Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Check if last char in a line is '.' and if not, insert it Post 302440242 by Ikon on Monday 26th of July 2010 02:55:43 PM
Old 07-26-2010
I'm using putty also.

I did not know about that, very handy.

Code:
head -2 your_file | od -An -t a

Last edited by Ikon; 07-26-2010 at 04:00 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check a column contain numeric or char data type ??

I have a file called clientname_filename.csv whose contents are like col1|col2|col3|col4| 510|abc|xxx|450| 510|abc11|yyy|350 510|pqr99|zzz| 670 512|222|439|110 Here i have check the contents of column for data type. i have a constraints that col1 always contain Numeric value column 2... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: jambesh
12 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

unable to insert '#' char for a file in vi mode

Hi all, I am very new to this forum and also new to UNIX. I am working on HP-UX machine. I noticed that for some of the users I am unable to insert the # character in a file in vi mode. May I know y am I having the problem and how can I resolve this Thanks, Maroli (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: maroli
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to insert a char in every two?

Hi, I've written a script to interrogate all fibre devices on our systems and output the WWNs to a file. I now want to insert a ":" every 2 characters into the WWN so I can write another script to create aliases within the SAN. So the current file has WWNs in the following format;... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: h8mmer
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how first char in odd line and second char in even line

Hi I m having ifconfig -a o/p like sbanlab1:ksh# ifconfig -a | egrep "flags|inet" | awk -F' ' '{print $1,$2}' lo0: flags=2001000849<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST,IPv4,VIRTUAL> inet 127.0.0.1 lo0:1: flags=2001000849<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST,IPv4,VIRTUAL> inet 127.0.0.1 bge0:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tarunn.dubeyy
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Check EOF char in Unix. OR To check file has been received completely from a remote system

Advance Thanks. (1) I would like to know any unix/Linux command to check EOF char in a file. (2) Or Any way I can check a file has been reached completely at machine B from machine A. Note that machine A ftp/scp the file to machine B at unknown time. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexalex1
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert carriage return on the 10th char position of each line

Hi experts, Need your help on how to insert carriage return after the 10th char position of each line in a file and then add two blank spaces after the carriage return. Example: >cat test.txt testingline dummystring samplesample teststringline Expected output should be.. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: brichigo
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Formatting File having big single line into 95 Char Per Line

Hi All, I have 4 big files which contains one big line containing formatted character records, I need to format each file in such way that each File will have 95 Characters per line. Last line of each file will have newline character at end. Before:- File Name:- File1.dat 102 121340560... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: lancesunny
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to separate one line to mutiple line based on one char?

Hi Gurus, I need separate one file which is one huge line to mutiple line. file like abcd # bcd # def # fge # ged I want to get abcd bcd def fge ged Thanks in advance (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ken6503
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read a text file line by line and insert into a database table?

I have a test file that I want to read and insert only certain lines into the the table based on a filter. 1. Rread the log file 12 Hours back Getdate() -12 Hours 2. Extract the following information on for lines that say "DUMP is complete" A. Date B. Database Name C.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JolietJake
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search a certain char and insert new text if a match found

Have a file which has the create statement like below create table emp ( empno integer, empname char(50)) primary index(empno); i need to find a string starting with create and ends with semi-colon ;. if so insert the below statement before create statement rename table emp to emp_rename;... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mohan0509
2 Replies
which(1)						      General Commands Manual							  which(1)

NAME
which - locate a program file including aliases and paths SYNOPSIS
[name...] DESCRIPTION
For each name given, searches for the file that would be executed if name were given as a command, and displays the absolute path of that file. Each argument is expanded if it is aliased, and searched for along the user's path. Both aliases and path are determined by sourc- ing (executing) the user's file. DIAGNOSTICS
A diagnostic is given for names that are aliased to more than a single word, or if an executable file with the argument name was not found in the path. EXAMPLES
The command: specifies where the executable program of the sh(1) command is found. For example, the response might be: if the sh(1) being used is located in WARNINGS
reports aliases even when not invoked from csh. cannot find built-in commands (e.g., jobs). information may be incorrect because it is unaware of any path or alias changes that have occurred in the current shell session. AUTHOR
was developed by the University of California, Berkeley. FILES
source of aliases and path values which(1)