Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users PPID differs in script and prompt Post 302439310 by alexalex1 on Thursday 22nd of July 2010 08:44:54 AM
Old 07-22-2010
PPID differs in script and prompt

I tried several times to get answer to the below problem. Someone can please help me?

Code:
[tmp]$ cat p1.sh
#!/bin/sh

`./c1.sh &`

while [ 10 -le 11 ]  # indefinite loop
do
       x=5;
done

[tmp]$ cat c1.sh [/B] # sleep for 10 sec and exit
#!/bin/sh
sleep 10;

Execute P1 as ./p1 &

Code:
[ tmp]$ ps -eaf | grep c1
pp1   20487     1  0 22:37 pts/14   00:00:00 /bin/sh ./c1.sh

[ tmp]$ ps -eaf | grep p1
pp1   20485 19920  6 22:37 pts/14   00:00:00 /bin/sh ./p1.sh

(1) Why does the PPID of c1.sh has been assigned to 1? Why can't it be PID of p1.sh? Thanks in advance

Last edited by pludi; 07-22-2010 at 09:51 AM.. Reason: code tags, please...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need a script to kill processes with PPID of 1

Hi, I have been trying to come up with a script to run as a cron job to kill any processes that have PPID of 1. I have created a file that contains the PID and the PPID. How can I read this file and then execute a kill on any PID where PPID is 1. The file looks like this: 4904 1 4455 1... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lbaysdon
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

print the first 5 lines in which 2 files differs

it is a simple problem, but I am totally new to shell programming There are 2 files. I have to print the 5 five lines which are different. I appreciate any help. 10x. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: atticus
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

pid differs

I always find that the pid I get from: /var/run/syslog-ng.pid and ps -ef |grep syslog-ng are different. this also happens on other pids. why? If I am going to kill a process, which pid should I use? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fredao
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

what is the meaning of ppid 1?

Is there any meaning on parent process id when it is equal = 1? It is found that most of the ppid is lower than pid of the same process by 1 when perform ps -ef but notice that some process's ppid is 1 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: darkrainbow
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how ./example.sh differs from . /example.sh and ./ example.sh

May i know the difference between the execution of the commands: ./example.sh . /example.sh and ./ example.sh the last and last but one is having space in between that is the difference please suggest me the answer for this...:confused: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lokeshpashine
4 Replies

6. Solaris

why process PPID changes to 1

Hi All, I have just started using SUN Solaris o.s version is :SunOS spdwa013(my server name) 5.8 Generic_117350-61 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-480R My problem is that i have some processes running on that server they have a PID and a PPID. But sometimes the PPID for a particular process... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: usha rao
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

script execution differs in cron

I have the following script (MyScript): #!/bin/sh ps U erv | grep -v grep | grep -F "/usr/bin/collect -o 101" echo "Result: $?" When executed from the command line, I get ... (the line containing /usr/bin/collect -o 101) Result: 0 (which is correct since collect is running) When I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lost_neko
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shall I go for uid or ppid?

Hi Guys, I'd like to ask your advice on the following, I've written this script to terminate a given process by name: #!/bin/bash echo 'Please enter the process you wish to terminate' read process pid=$(pidof $process) kill -9 $pid echo $2 to make it safer I want it to reject the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lora Graham
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Process Name from PPID

Hi, I am currently trying to pin down a process NAME (could be a cron job or a tty) in Solaris. First I obtained a pid and then a ppid. I want to take the PPID and from there find the program/process that is making the VSH go high (cpu usage). I am currently trying to go up the chain using PS... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: troystevens
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Output of echo $$ differs in Script than console

Hi All, I have a very basic query for 'echo $$' command. When I am executing echo $$ on console then it is giving different output than the execution of echo $$ in a script. Console Output: ------------------------- bash-3.2$ echo $$ 15610 bash-3.2$ In Script:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: manishdivs
3 Replies
BZEXE(1)						      General Commands Manual							  BZEXE(1)

NAME
bzexe - compress executable files in place SYNOPSIS
bzexe [ name ... ] DESCRIPTION
The bzexe utility allows you to compress executables in place and have them automatically uncompress and execute when you run them (at a penalty in performance). For example if you execute ``bzexe /bin/cat'' it will create the following two files: -r-xr-xr-x 1 root bin 9644 Feb 11 11:16 /bin/cat -r-xr-xr-x 1 bin bin 24576 Nov 23 13:21 /bin/cat~ /bin/cat~ is the original file and /bin/cat is the self-uncompressing executable file. You can remove /bin/cat~ once you are sure that /bin/cat works properly. This utility is most useful on systems with very small disks. OPTIONS
-d Decompress the given executables instead of compressing them. SEE ALSO
bzip2(1), znew(1), zmore(1), zcmp(1), zforce(1) CAVEATS
The compressed executable is a shell script. This may create some security holes. In particular, the compressed executable relies on the PATH environment variable to find gzip and some other utilities (tail, chmod, ln, sleep). BUGS
bzexe attempts to retain the original file attributes on the compressed executable, but you may have to fix them manually in some cases, using chmod or chown. BZEXE(1)