Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Copy a file from Linux
Homework and Emergencies Emergency UNIX and Linux Support Copy a file from Linux Post 302439821 by Corona688 on Saturday 24th of July 2010 12:38:52 AM
Old 07-24-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by naree
But i don't want to use any protocols.
You have a fundamental misunderstanding of the meaning of 'protocol'. They're what make communication of any sort possible. You have to have one!

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Where do I download LINUX & UNIX?

Where can i get a copy of Unix or Linux?

where can i get a free copy of unix? any kind... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gregtampa
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

linux, copy a:\file to /tmp in linux?

hi, i am on linux 8. i wanted to copy a file from my a:\filename to my linux 8 /tmp directroy. how do i do this or any directions as in how to accompilsh. thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: yls177
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

command for copy file from CD to Linux box

Hi , I have simple question as i am beginner , I have to copy one file from cd(compact disc) to my linux box on some directory. With which command and how can i do that? Thanks sam71 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam70
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

copy and paste certain many lines of huge file in linux

Dear All, I am working with windoes OS but remote a linux machine. I wonder the way to copy an paste some part of a huge file in linux machine. the contain of file like as follow: ... dump annealling all custom 10 anneal_*.dat id type x y z q timestep 0.02 run 200000 Memory... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ariesto
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

I want to copy a file from Linux

Hi Experts, I want to copy a file from a Linux machine to another Linux machine or a windows machine shared drive. I mean to say.. cp filename //hostname/shareddrive. I don't want to mount. Is there any way we can do it. Regards Naree Double post. Replies here moved to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: naree
0 Replies

6. SuSE

I want to copy a file from Linux

Hi Experts, I want to copy a file from a Linux machine to another Linux machine or a windows machine shared drive. I mean to say.. cp filename //hostname/shareddrive. I don't want to mount. Is there any way we can do it. Regards Naree (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: naree
1 Replies

7. IP Networking

Need to copy file from Linux to DOS.

I have two PCs with Ubuntu 10.4 and DOS 5.0, which are connected with a 9 pins serial cable. I need to copy some files from the Linux box to the DOS box. I tried UUCP but it's too difficult and i didn't found a working client for DOS. Can you help me? Thanks for any reply! (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: mghis
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to copy the directory but not copy certain file

Hi experts cp bin root src /mnt but not copy bin/bigfile any help? ( I post this thread in the "redhat" forum wrongly, I don't know how to withdraw that question in that wrong forum) Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: yanglei_fage
6 Replies
SOCKET_CREATE(3)							 1							  SOCKET_CREATE(3)

socket_create - Create a socket (endpoint for communication)

SYNOPSIS
resource socket_create (int $domain, int $type, int $protocol) DESCRIPTION
Creates and returns a socket resource, also referred to as an endpoint of communication. A typical network connection is made up of 2 sockets, one performing the role of the client, and another performing the role of the server. PARAMETERS
o $domain - The $domain parameter specifies the protocol family to be used by the socket. Available address/protocol families +---------+---------------------------------------------------+ | Domain | | | | | | | Description | | | | +---------+---------------------------------------------------+ | | | |AF_INET | | | | | | | IPv4 Internet based protocols. TCP and UDP are | | | common protocols of this protocol family. | | | | | | | |AF_INET6 | | | | | | | IPv6 Internet based protocols. TCP and UDP are | | | common protocols of this protocol family. | | | | | | | |AF_UNIX | | | | | | | Local communication protocol family. High effi- | | | ciency and low overhead make it a great form of | | | IPC (Interprocess Communication). | | | | +---------+---------------------------------------------------+ o $type - The $type parameter selects the type of communication to be used by the socket. Available socket types +---------------+---------------------------------------------------+ | Type | | | | | | | Description | | | | +---------------+---------------------------------------------------+ | | | | SOCK_STREAM | | | | | | | Provides sequenced, reliable, full-duplex, con- | | | nection-based byte streams. An out-of-band data | | | transmission mechanism may be supported. The TCP | | | protocol is based on this socket type. | | | | | | | | SOCK_DGRAM | | | | | | | Supports datagrams (connectionless, unreliable | | | messages of a fixed maximum length). The UDP pro- | | | tocol is based on this socket type. | | | | | | | |SOCK_SEQPACKET | | | | | | | Provides a sequenced, reliable, two-way connec- | | | tion-based data transmission path for datagrams | | | of fixed maximum length; a consumer is required | | | to read an entire packet with each read call. | | | | | | | | SOCK_RAW | | | | | | | Provides raw network protocol access. This spe- | | | cial type of socket can be used to manually con- | | | struct any type of protocol. A common use for | | | this socket type is to perform ICMP requests | | | (like ping). | | | | | | | | SOCK_RDM | | | | | | | Provides a reliable datagram layer that does not | | | guarantee ordering. This is most likely not | | | implemented on your operating system. | | | | +---------------+---------------------------------------------------+ o $protocol - The $protocol parameter sets the specific protocol within the specified $domain to be used when communicating on the returned socket. The proper value can be retrieved by name by using getprotobyname(3). If the desired protocol is TCP, or UDP the corre- sponding constants SOL_TCP, and SOL_UDP can also be used. Common protocols +-----+---------------------------------------------------+ |Name | | | | | | | Description | | | | +-----+---------------------------------------------------+ |icmp | | | | | | | The Internet Control Message Protocol is used | | | primarily by gateways and hosts to report errors | | | in datagram communication. The "ping" command | | | (present in most modern operating systems) is an | | | example application of ICMP. | | | | |udp | | | | | | | The User Datagram Protocol is a connectionless, | | | unreliable, protocol with fixed record lengths. | | | Due to these aspects, UDP requires a minimum | | | amount of protocol overhead. | | | | |tcp | | | | | | | The Transmission Control Protocol is a reliable, | | | connection based, stream oriented, full duplex | | | protocol. TCP guarantees that all data packets | | | will be received in the order in which they were | | | sent. If any packet is somehow lost during commu- | | | nication, TCP will automatically retransmit the | | | packet until the destination host acknowledges | | | that packet. For reliability and performance rea- | | | sons, the TCP implementation itself decides the | | | appropriate octet boundaries of the underlying | | | datagram communication layer. Therefore, TCP | | | applications must allow for the possibility of | | | partial record transmission. | | | | +-----+---------------------------------------------------+ RETURN VALUES
socket_create(3) returns a socket resource on success, or FALSE on error. The actual error code can be retrieved by calling socket_last_error(3). This error code may be passed to socket_strerror(3) to get a textual explanation of the error. ERRORS
/EXCEPTIONS If an invalid $domain or $type is given, socket_create(3) defaults to AF_INET and SOCK_STREAM respectively and additionally emits an E_WARNING message. SEE ALSO
socket_accept(3), socket_bind(3), socket_connect(3), socket_listen(3), socket_last_error(3), socket_strerror(3). PHP Documentation Group SOCKET_CREATE(3)