Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Get a specific line number from a text file Post 302440645 by barryxian on Tuesday 27th of July 2010 11:23:10 PM
Old 07-28-2010
Bug Get a specific line number from a text file

Hello! All,
Could you please tell me how to get a specific line number from a text file?

For example below,

ABC
DEF ---> Get this line number, return to an variable
GHI

My OS is Linux.

Thank you so much for your help in advance!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

jumping to a specific line in a text file

hi everybody! i need to read a specific line from a text file using C. can any one suggest how to do it. i m aware abt fread(), fwrite(), fseek()... but using these allows the pointer to be moved 1 character at a time. Is there a way i could jump directly to a line if i know the line number?... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mridula
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding a columnfrom a specifit line number to a specific line number

Hi, I have a huge file & I want to add a specific text in column. But I want to add this text from a specific line number to a specific line number & another text in to another range of line numbers. To be more specific: lets say my file has 1000 lines & 4 Columns. I want to add text "Hello"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ezy
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding specific text and spaces to each line in a text file

Hi, I wanted to add specific text to each row in a text file containing three rows. Example: 0 8 7 6 5 5 7 8 9 0 7 9 7 8 9 0 1 2 And I want to add a 21 at the beginning of the first row, and blank spaces at the beginning of the second two rows. To get this: 21 0 8 7 6 5 5 7 8... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hertingm
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract the lines between specific line number from a text file

Hi I want to extract certain text between two line numbers like 23234234324 and 54446655567567 How do I do this with a simple sed or awk command? Thank you. ---------- Post updated at 06:16 PM ---------- Previous update was at 05:55 PM ---------- found it: sed -n '#1,#2p'... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: return_user
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Inputting text to a specific line of a file

Hi all, I have a script which uses a basic line to add text into another file e.g. grep -i test * >> test.txt Is there a way I can get the output of the grep to output to a specific line in the text.txt for example output above the line starting "Bottom line..." (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: JayC89
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Comparing a number in a text file with a specific value

My project is to get a temperature reading from a refridgerator every 2 minutes and check to see if the door has been left open. I don't yet have the mastery of Linux, being a complete noob, but I reckon I need a text file with the latest temperature reading in it. This I've managed to do by... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Fitch
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Deleting cells that contain a specific number only from a space delimited text file

I have this space delimited large text file with more than 1,000,000+ columns and about 100 rows. I want to delete all the cells that consist of just 2 (leave 2's that are not by themselves intact): File before modification aa bb cc 2 NA100 dd aa b1 c2 2 NA102 de File after modification... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

write specific line number in file

dear all, i need your advice i have sample script like this: testing.sh for i in {1..10} do echo testing $i done but i forgot create "#!/bin/bash" in above "for" so i want output will like this testing.sh #!/bin/bash for i in {1..10} do echo testing $i done (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zvtral
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract specific line in an html file starting and ending with specific pattern to a text file

Hi This is my first post and I'm just a beginner. So please be nice to me. I have a couple of html files where a pattern beginning with "http://www.site.com" and ending with "/resource.dat" is present on every 241st line. How do I extract this to a new text file? I have tried sed -n 241,241p... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: dejavo
13 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep pattern after specific line number in a file

Hi guys, I am running a while loop in a script ro read a file line by line. Now I want to run a grep only on the lines below the line I am that is being read by the while loop. Eg: If my while loop is on line 4 of the file, the grep only runs below line 4 and does not include line 1,2... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Junaid Subhani
3 Replies
RRDGRAPH_DATA(1)						      rrdtool							  RRDGRAPH_DATA(1)

