Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Adding filename to each line of the file Post 302441626 by jaduks on Sunday 1st of August 2010 11:19:06 PM
Old 08-02-2010
Code:
$ cat details.txt 
2424|asdsd|121
1212|adad|9898
12|6767

$ awk 'BEGIN {OFS="|"} {print $0,FILENAME}' details.txt 
2424|asdsd|121|details.txt
1212|adad|9898|details.txt
12|6767|details.txt

Another hint:

$ fname='details.txt'; while read line; do echo -n "$line|"; echo $fname; done < details.txt

2424|asdsd|121|details.txt
1212|adad|9898|details.txt
12|6767|details.txt

Regarding your sed question # 1, you should use double quotes for sed to expand the variable.
This User Gave Thanks to jaduks For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to adding the filename into file contents

Dear Experts, Please help to teach me how to add the filename into the file content so that i can get the output below:- Actually the file name ***************New output that I want*************** =====2005-11-12===== EVENTS-20050912 03:33:37 ALARM: BTSSPAN-277-1 30-18013... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: missutoomuch
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding filename into file content

Dear Experts, Please help to teach me how to add the filename into the file content. Actually the file name are EVENTS-20050912. ***************New output that I want*************** EVENTS-20050912 03:33:37 ALARM: BTSSPAN-277-1 30-18013 EVENTS-20050912 12:10:28 ALARM: BTSSPAN-297-2... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: missutoomuch
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

adding a line to a file

I want to add a line at the beginning and at the end of a file.. e.g. echo "at the beginning.." > tmp_file && cat file >> tmp_file && echo "last line" >> tmp_file && mv tmp_file file is there a nice way for doing that?? Thx (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: andy2000
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grabing Date from filename and adding to the end of each line in the file.

Hi, I have 24 .dat files something like below. The file name starts with “abc” followed by two digit month and two digit year. Is there a way to grab the month and year from each filename and append it to the end of each line. Once this is done I want to combine all the files into file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rkumar28
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extract first line of a file and use as filename

I am trying to find a way to create a script which will extract the first line of a file and then rename the file (or create a new file with the same content as the old file) using the first line as the name. The first line being a single word, that is. I am hopeless at programming, if anyone can... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: s.plumb
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replacing first line of file by >filename

Hi All, I have a set of files named S5_SK1.chr01 S5_SK1.chr02 S5_SK1.chr03 ..... and the first line of these files is >SK1.chr01 >SK1.chr02 >SK1.chr03 ..... Can anyone suggest how I can change the first line of all these files with the filename itself? So my expected output for the first lines of... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: pawannoel
14 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding tab/new line at the end of each line of a file

Hello Everyone, I need a help from experts of this community regarding one of the issue that I am facing with shell scripting. My requirement is to append char's at the end of each line of a file. The char that will be appended is variable and will be passed through command line. The... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sourav Das
20 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding filename and line number from multiple files to final file

Hi all, I have 20 files (file001.txt upto file020.txt) and I want to read them from 3rd line upto end of file (line 1002). But in the final file they should appear to start from line 1. I need following kind of output in a single file: Filename Line number 2ndcolumn 4thcolumn I... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: bioinfo
14 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding new line to file

Hi everyone, currently I writing a script for comparing 2 variable in 2 line then output the line with equal value to new file. However, the new file only contain last line only, the earlier line was delete. I do google my problem but still not find the way out. Sorry for my English. Thank you... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: lazy_bear
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding line in a file using info from previous line

I have a shell script that looks something like the following: mysql -uroot db1 < db1.sql mysql -uroot db2 < db2.sql mysql -uroot db3 < db3.sql mysql -uroot db4 < db4.sql .... different db names in more than 160 lines. I want to run this script with nohup and have a status later. So,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: MKH
6 Replies
GMT_SHELL_FUNCTIONS.SH(1gmt)				       Generic Mapping Tools				      GMT_SHELL_FUNCTIONS.SH(1gmt)

NAME
gmt_shell_functions.sh - Practical functions to be used in GMT bourne shell scripts SYNOPSIS
gmt_init_tmpdir gmt_remove_tmpdir gmt_clean_up [prefix] gmt_message message gmt_abort message gmt_nrecords file(s) gmt_nfields string gmt_get_field string gmt_get_region file(s) [options] gmt_get_gridregion file [options] gmt_get_map_width -R -J gmt_get_map_height -R -J gmt_set_psfile file gmt_set_framename prefix framenumber gmt_set_framenext framenumber DESCRIPTION
gmt_shell_functions.sh provides a set of functions to Bourne (again) shell scripts in support of GMT. The calling shell script should include the following line, before the functions can be used: . gmt_shell_functions.sh Once included in a shell script, gmt_shell_functions.sh allows GMT users to do some scripting more easily than otherwise. The functions made available are: gmt_init_tmpdir Creates a temporary directory in /tmp or (when defined) in the directory specified by the environment variable TMPDIR. The name of the temporary directory is returned as environment variable GMT_TMPDIR. This function also causes GMT to run in `isolation mode', i.e. all temporary files will be created in GMT_TMPDIR and the .gmtdefaults file will not be adjusted. gmt_remove_tmpdir Removes the temporary directory and unsets the GMT_TMPDIR environment variable. gmt_cleanup Remove all files and directories in which the current process number is part of the file name. If the optional prefix is given then we also delete all files and directories that begins with the given prefix. gmt_message Send a message to standard error. gmt_abort Send a message to standard error and exit the shell. gmt_nrecords Returns the total number of lines in file(s) gmt_nfields Returns the number of fields or words in string gmt_get_field Returns the given field in a string. Must pass string between double quotes to preserve it as one item. gmt_get_region Returns the region in the form w/e/s/n based on the data in table file(s). Optionally add -Idx/dy to round off the answer. gmt_get_gridregion Returns the region in the form w/e/s/n based on the header of a grid file. Optionally add -Idx/dy to round off the answer. gmt_map_width Expects the user to give the desired -R -J settings and returns the map width in the current measurement unit. gmt_map_height Expects the user to give the desired -R -J settings and returns the map height in the current measurement unit. gmt_set_psfile Create the output PostScript file name based on the base name of a given file (usually the script name $0). gmt_set_framename Returns a lexically ordered filename stem (i.e., no extension) given the file prefix and the current frame number, using a width of 6 for the integer including leading zeros. Useful when creating animations and lexically sorted filenames are required. gmt_set_framenext Accepts the current frame integer counter and returns the next integer counter. NOTES
1. These functions only work in the bourne shell (sh) and their derivatives (like ash, bash, ksh and zsh). These functions do not work in the C shell (csh) or their derivatives (like tcsh), and cannot be used in DOS batch scripts either. 2. gmt_shell_functions.sh were first introduced in GMT version 4.2.2 and have since been regularly expanded with other practical scripting short-cuts. If you want to suggest other functions, please do so by mailing to the GMT mailing list: gmt-help@lists.hawaii.edu. SEE ALSO
GMT(1), sh(1), bash(1), minmax(1), grdinfo(1) GMT 4.5.7 15 Jul 2011 GMT_SHELL_FUNCTIONS.SH(1gmt)