Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Newb with While loop question Post 302439442 by frans on Thursday 22nd of July 2010 02:11:19 PM
Old 07-22-2010
The returned code is the one of the last command. Maybe here it's of the 'true' at the beginning of the while loop.
Not sure that you can just grep the output of tcpdump to capture the city names.
I'm not familiar with tcpdump, but i think you should look at its manual to find another way.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

newb shell question

I know this is a total begginer question but what is wrong with this picture. My loop wont loop, it just drops me back to the prompt and gives the error "unary operator expected". Any help would be appreciated. here it is, #!/bin/sh selection= while do cat << MENU 1)List files in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Fokus
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help for a newb

ok i just installed FreeBSD 4.8 on a computer i had lying around and it was working ok but then when i tried to set up KDE's xdm (kdm) i think i must have configured the login manager wrong because i cant login through the kdm and therefore i can log in to BSD at all?! please can someone help me... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: h3x
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Newb question

I don't even know if this should go here but I just would like to know what this means: d0e45878043844ffc41aac437e86b602 I know absolutely nothin' about UNIX, and I found this in a SQL table in a board I run. Someone please tell me what that is in "normal" mode. Pardon me for my... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: daeglin
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ok I'm a Newb, Please Help

I am wanting to download the Linux Program. When i go to download it I see several things to download. What do i download exactly? Then what do I do to install it. Also I have partitioned my hard drive to make way for Linux on the other part to play with it, will any problems arise from this? I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Seeto
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Newb scripting question, I get the error script not found

This is probably a really simple problem, but goes easy on me I'm still a newb. The problem I have is that a script (we'll call it script.script) I edited won't run for some reason, I get the error "ksh: script.script: not found" The location of my script is as follows: /home/users/arkitech ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arkitech
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Another newb question: how to use test for zero-length string ?

Assume $x equals "". If I try: if test -n $x I get the "Expression syntax" error. It works in Linux but not in unix bash. In unix bourne I get "test: argument expected" (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lumix
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH loop inside a loop question

Hi all Sorry for the basic question, but i am writing a shell script to get around a slightly flaky binary that ships with one of our servers. This particular utility randomly generates the correct information and could work first time or may work on the 12th or 100th attempt etc !.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rethink
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Newb question about getting a word from a text file

Hi everyone. I am new to shell scripting and have been looking at quite a few web pages to try and figure this out, but to no avail. What I am trying to do is get a value from a text file that contains a paragraph of information.. Something similar too: Welcome to random script You are... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: elemenopee
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

NEWB Question - BASH COMMAND RESULT for ${0##*/}

This should be extremely simple and someone will probably answer it in .5 seconds. I need to know what: VARIABLE=${0##*/} does? I do not have a shell handy to just try it in. I am reading through some scripts and need to understand this line. Any help is appreciated. Many thanks! -... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chrisgoetz
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Question around For Loop

Hi, I have a variable called result that get the the below value i.e two lines assigned../logs/mymac/myserver.log:####<Jun 7, 2015 12:56:54 PM EDT> <myserver.my.bank.com> <mymac> < ExecuteThread: '5' for queue:\ 'weblogic.kernel.Default (self-tuning)'> <<WLS Kernel>> <1434640> <BEA-0900>... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: shifahim
0 Replies
ENC(4)							   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						    ENC(4)

NAME
enc -- Encapsulating Interface SYNOPSIS
To compile this driver into the kernel, place the following line in your kernel configuration file: device enc DESCRIPTION
The enc interface is a software loopback mechanism that allows hosts or firewalls to filter ipsec(4) traffic using any firewall package that hooks in via the pfil(9) framework. The enc interface allows an administrator to see incoming and outgoing packets before and after they will be or have been processed by ipsec(4) via tcpdump(1). The ``enc0'' interface inherits all IPsec traffic. Thus all IPsec traffic can be filtered based on ``enc0'', and all IPsec traffic could be seen by invoking tcpdump(1) on the ``enc0'' interface. What can be seen with tcpdump(1) and what will be passed on to the firewalls via the pfil(9) framework can be independently controlled using the following sysctl(8) variables: Name Defaults Suggested net.enc.out.ipsec_bpf_mask 0x00000003 0x00000001 net.enc.out.ipsec_filter_mask 0x00000001 0x00000001 net.enc.in.ipsec_bpf_mask 0x00000001 0x00000002 net.enc.in.ipsec_filter_mask 0x00000001 0x00000002 For the incoming path a value of 0x1 means ``before stripping off the outer header'' and 0x2 means ``after stripping off the outer header''. For the outgoing path 0x1 means ``with only the inner header'' and 0x2 means ``with outer and inner headers''. incoming path |------| ---- IPsec processing ---- (before) ---- (after) ----> | | | Host | <--- IPsec processing ---- (after) ----- (before) ---- | | outgoing path |------| Most people will want to run with the suggested defaults for ipsec_filter_mask and rely on the security policy database for the outer head- ers. EXAMPLES
To see the packets the processed via ipsec(4), adjust the sysctl(8) variables according to your need and run: tcpdump -i enc0 SEE ALSO
tcpdump(1), bpf(4), ipf(4), ipfw(4), ipsec(4), pf(4), tcpdump(8) BSD
November 28, 2007 BSD