Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Filtering Unique Lines
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions Filtering Unique Lines Post 302441586 by billydeanmak on Sunday 1st of August 2010 11:51:15 AM
Old 08-01-2010
Filtering Unique Lines

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data:

The uniq command excludes consecutive duplicate lines. It has a -c option to display a count of the number of occurances of each line.

-using the man pages as necessary, analyze the following command:

history | cut -c 8-100 | cut -d " " -f 1 | sort | uniq -c

2. Relevant commands, code, scripts, algorithms:

3. The attempts at a solution (include all code and scripts):

This was the results from running the command. I have no clue what the command is doing and how the it got the results. Could someone please explain what this command is doing?

william.makarevich@socrates:/home/801NANBEA$ history | cut -c 8-100 | cut -d " " -f 1 | sort | uniq -c
2 ~
2 Andy
2 Anne
6 awk
5 cal
25 cat
11 cd
1 chgrp
2 Claudia
27 clear
1 ~clear
1 cls
7 cp
1 cut
2 %D
2 Danny
85 date
1 ~date
1 del
2 Dennis
3 diff
6 echo
1 env
8 exit
2 grep
1 groups
4 head
1 hist
16 history
2 hostname
1 id
2 Jeff
2 Lewis
2 Lisa
1 list
25 ls
51 man
1 ~man
2 Mickey
2 Mini
3 mkdir
1 more
1 msn
2 mv
1 ps
14 pwd
3 q
1 :q
1 Q
1 QQ
4 quit
1 :quit
2 Rex
4 rm
1 rmdir
2 Robert
2 Ruby
1 Sat,
2 Sherelene
4 sort
2 spell
4 tail
2 Tony
1 touch
2 Vermont
14 vi
5 wc
2 which
2 Wilbert
2 william.makarevich@socrates:~$
2 Williams
2 Yoga
2 ZZ

4. Complete Name of School (University), City (State), Country, Name of Professor, and Course Number (Link to Course):

Colorado Tech University
Colorado Springs, CO, USA
Professor: Matt Hodges
Course # CS146

Note: Without school/professor/course information, you will be banned if you post here! You must complete the entire template (not just parts of it).

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Filtering duplicate lines

Does anybody know a command that filters duplicate lines out of a file. Similar to the uniq command but can handle duplicate lines no matter where they occur in a file? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: AreaMan
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove All Lines Between Two Unique Lines

Hi all! Im wondering if its possible to remove all lines between two lines. Im working with a document like this: data1 data2 <Remove> data3 data4 </Remove> data5 data6 I need it to end up like this if that possible: data1 data2 data5 data6 There are multiple instances of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Grizzly
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Filtering similar lines in a big list

I received this question for homework: We have to write our program into a .sh file, with "#!/bin/bash" as the first line. And we have the list of access logs in a file, looking like this (it's nearly 10,000 lines long): 65.214.44.112 - - "GET /~user0/cgg/msg08400.html HTTP/1.0" 304 -... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Andrew9191
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

In a huge file, Delete duplicate lines leaving unique lines

Hi All, I have a very huge file (4GB) which has duplicate lines. I want to delete duplicate lines leaving unique lines. Sort, uniq, awk '!x++' are not working as its running out of buffer space. I dont know if this works : I want to read each line of the File in a For Loop, and want to... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishnix
16 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Filtering a file for unique entries

Hi All, I am trying to filter out a txt file containing 2 columns. Which has got website name and response time as below. Website_name response_time yahoo 22 google 21 yahoo 34 rediff 45 google 43 rediff 31 I want filter the above file with unique website names which has got highest... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: anilreddy103
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Filtering data -extracting specific lines

I have a table to data which one of the columns include string of text from within that, I am searching to include few lines but not others for example I want to to include some combination of word address such as (address.| address? |the address | your address) but not (ip address | email... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: A-V
17 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Transpose lines from individual blocks to unique lines

Hello to all, happy new year 2013! May somebody could help me, is about a very similar problem to the problem I've posted here where the member rdrtx1 and bipinajith helped me a lot. https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/211147-map-values-blocks-single-line-2.html It is very... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ophiuchus
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Filtering out lines in a .csv file

Hi Guys, Would need your expert help with the following situation.. I have a comma seperated .csv file, with a header row and data as follows H1,H2,H3,H4,H5..... (header row) 0,0,0,0,0,1,2.... (data rows follow) 0,0,0,0,0,0,1 ......... ......... i need a code... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: dev.devil.1983
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk/sed : help on:Filtering multiple lines to one:

Experts Good day, I want to filter multiple lines of same error of same day , to only 1 error of each day, the first line from the log. Here is the file: May 26 11:29:19 cmihpx02 vmunix: NFS write failed for server cmiauxe1: error 5 (RPC: Timed out) May 26 11:29:19 cmihpx02 vmunix: NFS... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rveri
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Print unique lines without sort or unique

I would like to print unique lines without sort or unique. Unfortunately the server I am working on does not have sort or unique. I have not been able to contact the administrator of the server to ask him to add it for several weeks. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
7 Replies
STG-EDIT(1)							   StGit Manual 						       STG-EDIT(1)

NAME
stg-edit - edit a patch description or diff SYNOPSIS
stg edit [options] [<patch>] DESCRIPTION
Edit the description and author information of the given patch (or the current patch if no patch name was given). With --diff, also edit the diff. The editor is invoked with the following contents: From: A U Thor <author@example.com> Date: creation date Patch description If --diff was specified, the diff appears at the bottom, after a separator: --- Diff text Command-line options can be used to modify specific information without invoking the editor. (With the --edit option, the editor is invoked even if such command-line options are given.) If the patch diff is edited but does not apply, no changes are made to the patch at all. The edited patch is saved to a file which you can feed to "stg edit --file", once you have made sure it does apply. OPTIONS
-d, --diff Edit the patch diff. -e, --edit Invoke interactive editor. --sign Add a "Signed-off-by:" to the end of the patch. --ack Add an "Acked-by:" line to the end of the patch. -m MESSAGE, --message MESSAGE Use MESSAGE instead of invoking the editor. -f FILE, --file FILE Use the contents of FILE instead of invoking the editor. (If FILE is "-", write to stdout.) --save-template FILE Instead of running the command, just write the message template to FILE, and exit. (If FILE is "-", write to stdout.) When driving StGit from another program, it is often useful to first call a command with --save-template, then let the user edit the message, and then call the same command with --file. --author "NAME <EMAIL>" Set the author details. --authname NAME Set the author name. --authemail EMAIL Set the author email. --authdate DATE Set the author date. -O OPTIONS, --diff-opts OPTIONS Extra options to pass to "git diff". STGIT
Part of the StGit suite - see linkman:stg[1] StGit 03/13/2012 STG-EDIT(1)