way. The coderef takes the alias name as an argument and returns a canonical name on success or undef if not. Note the second argument is ignored if provided. Use this with even more caution than the regex version. Changes in code reference aliasing As of Encode 1.87, the older form define_alias( sub { return /^iso8859-(d+)$/i ? "iso-8859-$1" : undef } ); no longer works. Encode up to 1.86 internally used "local $_" to implement ths older form. But consider the code below; use Encode; $_ = "eeeee" ; while (/(e)/g) { my $utf = decode('aliased-encoding-name', $1); print "position:",pos," "; } Prior to Encode 1.86 this fails because of "local $_". Alias overloading You can override predefined aliases by simply applying define_alias(). The new alias is always evaluated first, and when necessary, define_alias() flushes the internal cache to make the new definition available. # redirect SHIFT_JIS to MS/IBM Code Page 932, which is a # superset of SHIFT_JIS define_alias( qr/shift.*jis$/i => '"cp932"' ); define_alias( qr/sjis$/i => '"cp932"' ); If you want to zap all predefined aliases, you can use Encode::Alias->undef_aliases; to do so. And Encode::Alias->init_aliases; gets the factory settings back. Note that define_alias() will not be able to override the canonical name of encodings. Encodings are first looked up by canonical name before potential aliases are tried. SEE ALSO
Encode, Encode::Supported perl v5.16.2 2012-10-25 Encode::Alias(3pm)