Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting determine file type by content, not extension Post 302439809 by drl on Friday 23rd of July 2010 09:36:41 PM
Old 07-23-2010
Hi.
Quote:
[command] file tests each argument in an attempt to classify it. There are three
sets of tests, performed in this order: filesystem tests, magic tests,
and language tests.

-- excerpt from man file, GNU/Linux
cheers, drl

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Command to determine Tape Type

I have 2 UNIX boxes and I need to determine whether or not they possess the same tape drive. What is the hardware command to determine what type of tape drive is present? Thx in advance. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Surdeymon
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

determine file type with perl

Hello i will like to know please how can i determine file type inside perl script not using the unix "file" program Thanks allot (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: umen
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Lynx - Downloading - extension handling - changing mime type?

Using Lynx, when I try to download a .rar, it confirms I want to download and its got it as an appication/rar file. However, split archives that end in .r## (.r00, .r01 ...) are not recognized as an appication/rar file and it reads the file like a .txt or .html. How can I fix this? Thanks! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yitzle
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using 'stat' to determine file system type (with Zenity)

edited and removed (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mdpalow
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to determine what type of backup I've on the tape

I've tape which I've to use to restore data. The problem is that I don't know what type of backup I have on this type. Can someone help me and tell me how can I determine what type of backup is on the tape? Thanks for your help. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fraydey
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check file content type

I have a shell script that takes a file and uses "syncsort" to sort contents. I want to add a condition to check whether the input file is textual or binary format. If textual, the "syncsort" will be used to sort the files contents. Otherwise, the sorting process will be skipped. Note that the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: synthea
3 Replies

7. HP-UX

How to determine the fie system type?

Good day I need create new mount points on a server. I'm not very familiar with HP-UX and was given steps on how to go about doing the mounting, etc. Before I start though, I need to determine which file system type is currently being used. This will determine whether i need to extend the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: notreallyhere
3 Replies

8. Solaris

Solaris Cmd to determine type of zone?

I lost my notes on the subject, but I remember running across a single Solaris command that tells you the following Global zone vs local zone Sparse local zone vs Whole Root local zone Can anyone advise? Thanks-In-Advance!! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ckmehta
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Determine Content-Type

I am limited to using only libraries that come with the default install of ActivePerl. I'd like to be able to determine the content type of a file on the fly. I thought CGI.pm might do it, but it looks a little weird to me from the perldoc. If someone has a quick way to determine the type of... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrwatkin
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Facing issues with Content-Type:application/x-download Content-Disposition:attachment

I am in the process of developing a perl cgi page. I had succeeded in developing the page but there are few errors/issues with the page. description about cgi page: My CGI page retrieves all the file names from an directory and displays the files in drop down menu for downloading the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: scriptscript
5 Replies
POSTCAT(1)						      General Commands Manual							POSTCAT(1)

NAME
postcat - show Postfix queue file contents SYNOPSIS
postcat [-bdehnoqv] [-c config_dir] [files...] DESCRIPTION
The postcat(1) command prints the contents of the named files in human-readable form. The files are expected to be in Postfix queue file format. If no files are specified on the command line, the program reads from standard input. By default, postcat(1) shows the envelope and message content, as if the options -beh were specified. To view message content only, specify -bh (Postfix 2.7 and later). Options: -b Show body content. The -b option starts producing output at the first non-header line, and stops when the end of the message is reached. This feature is available in Postfix 2.7 and later. -c config_dir The main.cf configuration file is in the named directory instead of the default configuration directory. -d Print the decimal type of each record. -e Show message envelope content. This feature is available in Postfix 2.7 and later. -h Show message header content. The -h option produces output from the beginning of the message up to, but not including, the first non-header line. This feature is available in Postfix 2.7 and later. -o Print the queue file offset of each record. -q Search the Postfix queue for the named files instead of taking the names literally. This feature is available in Postfix 2.0 and later. -v Enable verbose logging for debugging purposes. Multiple -v options make the software increasingly verbose. DIAGNOSTICS
Problems are reported to the standard error stream. ENVIRONMENT
MAIL_CONFIG Directory with Postfix configuration files. CONFIGURATION PARAMETERS
The following main.cf parameters are especially relevant to this program. The text below provides only a parameter summary. See postconf(5) for more details including examples. config_directory (see 'postconf -d' output) The default location of the Postfix main.cf and master.cf configuration files. queue_directory (see 'postconf -d' output) The location of the Postfix top-level queue directory. FILES
/var/spool/postfix, Postfix queue directory SEE ALSO
postconf(5), Postfix configuration LICENSE
The Secure Mailer license must be distributed with this software. AUTHOR(S) Wietse Venema IBM T.J. Watson Research P.O. Box 704 Yorktown Heights, NY 10598, USA POSTCAT(1)