Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Sed save changes to same file in loop Post 302441560 by alienated on Sunday 1st of August 2010 04:30:01 AM
Old 08-01-2010
Sed save changes to same file in loop

I have got problems saving sed changes to the same file in a loop.
Basically I want the delimited value in every line of the file to be set to blank according to the value stored in var. var can be changed anytime.
I do not have sed -i and i've tried to mv the file. Any other ideas?

My file contents
Code:
31-JUL-10;31-JUL-10;29-JUL-10;29-JUL-10;30-JUL-10;30-JUL-10

to
Code:
;;29-JUL-10;29-JUL-10;30-JUL-10;30-JUL-10

My code
Code:
var="1;2"
IFS=";"

for i in $var
    do
        sed 's/[^;][^;]*;/;/$i' $file> $temp 
        mv $temp $file
    done

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Save cURL verbose output to file or do it like browser "save as.."

hi there ! i have exactly the same problem like this guy here https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/127668-getting-curl-output-verbose-file.html i am not able to save the curl verbose output.. the sollution in this thread (redirecting stderr to a file) does not work for me.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: crabmeat
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

what is the switch to let sed edit and save file

I remember there is a sed switch i can use to edit and save the file at the same time, but i cannot recall it at all. so instead of -> sed 's/A/B/' file > file-tmp -> mv file-tmp file what can i do to just let sed edit and save the "file" (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: fedora
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed and save same file

hi, Im trying to do a sed and save it in teh same file using sed -i option But i think my system doesnt supports that option at all. BTW, im working in ksh. Is there any alternate for this? Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dvah
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

CSV file:Find duplicates, save original and duplicate records in a new file

Hi Unix gurus, Maybe it is too much to ask for but please take a moment and help me out. A very humble request to you gurus. I'm new to Unix and I have started learning Unix. I have this project which is way to advanced for me. File format: CSV file File has four columns with no header... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: arvindosu
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

loop through lines and save into separate files

I have two files: file-gene_families.txt that contains 30,000 rows of 30 columns. Column 1 is the ID column and contains the Col1 Col2 Col3 ... One gene-encoded CBPs ABC 111 ... One gene-encoded CBPs ABC 222 ... One gene-encoded CBPs ABC 212 ... Two gene encoded CBPs EFC... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed delete but save deleted output into other file

Hi guys, I am currently using this to save first 50 lines into top50.txt and delete them from list.txt ... it's 2 commands: head -n 50 list.txt > top50.txt && sed -i "1,50 d" list.txt I want to change that so it's 1 command - whereby sed removes the first 50 lines as above but that which is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: holyearth
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loop through file and replace with sed

Hello all, I need some help please. I got file1 with names. foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar and I got file2 with some text some text some text #KEYWORD some text some text some text (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: stinkefisch
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed in a loop/to remove lines contained in variable from file

I've tried numerous commands, but I am not sure how to use sed in a loop. This is what I have: VARZ contains CARD_FILE_LIST and it also contains CARD_FILE_LIST2 so echo "$VARZ" CARD_FILE_LIST CARD_FILE_LIST2 I have a file with 60 lines in /tmp/testfile it and I want those lines deleted... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie2010
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Save value from output of Corestat and save in a list for each core

I am trying to modify the "corestat v1.1" code which is in Perl.The typical output of this code is below: Core Utilization CoreId %Usr %Sys %Total ------ ----- ----- ------ 5 4.91 0.01 4.92 6 0.06 ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zam_1234
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - add/edit to file and save - sed?

I'm working on a script to execute a number of items. One being, editing particular files to add certain lines. I'm attempting to utilize sed, but, having issues when running from a bash script. Assistance is greatly appreciated. My example: sed -i '14 i\ # add these lines add these lines to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nvizn
5 Replies
OHCOUNT(1)							   User Commands							OHCOUNT(1)

NAME
ohcount - manual page for ohcount 3.0.0 SYNOPSIS
ohcount [option] [paths...] DESCRIPTION
Ohloh source code line counter command line tool. http://www.ohloh.net/ [option] can be one of the following: -a, --annotate -d, --detect -h, --help -i, --individual -l, --license -re -s, --summary -a, --annotate Show annotated source code The contents of all source code files found within the given paths will be emitted to stdout. Each line will be prefixed with a tab-delimited language name and semantic categorization (code, comment, or blank). -d, --detect Find source code files Recursively find all source code files within the given paths. For each source code file found, the file name will be emitted to stdout prefixed with a tab-delimited language name. -h, --help Display this message -i, --individual Count lines of code per file Count lines in all source code files within the given paths, and emit a report of the lines of code, comments, and blanks in each language per file. -l, --license Displays detected licensing information contained in each source code file. -re Prints raw entity information to the screen (mainly for debugging). -s, --summary Count lines of code (default) Count lines in all source code files within the given paths, and emit a report of the total number of lines of code, comments, and blanks in each language. This is the default action. [paths] can refer to any number of individual files or directories. Directories will be probed recursively. If no path is given, the current directory will be used. ohcount 3.0.0 September 2011 OHCOUNT(1)