Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting using the $1 $2 etc for words in awk Post 302439253 by Scott on Thursday 22nd of July 2010 07:04:59 AM
Old 07-22-2010
Hi.

You could use a for-loop:

Code:
for( i = 3; i <= NF; i++ ) ...

Or, perhaps:
Code:
$ echo 1 2 3 4 5 6 | awk '{if( NF > 2) { $3 = RS $3}}1'
1 2
3 4 5 6

These 2 Users Gave Thanks to Scott For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

merging 2 lines with awk and stripping first two words

Hey all i am pretty new to awk... here my problem. My input is something like this: type: NSR client; name: pegasus; save set: /, /var, /part, /part/part2, /testpartition, /foo/bar,... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: bazzed
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract numbers below words with awk

Hi all, Please some help over here. I have a Sales.txt file containing info in blocks for every sold product in the pattern showed below (only for 2 products). NEW BLOCK SALE DATA PRODUCT SERIAL 79833269999 146701011945004 .Some other data .Some... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: cgkmal
17 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk after words

hi sorry, newbie for scripting.. the text file: abcdefghijk%%$%^U^%234454234 I got awk script: awk ' ($1 == "abcd") the output only show: abcd I tried using asterix: awk ' ($1 == "abcd*") but same output abcd only... how can I get all of the line ?? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: flekzout
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get a known word between two known words using awk

hi I have posted it earlier but i was unable to put my exact problem.This time posting in parts. I have a text file which i had transferred to UNIX.It has strings like: alter table table_name add (column_name); as well as modify options. now i need to read the table name between alter... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alisha
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

search several words with awk command

Hello, I want to test if i find the word CACCIA AND idlck in a file, i have to print a message Ok. For that , i need to user a awk command with a && logical. Can you help me ? :confused: ### CACCIA: DEBUT ### if $(grep -wqi "$2" /etc/passwd); then && rm /etc/security/.idlck ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: khalidou13
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

search for a pattern using awk between two words

Hi, how can we search for a pattren between two words? below are the examples input 1)select from table_name c1,c2,c3,c4,fn(),fn2(),c5;-->false 2)select from table_name c1,c2,c3,c4;--True 3)select from table c1, c2, c3, fn(), c4;-->true 4)select from table_name c1, c2, c3;-->true... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: manasa_vs
11 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Need help either with awk or sed to get text between words

Hello All, My requirement is to get test between two words START & END, something like html tags Eg. Input file: START Line1 Line2 Line3 CLOSE START Line4 Line5 Line6 END START Line7 START Line8 (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: konerusuneel
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK count letters words

Hi All! can anyone help me with this code? I want to count words or letters in every line with if(count>20){else echo $myline} awk '/<script /{p=1} /<\/script>/{p=0; next}!p' index.html | while read myline; do echo $myline done Thank you !!! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanantonio7777
3 Replies

9. Programming

[awk]Chinese words!!

Is there a way to extract chinese words from a text written in an European Language? I want to create a glossary and finding a way would make me save time! Thank you! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ettore8888
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Permutation Words in awk

i have 13 different words. I need to get permutations like all combinations of this words: word1 word2 word3 word4 word5 word6 word7 word8 word9 word10 word11 word12 word13 But the combinations only should be 12 words long. Is there a fast efficient way to do this? Maybe with linux tool... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: watcherpro
1 Replies
foreach(n)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							foreach(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
foreach - Iterate over all elements in one or more lists SYNOPSIS
foreach varname list body foreach varlist1 list1 ?varlist2 list2 ...? body _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The foreach command implements a loop where the loop variable(s) take on values from one or more lists. In the simplest case there is one loop variable, varname, and one list, list, that is a list of values to assign to varname. The body argument is a Tcl script. For each element of list (in order from first to last), foreach assigns the contents of the element to varname as if the lindex command had been used to extract the element, then calls the Tcl interpreter to execute body. In the general case there can be more than one value list (e.g., list1 and list2), and each value list can be associated with a list of loop variables (e.g., varlist1 and varlist2). During each iteration of the loop the variables of each varlist are assigned consecutive values from the corresponding list. Values in each list are used in order from first to last, and each value is used exactly once. The total number of loop iterations is large enough to use up all the values from all the value lists. If a value list does not contain enough elements for each of its loop variables in each iteration, empty values are used for the missing elements. The break and continue statements may be invoked inside body, with the same effect as in the for command. Foreach returns an empty string. EXAMPLES
This loop prints every value in a list together with the square and cube of the value: set values {1 3 5 7 2 4 6 8} ;# Odd numbers first, for fun! puts "Value Square Cube" ;# Neat-looking header foreach x $values { ;# Now loop and print... puts " $x [expr {$x**2}] [expr {$x**3}]" } The following loop uses i and j as loop variables to iterate over pairs of elements of a single list. set x {} foreach {i j} {a b c d e f} { lappend x $j $i } # The value of x is "b a d c f e" # There are 3 iterations of the loop. The next loop uses i and j to iterate over two lists in parallel. set x {} foreach i {a b c} j {d e f g} { lappend x $i $j } # The value of x is "a d b e c f {} g" # There are 4 iterations of the loop. The two forms are combined in the following example. set x {} foreach i {a b c} {j k} {d e f g} { lappend x $i $j $k } # The value of x is "a d e b f g c {} {}" # There are 3 iterations of the loop. SEE ALSO
for(n), while(n), break(n), continue(n) KEYWORDS
foreach, iteration, list, looping Tcl foreach(n)