Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Launching shell scripts from different dirs Post 302441478 by Scott on Saturday 31st of July 2010 06:10:30 AM
Old 07-31-2010
Hi.

You can use the pwd command, or the $PWD variable to see where you are when you launch the script.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Difference between writing Unix Shell script and AIX Shell Scripts

Hi, Please give me the detailed Differences between writing Unix Shell script and AIX Shell Scripts. Thanks in advance..... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: haroonec
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Launching a new bash shell

I'm new to programming on unix and have a really simple question (google hasn't been my friend today). I have a bash shell running on a remote machine. I'm looking at it from a windows PC using Exceed. Is there a command I can use from the shell which will launch another bash shell? Thanks! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gsd
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script to create dirs

hi, I would like to know of a shell script to create the following A script which will take in two parameters i.e. name of file and SID and create directories named /opt/oracle/admin/$SID/{bdump,cdump,udump}. Then edit the init file and change the three lines that look like this. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sjajimi
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Launching Several Shells....

Hi, I need to create a shell that launches several shells named for example svspush (that does nothing but wait) and record their pid in a file. Any inputs please. Thanks, Marconi (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: marconi
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

calling 'n' number of shell scripts based on dependency in one shell script.

Hello gurus, I have three korn shell script 3.1, 3.2, 3.3. I would like to call three shell script in one shell script. i m looking for something like this call 3.1; If 3.1 = "complete" then call 3.2; if 3.2 = ''COMPlete" then call 3.3; else exit The... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shashi369
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Launching a C program that needs input from a shell script

hi there, i need some help, i am trying to run a script to launch a C program and a Java program but before running both I want to get a user input and then invoke both programs with input received. In the programs the inputs are not command line arguments. This is the code, after the java... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: momal
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Launching shell from another

hi, I have shell script ( say A.sh) that launches another shell script ( say B.sh) on the server. In shell script A.sh, if i call B.sh as . B.sh <-- it doesnt work, err file not found . ./B.sh <-- it doesnt work, err file not found ./B.sh <-- works why so? BTW the file exists at the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sjc
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not correct processing of “\ “ in names of dirs inside shell script (tar command - system backup scr

Hello, Recently, I've started with shell scripting, and decided to write a script for my system backup using tar. When I was dealing with tar execution inside shell script I found this, inside shell we have the following code: tar $TAR_PARAMS $ARCHIVE_FILE $EXCLUDE $BACKUP_STARTwith... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ilnar
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

**HELP** how to do a listing of dirs and all sub dirs only

I am trying to get a listing of ALL directories only under /export (as an example). I can get all the dirs directly under /export but I need any sub dirs under those dirs. I've looked (here and google) but can not find anything that works (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbraml
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Launching mplayer from within Links2 using a shell script

I'm using the Links2 console web browser in graphical mode (the "-g" argument), and launching a shell script that invokes MPlayer from within it. MPlayer works fine. No problem there. The problem, is that I have no control over the MPlayer process. I would like to be able to exit MPlayer whenever... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: ignatius
16 Replies
PWD(1P) 						     POSIX Programmer's Manual							   PWD(1P)

PROLOG
This manual page is part of the POSIX Programmer's Manual. The Linux implementation of this interface may differ (consult the correspond- ing Linux manual page for details of Linux behavior), or the interface may not be implemented on Linux. NAME
pwd - return working directory name SYNOPSIS
pwd [-L | -P ] DESCRIPTION
The pwd utility shall write to standard output an absolute pathname of the current working directory, which does not contain the filenames dot or dot-dot. OPTIONS
The pwd utility shall conform to the Base Definitions volume of IEEE Std 1003.1-2001, Section 12.2, Utility Syntax Guidelines. The following options shall be supported by the implementation: -L If the PWD environment variable contains an absolute pathname of the current directory that does not contain the filenames dot or dot-dot, pwd shall write this pathname to standard output. Otherwise, the -L option shall behave as the -P option. -P The absolute pathname written shall not contain filenames that, in the context of the pathname, refer to files of type symbolic link. If both -L and -P are specified, the last one shall apply. If neither -L nor -P is specified, the pwd utility shall behave as if -L had been specified. OPERANDS
None. STDIN
Not used. INPUT FILES
None. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
The following environment variables shall affect the execution of pwd: LANG Provide a default value for the internationalization variables that are unset or null. (See the Base Definitions volume of IEEE Std 1003.1-2001, Section 8.2, Internationalization Variables for the precedence of internationalization variables used to determine the values of locale categories.) LC_ALL If set to a non-empty string value, override the values of all the other internationalization variables. LC_MESSAGES Determine the locale that should be used to affect the format and contents of diagnostic messages written to standard error. NLSPATH Determine the location of message catalogs for the processing of LC_MESSAGES . PWD If the -P option is in effect, this variable shall be set to an absolute pathname of the current working directory that does not contain any components that specify symbolic links, does not contain any components that are dot, and does not contain any compo- nents that are dot-dot. If an application sets or unsets the value of PWD, the behavior of pwd is unspecified. ASYNCHRONOUS EVENTS
Default. STDOUT
The pwd utility output is an absolute pathname of the current working directory: "%s ", <directory pathname> STDERR
The standard error shall be used only for diagnostic messages. OUTPUT FILES
None. EXTENDED DESCRIPTION
None. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values shall be returned: 0 Successful completion. >0 An error occurred. CONSEQUENCES OF ERRORS
If an error is detected, output shall not be written to standard output, a diagnostic message shall be written to standard error, and the exit status is not zero. The following sections are informative. APPLICATION USAGE
None. EXAMPLES
None. RATIONALE
Some implementations have historically provided pwd as a shell special built-in command. In most utilities, if an error occurs, partial output may be written to standard output. This does not happen in historical implementations of pwd. Because pwd is frequently used in historical shell scripts without checking the exit status, it is important that the historical behavior is required here; therefore, the CONSEQUENCES OF ERRORS section specifically disallows any partial output being written to stan- dard output. FUTURE DIRECTIONS
None. SEE ALSO
cd, the System Interfaces volume of IEEE Std 1003.1-2001, getcwd() COPYRIGHT
Portions of this text are reprinted and reproduced in electronic form from IEEE Std 1003.1, 2003 Edition, Standard for Information Technol- ogy -- Portable Operating System Interface (POSIX), The Open Group Base Specifications Issue 6, Copyright (C) 2001-2003 by the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Inc and The Open Group. In the event of any discrepancy between this version and the original IEEE and The Open Group Standard, the original IEEE and The Open Group Standard is the referee document. The original Standard can be obtained online at http://www.opengroup.org/unix/online.html . IEEE
/The Open Group 2003 PWD(1P)