Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Shell script: substitute value in text file Post 302439861 by mirfan on Saturday 24th of July 2010 09:39:37 AM
Old 07-24-2010
Shell script: substitute value in text file

Hi gurus,

I need help with shell script. I have various INSERT queries which inserts data into database. I want to insert 3rd column data into newline for one particular table. I have very time long txt file everytime and it have various INSERT/UPDATE queries but i have to done with it only one table. Here is input

Code:
INSERT INTO test1 column1,column2 VALUES (column1value,column2value);
INSERT INTO test2 column1,column2,column3 VALUES (column1value,column2value,column3value);
INSERT INTO test3 column1 VALUES (column1value);

I need following as output so when database recieves \n character it will inserts data in new line i believe. I need this with only test2 table. I am not sure how to match pattern because everytime test2 table column2value is unique. I thaught it can be done by sed or awk.

Code:
INSERT INTO test1 column1,column2 VALUES (column1value,column2value);
INSERT INTO test2 column1,column2,column3 VALUES (column1value,column2value,\ncolumn3value);
INSERT INTO test3 column1 VALUES (column1value);

Any help appreciated.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to substitute more than one word in a text file?

well i have this file here: <XML> <pregate xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"> <system_c>HPREGATE</system_c> <trans_c>HSPG</trans_c> <trans_dt>20060105161333</trans_dt> <user_id_m></user_id_m> <func_c>C</func_c> </pregate> </XML> i want to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: forevercalz
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shell script to search for text in a file and copy file

Compete noob question.... I need a script to search through a directory and find files containing text string abcde1234 for example and then copy that file with that text string to another directory help please :eek: (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: imeadows
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execute unix shell script to text file using the script

Hi all, I am beginner in UNIX...I want to use unix shell script to create text.file...I know how to use using by command...can anybody tell me for the script? Thanks i changed the threads title from "tex file" to "text file", because "tex" would probably be misunderstood as reference to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mastercar
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell or perl script needed for ldif file to text file conversion

This is the ldf file dn: sdcsmsisdn=1000000049,sdcsDatabase=subscriberCache,dc=example,dc=com objectClass: sdcsSubscriber objectClass: top postalCode: 29600 sdcsServiceLevel: 10 sdcsCustomerType: 14 givenName: Adelia sdcsBlackListAll: FALSE sdcsOwnerType: T-Mobile sn: Actionteam... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: LinuxFriend
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

using awk to substitute data in a column delimited text file

using awk to substitute data in a column delimited text file hello i would like to use awk to do the following calculation from the following snippet. input file C;2390 ;CV BOUILLOTTE 2L 2FACES NERVUREES ;1.00 ;3552612239004;13417 ;25 ;50 ; 12;50000 ; ; ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: iindie
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Insert text into a file using shell script

Hi, I need to insert "Hello World" text into a file called hai.txt using shell scripting. Kindly help me. For eg: If I open the file hai.txt by giving linux command cat hai.txt, the content of the file should have the text Hello World in it. Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthick nath
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shell script to read lines in a text file and filter user data Shell Programming and Scripting

sxsaaas (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: VikrantD
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Reading XML file and print the values in the text file using Linux shell script

hi guys, i want help... Reding XML file and print the values into the text file using linux shell script file as per below xml file <sequence> <Filename>aldorzum.doc</Filename> <DivisionCode>US</DivisionCode> <ContentType>Template</ContentType> <ProductCode>VIMZIM</ProductCode> </sequence>... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sravanreddy
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help to write a shell script to convert text file to excel file.

Hi Everyone, I want your help to write a script which will take text file as input and on the basis of delimiter ":"script will create excel sheet. Example input: IpAdress:InstanceName:Port:ServerName 10.255.255.1:abc:2232:xyz_abc Output should be an excel sheet like below: Column... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: akabhinav18
8 Replies
INSERT(7)							   SQL Commands 							 INSERT(7)

NAME
INSERT - create new rows in a table SYNOPSIS
INSERT INTO table [ ( column [, ...] ) ] { DEFAULT VALUES | VALUES ( { expression | DEFAULT } [, ...] ) | SELECT query } INPUTS table The name (optionally schema-qualified) of an existing table. column The name of a column in table. DEFAULT VALUES All columns will be filled by null values or by values specified when the table was created using DEFAULT clauses. expression A valid expression or value to assign to column. DEFAULT This column will be filled in by the column DEFAULT clause, or NULL if a default is not available. query A valid query. Refer to the SELECT statement for a further description of valid arguments. OUTPUTS INSERT oid 1 Message returned if only one row was inserted. oid is the numeric OID of the inserted row. INSERT 0 # Message returned if more than one rows were inserted. # is the number of rows inserted. DESCRIPTION
INSERT allows one to insert new rows into a table. One can insert a single row at a time or several rows as a result of a query. The col- umns in the target list may be listed in any order. Each column not present in the target list will be inserted using a default value, either a declared DEFAULT value or NULL. PostgreSQL will reject the new column if a NULL is inserted into a column declared NOT NULL. If the expression for each column is not of the correct data type, automatic type coercion will be attempted. You must have insert privilege to a table in order to append to it, as well as select privilege on any table specified in a WHERE clause. USAGE
Insert a single row into table films: INSERT INTO films VALUES ('UA502','Bananas',105,'1971-07-13','Comedy',INTERVAL '82 minute'); In this second example the last column len is omitted and therefore it will have the default value of NULL: INSERT INTO films (code, title, did, date_prod, kind) VALUES ('T_601', 'Yojimbo', 106, DATE '1961-06-16', 'Drama'); In the third example, we use the DEFAULT values for the date columns rather than specifying an entry. INSERT INTO films VALUES ('UA502','Bananas',105,DEFAULT,'Comedy',INTERVAL '82 minute'); INSERT INTO films (code, title, did, date_prod, kind) VALUES ('T_601', 'Yojimbo', 106, DEFAULT, 'Drama'); Insert a single row into table distributors; note that only column name is specified, so the omitted column did will be assigned its default value: INSERT INTO distributors (name) VALUES ('British Lion'); Insert several rows into table films from table tmp: INSERT INTO films SELECT * FROM tmp; Insert into arrays (refer to the PostgreSQL User's Guide for further information about arrays): -- Create an empty 3x3 gameboard for noughts-and-crosses -- (all of these queries create the same board attribute) INSERT INTO tictactoe (game, board[1:3][1:3]) VALUES (1,'{{"","",""},{},{"",""}}'); INSERT INTO tictactoe (game, board[3][3]) VALUES (2,'{}'); INSERT INTO tictactoe (game, board) VALUES (3,'{{,,},{,,},{,,}}'); COMPATIBILITY
SQL92 INSERT is fully compatible with SQL92. Possible limitations in features of the query clause are documented for SELECT [select(7)]. SQL - Language Statements 2002-11-22 INSERT(7)