Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers find files on first level folder Post 302440689 by iga3725 on Wednesday 28th of July 2010 02:41:56 AM
Old 07-28-2010
find files on first level folder

Hi:

I have:

Code:
folderA
   |----folderB
              |----folder1
              |----folder2
              |----folder3
                       |----folder3.1

Question:

How can I find *.txt ONLY from /folderA/folderB/ and not the others folder1,2,3??

I tried:
Code:
 find /folderA/folderB/ -name *.txt

but it didn't work.

thanks
Israel.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find files in current folder only?

How do I find files in current folder only? We are on AIX 5.3, so maxdepth is not supported. I tried to do this find /dir1/dir2/dir3/dir4 -prune -type f to display all files in /dir1/dir2/dir3/dir4 only but it does not show any files. Somehow the -prune option works for dir3 level... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hangman2
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

find how many files are in use in a folder

How can i find how many files are in use in a folder or its sub folders in unix i tried with fuser .. but i coulnt getting ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: smongam
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

operation on a folder level

hi, need help in writing a script in perl. requirement : 1. Search for the files in a particular folder 2. search for a string in the file names 3. Delete the file which matches the string. Ex: if the folder is C:\TEST and the folder has 5 files like 2009ABCG.txt 2009MNO.txt... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: adityamahi
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

To find files with specific dates and cp another folder.

Hi all, We have an existing script: find /u03/oraprod/perpcomn/admin/out -type f -ctime +7 \ -exec cp {} "/u08/oraprod/backup/cout" \; Which is to find all files more than 7 days and copy to another folder. However I would like to only list files with Sep 29, and cp to another folder. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: *Jess*
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find all text files in folder and then copy to a new folder

Hi all, *I use Uwin and Cygwin emulator. I´m trying to search for all text files in the current folder (C/Files) and its sub folders using find -depth -name "*.txt" The above command worked for me, but now I would like to copy all found text files to a new folder (C/Files/Text) with ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cgkmal
4 Replies

6. Cybersecurity

Ubuntu folder level security

I have installed ubuntu. And I have create users ans groups. Suppose if the user enter into through Putty SSH. He should have access only to home folder and cannot move to other than $HOME. User should not able to root files and /$ files. Kindly provide solution. Regards Vasanth kumar (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vasanthrj
3 Replies

7. Red Hat

Find a word from multiple level files on Linux

To find a word from multiple level files: "find . -type f -exec grep {} +" is working on UNIX machines but not working on Linux machine. What is the equivalent command on Linux to find the word from multiple level files? Input is appreciated. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ywu081006
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Folder level size monitoring

Hi All, I have a requirement to monitor the sub-directories under /home in a way that if the the folder size increases by 30 GB in a span of like an hour then it needs to send email alerts listing what as the actual size was and what's the current size which the subject listing the sub-directory... (25 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shailesh6
25 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and Move Files up One Level

Hi All, So I have another question. I'm trying to search for files with a certain extension and then move all of them up one level in the folder hierarchy. So something like this: original: /path/to/file/test.txt after: /path/to/test.txt I had some great help recently with another... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ideal2545
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find common lines between all of the files in one folder

Could it be possible to find common lines between all of the files in one folder? Just like comm -12 . So all of the files two at a time. I would like all of the outcomes to be written to a different files, and the file names could be simply numbers - 1 , 2 , 3 etc. All of the file names contain... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: Eve
19 Replies
Path::Class(3)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					    Path::Class(3)

NAME
Path::Class - Cross-platform path specification manipulation VERSION
version 0.26 SYNOPSIS
use Path::Class; my $dir = dir('foo', 'bar'); # Path::Class::Dir object my $file = file('bob', 'file.txt'); # Path::Class::File object # Stringifies to 'foo/bar' on Unix, 'fooar' on Windows, etc. print "dir: $dir "; # Stringifies to 'bob/file.txt' on Unix, 'bobfile.txt' on Windows print "file: $file "; my $subdir = $dir->subdir('baz'); # foo/bar/baz my $parent = $subdir->parent; # foo/bar my $parent2 = $parent->parent; # foo my $dir2 = $file->dir; # bob # Work with foreign paths use Path::Class qw(foreign_file foreign_dir); my $file = foreign_file('Mac', ':foo:file.txt'); print $file->dir; # :foo: print $file->as_foreign('Win32'); # foofile.txt # Interact with the underlying filesystem: # $dir_handle is an IO::Dir object my $dir_handle = $dir->open or die "Can't read $dir: $!"; # $file_handle is an IO::File object my $file_handle = $file->open($mode) or die "Can't read $file: $!"; DESCRIPTION
"Path::Class" is a module for manipulation of file and directory specifications (strings describing their locations, like '/home/ken/foo.txt' or 'C:WindowsFoo.txt') in a cross-platform manner. It supports pretty much every platform Perl runs on, including Unix, Windows, Mac, VMS, Epoc, Cygwin, OS/2, and NetWare. The well-known module "File::Spec" also provides this service, but it's sort of awkward to use well, so people sometimes avoid it, or use it in a way that won't actually work properly on platforms significantly different than the ones they've tested their code on. In fact, "Path::Class" uses "File::Spec" internally, wrapping all the unsightly details so you can concentrate on your application code. Whereas "File::Spec" provides functions for some common path manipulations, "Path::Class" provides an object-oriented model of the world of path specifications and their underlying semantics. "File::Spec" doesn't create any objects, and its classes represent the different ways in which paths must be manipulated on various platforms (not a very intuitive concept). "Path::Class" creates objects representing files and directories, and provides methods that relate them to each other. For instance, the following "File::Spec" code: my $absolute = File::Spec->file_name_is_absolute( File::Spec->catfile( @dirs, $file ) ); can be written using "Path::Class" as my $absolute = Path::Class::File->new( @dirs, $file )->is_absolute; or even as my $absolute = file( @dirs, $file )->is_absolute; Similar readability improvements should happen all over the place when using "Path::Class". Using "Path::Class" can help solve real problems in your code too - for instance, how many people actually take the "volume" (like "C:" on Windows) into account when writing "File::Spec"-using code? I thought not. But if you use "Path::Class", your file and directory objects will know what volumes they refer to and do the right thing. The guts of the "Path::Class" code live in the "Path::Class::File" and "Path::Class::Dir" modules, so please see those modules' documentation for more details about how to use them. EXPORT The following functions are exported by default. file A synonym for "Path::Class::File->new". dir A synonym for "Path::Class::Dir->new". If you would like to prevent their export, you may explicitly pass an empty list to perl's "use", i.e. "use Path::Class ()". The following are exported only on demand. foreign_file A synonym for "Path::Class::File->new_foreign". foreign_dir A synonym for "Path::Class::Dir->new_foreign". Notes on Cross-Platform Compatibility Although it is much easier to write cross-platform-friendly code with this module than with "File::Spec", there are still some issues to be aware of. o On some platforms, notably VMS and some older versions of DOS (I think), all filenames must have an extension. Thus if you create a file called foo/bar and then ask for a list of files in the directory foo, you may find a file called bar. instead of the bar you were expecting. Thus it might be a good idea to use an extension in the first place. AUTHOR
Ken Williams, KWILLIAMS@cpan.org COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) Ken Williams. All rights reserved. This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. SEE ALSO
Path::Class::Dir, Path::Class::File, File::Spec perl v5.16.2 2013-08-25 Path::Class(3)