NAME
rrdgraph_data - preparing data for graphing in rrdtool graph SYNOPSIS
DEF:<vname>=<rrdfile>:<ds-name>:<CF>[:step=<step>][:start=<time>][:end=<time>][:reduce=<CF>] VDEF:vname=RPN expression CDEF:vname=RPN expression DESCRIPTION
These three instructions extract data values out of the RRD files, optionally altering them (think, for example, of a bytes to bits conversion). If so desired, you can also define variables containing useful information such as maximum, minimum etcetera. Two of the instructions use a language called RPN which is described in its own manual page. Variable names (vname) must be made up strings of the following characters "A-Z, a-z, 0-9, -,_" and a maximum length of 255 characters. When picking variable names, make sure you do not choose a name that is already taken by an RPN operator. A safe bet it to use lowercase or mixed case names for variables since operators will always be in uppercase. DEF
DEF:<vname>=<rrdfile>:<ds-name>:<CF>[:step=<step>][:start=<time>][:end=<time>][:reduce=<CF>] This command fetches data from an RRD file. The virtual name vname can then be used throughout the rest of the script. By default, an RRA which contains the correct consolidated data at an appropriate resolution will be chosen. The resolution can be overridden with the --step option. The resolution can again be overridden by specifying the step size. The time span of this data is the same as for the graph by default, you can override this by specifying start and end. Remember to escape colons in the time specification! If the resolution of the data is higher than the resolution of the graph, the data will be further consolidated. This may result in a graph that spans slightly more time than requested. Ideally each point in the graph should correspond with one CDP from an RRA. For instance, if your RRD has an RRA with a resolution of 1800 seconds per CDP, you should create an image with width 400 and time span 400*1800 seconds (use appropriate start and end times, such as "--start end-8days8hours"). If consolidation needs to be done, the CF of the RRA specified in the DEF itself will be used to reduce the data density. This behavior can be changed using ":reduce=<CF>". This optional parameter specifies the CF to use during the data reduction phase. Example: DEF:ds0=router.rrd:ds0:AVERAGE DEF:ds0weekly=router.rrd:ds0:AVERAGE:step=7200 DEF:ds0weekly=router.rrd:ds0:AVERAGE:start=end-1h DEF:ds0weekly=router.rrd:ds0:AVERAGE:start=11:00:end=start+1h VDEF
VDEF:vname=RPN expression This command returns a value and/or a time according to the RPN statements used. The resulting vname will, depending on the functions used, have a value and a time component. When you use this vname in another RPN expression, you are effectively inserting its value just as if you had put a number at that place. The variable can also be used in the various graph and print elements. Example: "VDEF:avg=mydata,AVERAGE" Note that currently only aggregation functions work in VDEF rpn expressions. Patches to change this are welcome. CDEF
CDEF:vname=RPN expression This command creates a new set of data points (in memory only, not in the RRD file) out of one or more other data series. The RPN instructions are used to evaluate a mathematical function on each data point. The resulting vname can then be used further on in the script, just as if it were generated by a DEF instruction. Example: "CDEF:mydatabits=mydata,8,*" About CDEF versus VDEF At some point in processing, RRDtool has gathered an array of rates ready to display. CDEF works on such an array. For example, CDEF:new=ds0,8,* would multiply each of the array members by eight (probably transforming bytes into bits). The result is an array containing the new values. VDEF also works on such an array but in a different way. For example, VDEF:max=ds0,MAXIMUM would scan each of the array members and store the maximum value. When do you use VDEF versus CDEF? Use CDEF to transform your data prior to graphing. In the above example, we'd use a CDEF to transform bytes to bits before graphing the bits. You use a VDEF if you want max(1,5,3,2,4) to return five which would be displayed in the graph's legend (to answer, what was the maximum value during the graph period). If you want to apply 'complex' operations to the result of a VDEF you have to use a CDEF again since VDEFs only look like RPN expressions, they aren't really. SEE ALSO
rrdgraph gives an overview of how rrdtool graph works. rrdgraph_data describes DEF,CDEF and VDEF in detail. rrdgraph_rpn describes the RPN language used in the ?DEF statements. rrdgraph_graph page describes all of the graph and print functions. Make sure to read rrdgraph_examples for tips&tricks. AUTHOR
Program by Tobias Oetiker <tobi@oetiker.ch> This manual page by Alex van den Bogaerdt <alex@vandenbogaerdt.nl> with corrections and/or additions by several people 1.4.8 2013-05-23 RRDGRAPH_DATA(1)