Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Extract lines between 2 strings add white space Post 302440199 by dcfargo on Monday 26th of July 2010 12:11:54 PM
Old 07-26-2010
Actually string1 also contains a '/' character so I need to figure out how to manage that as well.

I have a file like

Who what when
This is string/one today
string/one_is_here
string/one_is_there
Finished with the list
where how why

I'd like to get to

This is string/one today
string/one_is_here
string/one_is_there
Finished with the list

using "[whitspace] string/one [whitespace]"

and "Finished"

to call the lines along with everything in between

I need to know the syntax to call whitespaces and to call "string/one".

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find lines with space between strings

Hello all, I am having trouble with setting up a regular expression used with egrep. My script reads an input file a line at a time. I would like the egrep command to search for the following pattern: server name at the beginning of the line, then one or more spaces, and then a pound sign. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Galt
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove white space at the beginning of lines

Hi! I store some data obtained with grep or awk in a file. The problem is that some lines have white space at the begining : line1 line2 line3 I use something like grep WORD INFILE >> OUTFILE awk >> OUTFILE I would love if it were possible to remove the white whitout parsing the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tipi
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

is it hard to extract particular lines & strings from the files??

Hi Experts, I have lots of big size files. Below is the snapshot of a file. From the files i want extract informmation like belows. What could be command or script for that? DELETE RESP:940120105 CREATE RESP:0 GET RESP:0 File contains like below- ... ... <log... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: thepurple
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add white space to the end of a line with sed

Im trying to add 5 blank spaces to the end of each line in a file in a sed script. I can figure out who o put the spaces pretty much anywhere else but at the end. thanks Karl (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: karlanderson
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing empty lines(space) between two lines containing strings

Hi, Please provide shell script to Remove empty lines(space) between two lines containing strings in a file. Input File : A1/EXT "BAP_BSC6/07B/00" 844 090602 1605 RXOCF-465 PDTR11 1 SITE ON BATTERY A2/EXT... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudhakaryadav
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK: How to extract text lines between two strings

Hi. I have a text test1.txt file like:Receipt Line1 Line2 Line3 End Receipt Line4 Line5 Line6 Canceled Receipt Line7 Line8 Line9 End (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: TQ3
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract strings from multiple lines into one file -

input file Desired csv output gc_type, date/time, milli secs af, Mar 17 13:09:04 2011, 144.596 af, Mar 20 00:37:37 2011, 144.242 af, ar 20 21:30:59 2011, 108.518 Hi All, Any help in acheiving the above would be appreciated. I would like to parse through lines within one file and... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: satish.vampire
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract strings from multiple lines into one csv file

Hi all, Please go through my requirement. I have a log file in the location /opt/WebSphere61/AppServer/profiles/EMQbatchprofile/logs/EMQbatch This file contains the follwing pattern data <af type="tenured" id="42" timestamp="May 14 13:44:13 2011" intervalms="955.624"> <minimum... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: satish.vampire
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add strings to test lines

Hi all, i have a file that looks like this; 8120 ahdmesb:8001 8330 ahdmesb:8001 8888 vfnla88s-z2:8888 9060 ahdesb:80 9063 ahdesb:80 9070 nleaip-vip:9070 9090 nleaip-vip:9070 9123 nleaip-vip:9080 i want it to be displayed as: ahdmesb:8001 is listening on port 8120 ahdmesb:8001 is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Eman_in_forum
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add white space

hi guys how can i add spacein file name with sed if strings have no space around dash input 19-20 ( 18-19 ) ABC-EFG output after add white space 19 - 20 (18 - 19 ) ABC - EFG thx in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mhs
2 Replies
Tcl_Concat(3)						      Tcl Library Procedures						     Tcl_Concat(3)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
Tcl_Concat - concatenate a collection of strings SYNOPSIS
#include <tcl.h> const char * Tcl_Concat(argc, argv) ARGUMENTS
int argc (in) Number of strings. const char *const argv[] (in) Array of strings to concatenate. Must have argc entries. _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
Tcl_Concat is a utility procedure used by several of the Tcl commands. Given a collection of strings, it concatenates them together into a single string, with the original strings separated by spaces. This procedure behaves differently than Tcl_Merge, in that the arguments are simply concatenated: no effort is made to ensure proper list structure. However, in most common usage the arguments will all be proper lists themselves; if this is true, then the result will also have proper list structure. Tcl_Concat eliminates leading and trailing white space as it copies strings from argv to the result. If an element of argv consists of nothing but white space, then that string is ignored entirely. This white-space removal was added to make the output of the concat command cleaner-looking. The result string is dynamically allocated using Tcl_Alloc; the caller must eventually release the space by calling Tcl_Free. SEE ALSO
Tcl_ConcatObj KEYWORDS
concatenate, strings Tcl 7.5 Tcl_Concat(3)