Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris metadevices: how to test metadb (how to corrupt replicas/understanding replicas) Post 302440969 by kumarmani on Thursday 29th of July 2010 03:42:41 AM
Old 07-29-2010
Your state database is showing no issue reason being the below one has not executed

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/md/rdsk/c1t1d0s3

in above md is only used for virtual file system, and in above should receive an error message. 2nd point is for running of volume manager the minimum functioning database is needed is more then 50% +1 in your case if all the meatda file is on one partition, and if you corrupt the metadb then your entire filesystem is going to get corrupted.

you can use metadb –f for deletion and addition of state replica.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

SDS and replicas

Hello, We are using Solstice Disk Suite on Solaris 2.7. We want to add two striped volume with six disks. On each disk, we take a slice and we create the stripe. That I want to know : Is it necessary to add two replicas on the same slice on the new disks, as made before on the others... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: christophe
1 Replies

2. Solaris

insufficient metadevice database replicas ERROR

First I would like to thank this forum for assisting me in setting up my 1st sunbox. Could not have done it if it had not been for you guys and google :D I have mirrored my box and have SUCCESSFULLY tested booting from the rootdisk and rootmirror successfully. I am now looking at configuring... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mr_manny
2 Replies

3. Solaris

Problem with DiskSuite replicas

Good morning, I have Solstice disk suite installed on my server. One disk broke so I sostitute it. A replica was present on this disk. I had delete and then recreate it with commands metadb -d and metadb -a. Now when I inquire for the status of replicas I see this: stp11# metadb -i ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bonovox
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Metadevices in mirroring ?

Hi Guys. I have the follow disk mappig.... My doubt is that the filesystem root is in mirroring. I can see this in the configuration but , I dont know exactly if this in mirroring mean disk in RAID. In short: Watching the configuration...Can I said if the filesystem / is in Raid? ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aggadtech08
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Test on string containing spacewhile test 1 -eq 1 do read a $a if test $a = quitC then break fi d

This is the code: while test 1 -eq 1 do read a $a if test $a = stop then break fi done I read a command on every loop an execute it. I check if the string equals the word stop to end the loop,but it say that I gave too many arguments to test. For example echo hello. Now the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Max89
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Solaris Volume Manger - Database Replicas Question - Benefits of Increasing Default Size?

Hey all! I was hoping someone knew anything about this one... I know with Solaris Volume Manager the default Database Replica size is 8192 blocks (4MB approximately) Now I know you can increase this amount but is there any point? The reason I am asking this is that I've setup mirroring on... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Keepcase
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Metadevices deleted

Hi Guys, We have an issue, all metadb's on system was deleted and the system was rebooted. the system is currented mounted in single-user mode . its a x86 server. the volumes under SVM is as follows. / /var and /usr please suggest Please use code tags <- click the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: karthick.sh
1 Replies

8. Solaris

SVM - Metadevices are offline after changing hostname solaris x86

Hi , We are facing an issue on one of our solaris x86 server, After changing the hostname and a orderly reboot , all metadevices shows offline. please let us know the steps to restore back all metadevices to working state with this new hostname (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthick.sh
3 Replies

9. Solaris

zfs raidz2 - insufficient replicas

I lost my system volume in a power outage, but fortunately I had a dual boot and I could boot into an older opensolaris version and my raidz2 7 drive pool was still fine. I even scrubbed it, no errors. However, the older os has some smb problems so I wanted to upgrade to opensolaris11. I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: skk
3 Replies

10. Solaris

Creating metadevices

Hi I am new to SVM, but I would like to configure it in one of my servers. The setup is as follows: I have one server running solaris 10 , and is connected to a NetApp via iSCSI protocol. This is how I intend to do it: Ask the NetApp admin, to provide me with 3 LUNs of 100G each, them use the... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: fretagi
14 Replies
metarecover(1M) 					  System Administration Commands					   metarecover(1M)

NAME
metarecover - recover soft partition information SYNOPSIS
/sbin/metarecover [-n] [-v] [-s setname] component -p /sbin/metarecover [-n] [-v] [-s setname] component -p {-d} /sbin/metarecover [-n] [-v] [-s setname] component -p {-m} DESCRIPTION
The metarecover command scans a specified component to look for soft partition configuration information and to regenerate the configura- tion. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -d Recover soft partitions in the metadevice state database from the extent headers on the device. Options -d and -m are mutu- ally exclusive. -m Regenerate the extent headers and reapplies them to the underlying device based on the soft partitions listed in the metadevice state database. Options -d and -m are mutually exclusive. -n Do not actually perform the operation. Show the output or errors that would have resulted from the operation, had it been run. -p Regenerate soft partitions based on the metadevice state database or extent headers on the underlying device. If neither -d nor -m are specified, this option compares the soft partition information in the metadevice state database to the extent headers. -s setname Specify the name of the diskset on which metarecover works. Using the s option causes the command to perform its function within the specified diskset. Without the -s option, the metarecover command operates on the metadevices and/or hot spare pools in the local diskset. This option is required to recover former sps from a diskset component or raw-device. setname must be identical to the former setname in which the sps were created. The set numbers, however, seem irrelevant. -v Verbose mode, displaying the changes being made. OPERANDS
The following operand is supported: component Specifies the c*t*d*s* number of the disk or slice containing the partitions, or the device name (for example, d10) of the metadevice containing the partitions. component can be a slice name, component name, /dev/dsk path, or /dev/rdsk path. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Updating Metadevice State Database Based on Disk Extent Headers A disk containing soft partitions is moved from one system to another. The system administrator would like to use the existing soft parti- tions. metarecover updates the metadevice state database based on the extent headers on the disk. # metarecover -v c0t3d0s2 -p -d Example 2: Updating Metadevice State Database Based on Incomplete Soft Partition Creation A system crashes in the middle of creating a new soft partition. The soft partition is in the creating state and the driver does not let that device be opened. metarecover rewrites the extent headers for the partially created soft partition and mark it as Okay. # metarecover -v c0t3d0s2 -p -m Example 3: Updating Extent Headers Based on Metadevice State Database Someone accidentally overwrote a portion of a disk leaving extent headers destroyed. metarecover rewrites the extent headers to ensure a valid soft partition configuration, though user data is not recovered. # metarecover -v d5 -m Example 4: Validating Soft Partition Configuration To validate the existing soft partition configuration, use metarecover with only the -p flag. # metarecover c0t3d0s2 -p EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWmdr | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
mdmonitord(1M), metaclear(1M), metadb(1M), metadetach(1M), metahs(1M), metainit(1M), metaoffline(1M), metaonline(1M), metaparam(1M), metarename(1M), metareplace(1M), metaroot(1M), metaset(1M), metassist(1M), metastat(1M), metasync(1M), metattach(1M), md.tab(4), md.cf(4), mddb.cf(4), md.tab(4), attributes(5), md(7D) Solaris Volume Manager Administration Guide SunOS 5.10 2 Jun 2004 metarecover(1M)