Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Count the characters in a string Post 302439633 by itkamaraj on Friday 23rd of July 2010 07:21:44 AM
Old 07-23-2010
Thanks dude,

but i dont want to use any existing commands, this is an interview question. we can easily do it using the commands.

another approach :
Code:
echo "kamaraj" | while read -n1 char; do echo $char;done | sort | uniq -c

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Word Count without any characters but the Output String

Hi all, I am logging any access to a server, and i wanted to write a script which tells me how much entries there are. The Problem is that "wc -l log" outputs the correct number of lines but with the name of the file attached. is there any nice possibility to solve this that i ONLY... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: JP_II
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to count characters by line of file ?

Hello, Member or professional need help how to count characters by line of file Example of the file is here cdr20080817164322811681txt cdr20080817164322811txt cdr20080817164322811683txt cdr20080817164322811684txt I want to count the characters by line of file . The output that I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ooilinlove
4 Replies

3. Programming

Count the number of repeated characters in a given string

i have a string "dfasdfasdfadf" i want to count the number of times each character is repeated.. For instance, d is repeated 4 times, f is repeated 4 times.. can u give a program in c (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pgmfourms
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep command to count characters

I have a file that I need to count the number of "Y"s in the file, but just the "Y"s that fall between certain columns. Like: file1: 1234567890123456789012345 BBBBBBYBBBBYBBYBBYBBYBBB I want to count the 'Y's between 17 and 21 = 2 "Y"s Thanks (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: jbt828
12 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count number of characters in particular column

Hi i have data like abchd 124 ldskc aattggcc each separated by tab space i want to count number of characters in 4th column and print it in new column with tabspace for every line can anyone help me how to do it. Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhargavpbk88
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

count different characters from one column

Hi everyone, and thanks after all I'm a biologist and i have to extract information from one text. The text is something like this 1023 A A 56 0 cc...,,,,..gg..Cc.c,,c..CC..,, 1024 T T 86 0 ..,,,..aaAA..,,aAA,,a,,A,,a 1025 G G 125 0 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: beajorrin
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count characters after a line

Hi All! I would like to solve a problem but I have no clue of how do it!I will be grateful if someone could help me! I have a file like this: > genes | transcript ...sequence.... >ENSMUSG00000006638|ENSMUST00000006814 GGGAAATGGAATACCCCTACACAACCAAGATGCTGAGTTCCTCCCTGAGCCCGCAAAACG... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: giuliangiuseppe
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep a string and count following lines starting with another string

I have a large dataset with following structure; C 0001 Carbon D SAR001 methane D SAR002 ethane D SAR003 propane D SAR004 butane D SAR005 pentane C 0002 Hydrogen C 0003 Nitrogen C 0004 Oxygen D SAR011 ozone D SAR012 super oxide C 0005 Sulphur D SAR013... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Syeda Sumayya
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count consecutive characters

Need to count consecutive characters in a string and give the output as below i/p=aaaabbcaa o/p=a4b2c1a2 (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: prasanna2166
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Outputting characters after a given string and reporting the characters in the row below --sed

I have this fastq file: @M04961:22:000000000-B5VGJ:1:1101:9280:7106 1:N:0:86 GGGGGGGGGGGGCATGAAAACATACAAACCGTCTTTCCAGAAATTGTTCCAAGTATCGGCAACAGCTTTATCAATACCATGAAAAATATCAACCACACCA +test-1 GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGCCGGGGGFF,EDFFGEDFG,@DGGCGGEGGG7DCGGGF68CGFFFGGGG@CGDGFFDFEFEFF:30CGAFFDFEFF8CAF;;8... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xterra
10 Replies
MSH(1)                                                               [nmh-1.5]                                                              MSH(1)

NAME
msh - nmh shell (and BBoard reader) SYNOPSIS
msh [-prompt string] [-scan | -noscan] [-topcur | -notopcur] [file] [-version] [-help] DESCRIPTION
msh is an interactive program that implements a subset of the normal nmh commands operating on a single file in packf'dformat. That is, msh is used to read a file that contains a number of messages, as opposed to the standard nmh style of reading a number of files, each file being a separate message in a folder. msh's chief advantage is that the normal nmh style does not allow a file to have more than one mes- sage in it. Hence, msh is ideal for reading BBoards, as these files are delivered by the transport system in this format. In addition, msh can be used on other files, such as message archives which have been packed (see packf(1)). Finally, msh is an excellent nmh tutor. As the only commands available to the user are nmh commands, this allows nmh beginners to concentrate on how commands to nmh are formed and (more or less) what they mean. When invoked, msh reads the named file, and enters a command loop. The user may type most of the normal nmh commands. The syntax and semantics of these commands typed to msh are identical to their nmh counterparts. In cases where the nature of msh would be inconsistent (e.g., specifying a +folder with some commands), msh will duly inform the user. The commands that msh currently supports (in some slightly modified or restricted forms) are: ali burst comp dist folder forw inc mark mhmail mhn msgchk next packf pick prev refile repl rmm scan send show sortm whatnow whom In addition, msh has a help command which gives a brief overview. To terminate msh, type CTRL-D, or use the quit command. If the file is writable and has been modified, then using quit will query the user if the file should be updated. The -prompt string switch sets the prompting string for msh. You may wish to use an alternate nmh profile for the commands that msh executes; see mh-profile(5) for details about the $MH environment variable. The exit command is identical to the quit command in msh. msh supports an output redirection facility. Commands may be followed by one of ^> file~^write output to file ^>> file~^append output to file ^| command~^pipe output to UNIX command If file starts with a " " (tilde), then a csh-like expansion takes place. Note that command is interpreted by sh. Also note that msh does NOT support history substitutions, variable substitutions, or alias substitutions. When parsing commands to the left of any redirection symbol, msh will honor `' (back-slash) as the quote next-character symbol, and `"' (double-quote) as quote-word delimiters. All other input tokens are separated by whitespace (spaces and tabs). FILES
$HOME/.mh_profile The user profile /etc/nmh/mts.conf nmh mts configuration file PROFILE COMPONENTS
Path: To determine the user's nmh directory Msg-Protect: To set mode when creating a new `file' fileproc: Program to file messages showproc: Program to show messages SEE ALSO
packf(1) DEFAULTS
`file' defaults to "./msgbox" `-prompt (msh) ' `-noscan' `-notopcur' CONTEXT
None BUGS
The argument to the -prompt switch must be interpreted as a single token by the shell that invokes msh. Therefore, one must usually place the argument to this switch inside double-quotes. There is a strict limit of messages per file in packf'd format which msh can handle. Usually, this limit is 1000 messages. Please remember that msh is not the C-Shell, and that a lot of the nice facilities provided by the latter are not present in the former. In particular, msh does not understand back-quoting, so the only effective way to use pick inside msh is to always use the -seq select switch. Clever users of nmh will put the line pick: -seq select -list in their .mh_profile file so that pick works equally well from both the shell and msh. sortm always uses -noverbose and if -textfield field is used, -limit 0. The msh program inherits most (if not all) of the bugs from the nmh commands it implements. MH.6.8 11 June 2012 MSH(1)