Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Shell Script Referencing I/O
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Shell Script Referencing I/O Post 302440575 by Prodiga1 on Tuesday 27th of July 2010 02:55:26 PM
Old 07-27-2010
Shell Script Referencing I/O

Is it possible to design a shell script to reference something that queries for input?

(This is not to make a script to ssh)

For instance if I have a command that when run, it does something like:
Code:
 %<Some command>
User's password?

Would it be possible to write a script to input something in that field?

Could I use $? in some capacity to do this?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Referencing a range of parameters?

I can't seem to find anywhere how to syntactically reference a range of parameters in the script I am trying to write. My script requires at least 2 parameters to run, with parameter 1 being the main file, which I want appended to x amount of target files, which will be parameters 2 through... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Relykk
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Referencing variables in commands

The script I am writing must be able to run several commands (tar, gzip etc) on filenames that are supplied by variables. I am unsure as to what syntax is required/ideal when referencing variables in filenames. The following is a sample command that I would like the script to execute: tar cvf... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mharley
3 Replies

3. Programming

symbol referencing error

Undefined first referenced symbol in file std::basic_ostream<char, std::char_traits<char> >::operator<<(int)/var/tmp//ccTR std::cerr /var/tmp//ccTRcjui.o std::cout /var/tmp//ccTRcjui.o... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: suhasini
1 Replies

4. Programming

Symbol referencing error

Hey everyone, I can't figure out this symbol referencing error after looking at it for the longest time, and I figured some fresh eyes might be able to point something out I am overlooking. Undefined first referenced symbol in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fromatz
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Back Referencing in SED

Hi, I have tried all examples of back referencing from the web but all in vain. It would be heavily helpful if someone explains me the use of back referencing and sub expression using an example of substitution. Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sinpeak
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable Referencing

I am referencing variables in the following way var1="greeting" greeting="Welcome!" How do I echo var1 in such a way that it outputs Welcome! ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: milo7
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Self referencing script error message

Hello again all. I have a user editable script that I'd like to have point out the user error to. Problem is I'm having troubles getting an echoed error message to give me the line. Here's what I'm trying to do. grep -n $loc /this/script.sh where '$loc' is the argument passed to the script.... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: DC Slick
9 Replies

8. Programming

Symbol referencing errors

Undefined first referenced symbol in file logf /var/tmp//ccwztFsO.o ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to a.out collect2: ld returned 1 exit status float exponC(float mean) { index1++;... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: willji1234
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Referencing file for values and referencing another file to replace values

Hi I have a file which has values in each line: MP304,d40000 MP310,ff0000 etc I have another file which as the first value in it and is unique in the file(not repeated). I need to replace a string with the second value above. The second file contents is as follows:(snippet) <g ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: majikins
12 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dynamically referencing a Path

How would I reference a source path (where I have a script pulling data from) that changes location? For example, a Mail folder is being used as a source to pull some data, but somebody could move the folder around in the GUI of Mail, changing it's location in the filesystem (that I am referencing... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudo
11 Replies
SCRIPT(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 SCRIPT(1)

NAME
script -- make typescript of terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [-a] [-k] [-q] [-t time] [file [command ...]] DESCRIPTION
The script utility makes a typescript of everything printed on your terminal. It is useful for students who need a hardcopy record of an interactive session as proof of an assignment, as the typescript file can be printed out later with lpr(1). If the argument file is given, script saves all dialogue in file. If no file name is given, the typescript is saved in the file typescript. If the argument command ... is given, script will run the specified command with an optional argument vector instead of an interactive shell. Options: -a Append the output to file or typescript, retaining the prior contents. -k Log keys sent to program as well as output. -q Run in quiet mode, omit the start and stop status messages. -t time Specify time interval between flushing script output file. A value of 0 causes script to flush for every character I/O event. The default interval is 30 seconds. The script ends when the forked shell (or command) exits (a control-D to exit the Bourne shell (sh(1)), and exit, logout or control-d (if ignoreeof is not set) for the C-shell, csh(1)). Certain interactive commands, such as vi(1), create garbage in the typescript file. The script utility works best with commands that do not manipulate the screen. The results are meant to emulate a hardcopy terminal, not an addressable one. ENVIRONMENT
The following environment variable is utilized by script: SHELL If the variable SHELL exists, the shell forked by script will be that shell. If SHELL is not set, the Bourne shell is assumed. (Most shells set this variable automatically). SEE ALSO
csh(1) (for the history mechanism). HISTORY
The script command appeared in 3.0BSD. BUGS
The script utility places everything in the log file, including linefeeds and backspaces. This is not what the naive user expects. It is not possible to specify a command without also naming the script file because of argument parsing compatibility issues. When running in -k mode, echo cancelling is far from ideal. The slave terminal mode is checked for ECHO mode to check when to avoid manual echo logging. This does not work when in a raw mode where the program being run is doing manual echo. BSD
June 6, 1993 BSD