Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Shell script: substitute value in text file Post 302440127 by mirfan on Monday 26th of July 2010 11:57:35 AM
Old 07-26-2010
Hello,

Franklin, i tried your command

awk -F, '/INSERT INTO test2/ {$((NF+5)/2)="\\n" $((NF+5)/2)}1' OFS="," inputfile

It outputs perfectly as "\ncolumn3value" but i forgot to mention that column3value is in single quote it results "\ncolumn3value" while i want it to be as '\ncolumn3value' within single quotes.

Origninal i have to try it with UPDATE query and output should be as follows \n character need to be in single quotes:

[code]
UPDATE test2 set c = Concat(chat, 'testing '),s_count = '0', b_count = '0',t_lines = LENGTH(c) - LENGTH(REPLACE(c, '\n ', '')), c_end = now() where id = '504';
[\code]

Franklin, can you please also explain query.

Thank you for your help.

---------- Post updated at 07:54 AM ---------- Previous update was at 05:09 AM ----------

this is the input.

Code:
UPDATE test2 set c = Concat(chat, 'testing '),s_count = '0', b_count = '0',t_lines = LENGTH(c) - LENGTH(REPLACE(c, '\n ', '')), c_end = now() where id = '504';

and output should be

Code:

---------- Post updated at 07:57 AM ---------- Previous update was at 07:54 AM ----------

Ah.. sorry for the mistake in iput file.
this is the input.

Code:
UPDATE test2 set c = Concat(chat, 'testing '),s_count = '0', b_count = '0',t_lines = LENGTH(c) - LENGTH(REPLACE(c, ' ', '')), c_end = now() where id = '504';

and output should be

Code:

while no other command works for me mentioned by rdcwayx and KenJackson.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to substitute more than one word in a text file?

well i have this file here: <XML> <pregate xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"> <system_c>HPREGATE</system_c> <trans_c>HSPG</trans_c> <trans_dt>20060105161333</trans_dt> <user_id_m></user_id_m> <func_c>C</func_c> </pregate> </XML> i want to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: forevercalz
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shell script to search for text in a file and copy file

Compete noob question.... I need a script to search through a directory and find files containing text string abcde1234 for example and then copy that file with that text string to another directory help please :eek: (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: imeadows
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execute unix shell script to text file using the script

Hi all, I am beginner in UNIX...I want to use unix shell script to create text.file...I know how to use using by command...can anybody tell me for the script? Thanks i changed the threads title from "tex file" to "text file", because "tex" would probably be misunderstood as reference to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mastercar
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell or perl script needed for ldif file to text file conversion

This is the ldf file dn: sdcsmsisdn=1000000049,sdcsDatabase=subscriberCache,dc=example,dc=com objectClass: sdcsSubscriber objectClass: top postalCode: 29600 sdcsServiceLevel: 10 sdcsCustomerType: 14 givenName: Adelia sdcsBlackListAll: FALSE sdcsOwnerType: T-Mobile sn: Actionteam... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: LinuxFriend
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

using awk to substitute data in a column delimited text file

using awk to substitute data in a column delimited text file hello i would like to use awk to do the following calculation from the following snippet. input file C;2390 ;CV BOUILLOTTE 2L 2FACES NERVUREES ;1.00 ;3552612239004;13417 ;25 ;50 ; 12;50000 ; ; ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: iindie
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Insert text into a file using shell script

Hi, I need to insert "Hello World" text into a file called hai.txt using shell scripting. Kindly help me. For eg: If I open the file hai.txt by giving linux command cat hai.txt, the content of the file should have the text Hello World in it. Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthick nath
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shell script to read lines in a text file and filter user data Shell Programming and Scripting

sxsaaas (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: VikrantD
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Reading XML file and print the values in the text file using Linux shell script

hi guys, i want help... Reding XML file and print the values into the text file using linux shell script file as per below xml file <sequence> <Filename>aldorzum.doc</Filename> <DivisionCode>US</DivisionCode> <ContentType>Template</ContentType> <ProductCode>VIMZIM</ProductCode> </sequence>... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sravanreddy
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help to write a shell script to convert text file to excel file.

Hi Everyone, I want your help to write a script which will take text file as input and on the basis of delimiter ":"script will create excel sheet. Example input: IpAdress:InstanceName:Port:ServerName 10.255.255.1:abc:2232:xyz_abc Output should be an excel sheet like below: Column... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: akabhinav18
8 Replies
IO::InnerFile(3)					User Contributed Perl Documentation					  IO::InnerFile(3)

NAME
IO::InnerFile - define a file inside another file SYNOPSIS
### Read a subset of a file: $inner = IO::InnerFile->new($fh, $start, $length); while (<$inner>) { ... } DESCRIPTION
If you have a filehandle that can seek() and tell(), then you can open an IO::InnerFile on a range of the underlying file. PUBLIC INTERFACE
new FILEHANDLE, [START, [LENGTH]] Class method, constructor. Create a new inner-file opened on the given FILEHANDLE, from bytes START to START+LENGTH. Both START and LENGTH default to 0; negative values are silently coerced to zero. Note that FILEHANDLE must be able to seek() and tell(), in addition to whatever other methods you may desire for reading it. set_length LENGTH get_length add_length NBYTES Instance methods. Get/set the virtual length of the inner file. set_start START get_start add_start NBYTES Instance methods. Get/set the virtual start position of the inner file. binmode close flush getc getline print LIST printf LIST read BUF, NBYTES readline seek OFFFSET, WHENCE tell write ARGS... Instance methods. Standard filehandle methods. VERSION
$Id: InnerFile.pm,v 1.4 2005/02/10 21:21:53 dfs Exp $ AUTHOR
Original version by Doru Petrescu (pdoru@kappa.ro). Documentation and by Eryq (eryq@zeegee.com). Currently maintained by David F. Skoll (dfs@roaringpenguin.com). perl v5.18.2 2005-02-10 IO::InnerFile(3)