Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Automated FTP
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Automated FTP Post 302439870 by mohit_02mar on Saturday 24th of July 2010 10:46:31 AM
Old 07-24-2010
Java

Hey Franklin..thanx for your quick response. But that thread doesnt serve my purpose..
Actually, I want to know how if i am using ftp for transferring files b/w two different directories for e.g: I want to transferred file1 from /abc to /def & file2 from /efg to /xyz & so on..how to go about this & incorporate the same in the code...
Please help me out on this..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

FTP automated?

If I wanted a machine to put a specific file onto another OS far across the internet via FTP - and I wanted to do it automatically not user intervented, how would I do that? Use the PUT command? The file name and position never changes, it gets overwritten and the system on the other end... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: n9ninchd
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Automated FTP

My requiremnet is to write a FTP script which will ftp a file to a specified ftp url. How can I automate the process usnig the unix cron. (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: shauche
11 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

one time automated ftp session

How can an automated script be setup to run at a later time in the day. cron runs recurring tasks. I am interested in a one time process. I want to back up a number of files whenever I make changes to an application and ftp for backup purposes. The script to automate the zipping of files has... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: msmkeml
1 Replies

4. IP Networking

Automated ftp for Multiple files

I have seen the script posted yesterday for automated ftp Can we do some thing like ftp ing multiple files in one script Example input.txt has all files names to be ftped input.txt ------ a.tar b.ccp c.perl i need to ftp all the files present in input.txt i tried something like... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pbsrinivas
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

automated ftp.

Hi I am trying to delete some specific files ( files other than created today) from the server on a cron basis. I wrote a small script, but I am stuck up in how to delete only specific files. #!/usr/bin/expect -f set IP set timeout -1 spawn ftp $IP expect ): send "username\n"... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sangfroid
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to devlop automated FTP in UNIX

Automated FTP. hint : use 'atd' to schedule to run a specific script. An Env Variable should be created,say CONF_DIR which points to some dir. @ some time, create a TAR file of this and FTP it to some server. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vishalzone2002
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Automated FTP

I want to do Automated FTP from linux client to LINUX server using a shell script after every one hour. And copies last most updated file from Linux server. OR You can say that whenever files get modified on LINUX server so it also copies on my LINUX client. Linux SERVER path=... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: wakhan
4 Replies

8. IP Networking

Automated FTP task

Every day i ftp tar.gz a file from the production server to a back up machine.. This task creates way to much traffic on the network at the end of the day and puts and undo load on the production machine during operation hours. i would like to create a script that would automatically fire off the... (36 Replies)
Discussion started by: LowOrderBit
36 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Automated FTP script using .netrc to multiple FTP servers

Hi all, I'm using the following script to automated ftp files to 1 ftp servers host=192.168.0.1 /usr/bin/ftp -vi >> $bkplog 2>&1 <<ftp open $host bin cd ${directory} put $files quit ftp and the .netrc file contain machine 192.168.0.1 login abc... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: varu0612
4 Replies
subst(n)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							  subst(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
subst - Perform backslash, command, and variable substitutions SYNOPSIS
subst ?-nobackslashes? ?-nocommands? ?-novariables? string _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This command performs variable substitutions, command substitutions, and backslash substitutions on its string argument and returns the fully-substituted result. The substitutions are performed in exactly the same way as for Tcl commands. As a result, the string argument is actually substituted twice, once by the Tcl parser in the usual fashion for Tcl commands, and again by the subst command. If any of the -nobackslashes, -nocommands, or -novariables are specified, then the corresponding substitutions are not performed. For example, if -nocommands is specified, command substitution is not performed: open and close brackets are treated as ordinary characters with no special interpretation. Note that the substitution of one kind can include substitution of other kinds. For example, even when the -novariables option is speci- fied, command substitution is performed without restriction. This means that any variable substitution necessary to complete the command substitution will still take place. Likewise, any command substitution necessary to complete a variable substitution will take place, even when -nocommands is specified. See the EXAMPLES below. If an error occurs during substitution, then subst will return that error. If a break exception occurs during command or variable substi- tution, the result of the whole substitution will be the string (as substituted) up to the start of the substitution that raised the excep- tion. If a continue exception occurs during the evaluation of a command or variable substitution, an empty string will be substituted for that entire command or variable substitution (as long as it is well-formed Tcl.) If a return exception occurs, or any other return code is returned during command or variable substitution, then the returned value is substituted for that substitution. See the EXAMPLES below. In this way, all exceptional return codes are "caught" by subst. The subst command itself will either return an error, or will complete successfully. EXAMPLES
When it performs its substitutions, subst does not give any special treatment to double quotes or curly braces (except within command sub- stitutions) so the script set a 44 subst {xyz {$a}} returns "xyz {44}", not "xyz {$a}" and the script set a "p} q {r" subst {xyz {$a}} returns "xyz {p} q {r}", not "xyz {p} q {r}". When command substitution is performed, it includes any variable substitution necessary to evaluate the script. set a 44 subst -novariables {$a [format $a]} returns "$a 44", not "$a $a". Similarly, when variable substitution is performed, it includes any command substitution necessary to retrieve the value of the variable. proc b {} {return c} array set a {c c [b] tricky} subst -nocommands {[b] $a([b])} returns "[b] c", not "[b] tricky". The continue and break exceptions allow command substitutions to prevent substitution of the rest of the command substitution and the rest of string respectively, giving script authors more options when processing text using subst. For example, the script subst {abc,[break],def} returns "abc,", not "abc,,def" and the script subst {abc,[continue;expr {1+2}],def} returns "abc,,def", not "abc,3,def". Other exceptional return codes substitute the returned value subst {abc,[return foo;expr {1+2}],def} returns "abc,foo,def", not "abc,3,def" and subst {abc,[return -code 10 foo;expr {1+2}],def} also returns "abc,foo,def", not "abc,3,def". SEE ALSO
Tcl(n), eval(n), break(n), continue(n) KEYWORDS
backslash substitution, command substitution, variable substitution Tcl 7.4 subst(n)