Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Changing a text file
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Changing a text file Post 302440556 by kristinu on Tuesday 27th of July 2010 02:06:09 PM
Old 07-27-2010
It works thanks.

How can I include this in an awk script?

I understand the "printf" and "substr($2,4)" but can't figure out

"f-->0" and "f=3" thing

Last edited by kristinu; 07-27-2010 at 03:15 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Changing text with sed?

Hi everyone, Having trouble with sed. I searched the board and found some stuff, but still unclear. I have a file named "userfile" which stores the users info in this form: email:username:password: I want the user to be able to change their password. i tried with sed s/oldpass/newpass/g... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: primal
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Changing the column for a row in a text file and adding another row

Hi, I want to write a shell script which increments a particular column in a row from a text file and then adds another row below the current row with the incremented value . For Eg . if the input file has a row : abc xyz lmn 89 lm nk o p I would like the script to create something like... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: aYankeeFan
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

changing last 2 digits of text

I have a text file with a bunch of ethernet port names and host names. I need to just change the last 2 chars on each line to a new number how can I do this quickly? from ethernet5/35 Net01 ethernet5/36 Net01 ethernet5/37 Net01 ethernet5/38 Net01 to ethernet5/35 Net02 ethernet5/36... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kingdbag
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

changing text

i all, I thought I would restructure my question. Is there a way you can get rid of characters in a line if you know what number they are. eg, if this was a line you could see there were 18 characters including spaces. Could I delete characters 4,5,6 and 7 to remove the word this. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: outthere_3
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Changing the text file format

Hi, I have a shell script to unload all the empname who have salary >50000 from the emp table into a text file(empname.txt) . m_db unload "$dbc_file" -column_delimiter ',' -select "SELECT empname FROM emp where salary > 50000" >> empname.txt Now my text file have data in the following format ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kavithakuttyk
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

CHANGING THE TEXT INSIDE A FILE

Hi All, I need a small help in formating a file. I have a file with word like this; ATGHYJIKOLFHJDHDGDYFGFYGRYGFYRHFYHFUED DHDJFDFSJFLFJSKJFSLKJFGHDKLGLDKGLKDNVNV VNLDVLDVDHFJDKDJVNVHSUFNHJFMVJFMVKJMFV ... .... ....like this 75000 words. I want to convert this words into a single... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lucky Ali
5 Replies

7. Programming

changing text color in c

I'm writing my own Unix ls command in c and I was wondering if anyone knows how to or can point me to a tutorial that shows me how to change the text color of the filename depending on if it's a directory, regular file, linked file, etc..., like the real ls command does? Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: snag49ers
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Changing text in multiple files, but with different text for each file

Hello, I have a situation where I want to change a line of text in multiple files, but the problem is that I want to change the text to something unique for each file. For example, let's say I have five files named bob.txt, joe.txt, john.txt, tom.txt, and zach.txt. Each of these files has a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Scatterbrain26
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with changing text file layout

Hi there, I am with this one column input text file to change layout, please help. Thanks. I have awk, sed. $ cat input Median 1.0 2.3 3.0 Median 35.0 26.3 45.7 10.1 63.1 Median 1.2 2.3 (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: cwzkevin
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Changing only the first space to a tab in a space delimited text file

Hi, I have a space delimited text file but I only want to change the first space to a tab and keep the rest of the spaces intact. How do I go about doing that? Thanks! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
3 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)