Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to use awk for printing line from database table? Post 302439236 by radoulov on Thursday 22nd of July 2010 06:23:12 AM
Old 07-22-2010
I don't seem to understand the requirement too,
if you want to trim the white space characters at the end of each line, just enable trimspool:

Code:
set trimspool on

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

printing a line number using awk

Hi Chaps, I'm trying to print the line number of a comma delimited file where the second field in the line is blank using AWK. Here is the code I have so far where am I going wrong. It is the last column in the file. nawk -v x==0 'BEGIN {FS=",";OFS=","} x++ if ($2 == " ") print $x' bob.tst ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rjsha1
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Printing a specific line using AWK

Hi, I have a script that fetches only specific information from fcinfo command. Below is a portion of the script. #!/usr/bin/ksh set -x HBA_COUNT=`sudo fcinfo hba-port | grep -i state | awk 'END{print NR}'` echo "$HBA_COUNT HBAs exist" echo '........' INDEX=1 while $INDEX -le... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jake_won
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Maybe by AWK: printing help diagonal matrix characters into line

Hi Experts, I want to print this charts diagonal data into straight lines. This is a matrix 24X24 Horizontal and vertical. - I want to print all the diagonal cutting characters into straight line: Data: E F S S A H A L L A T M C N O T S O B O D U Q H I W I B N L O C N I L N L A N S I N... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: rveri
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Matching and printing line with awk

Hi there, I'm trying to use awk to print out the entire line that contains a match to a certain regex and then append some text,plus the match to the end of the line. So far I have: awk -F: '{print "RG:Z:" $2}' file Which prints out the match I want plus the additional text, but I'm stuck... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jim_lad
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using awk to find max and printing entire line

Hi folks, I am very new to awk. I have what is probably a very simple question. I'm trying to get the max value of column 1, but also print column 2. My data looks like this: 0.044|2000-02-03 14:00:00 5.23|2000-02-03 05:45:00 5.26|2000-02-03 11:15:00 0|2000-02-01 18:30:00 So in this case... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amandarobe
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed , awk script for printing matched line before regular expression

hi All , I am having a large file with lots of modules as shown below ############################################### module KKK kksd kskks jsn;lsm jsnlsn; Ring jjsjsj kskmsm jjs endmodule module llll 1kksd11 k232skks j33sn;l55sm (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kshitij
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk: Comparing arguments with in line values of file and printing the result

I need to develop a script where I will take two date arguments as parameter date1 and date2 which will in format YYYYMM. Below is the input file say sample.txt. sample.txt will have certain blocks starting with P1. Each block will have a value 118,1:TIMESTAMP. I need to compare the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: garvit184
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read a text file line by line and insert into a database table?

I have a test file that I want to read and insert only certain lines into the the table based on a filter. 1. Rread the log file 12 Hours back Getdate() -12 Hours 2. Extract the following information on for lines that say "DUMP is complete" A. Date B. Database Name C.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JolietJake
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk printing output to new line

Hi I have a file profile.txt with the below input: {"atgUserId":"736f14c4-eda2-4531-9d40-9de4d6d1fb0f","firstName":"donna","lastName":"biehler","email":"schoolathome42@live.com","receiveEmail":"y es"}, {"atgUserId":"c3716baf-9bf8-42da-8a44-a13fff68d20f","firstName":"Gilberto... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ankur328
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Printing string from last field of the nth line of file to start (or end) of each line (awk I think)

My file (the output of an experiment) starts off looking like this, _____________________________________________________________ Subjects incorporated to date: 001 Data file started on machine PKSHS260-05CP ********************************************************************** Subject 1,... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: samonl
9 Replies
TRIM(3) 								 1								   TRIM(3)

trim - Strip whitespace (or other characters) from the beginning and end of a string

SYNOPSIS
string trim (string $str, [string $character_mask = " 0r B"]) DESCRIPTION
This function returns a string with whitespace stripped from the beginning and end of $str. Without the second parameter, trim(3) will strip these characters: o " " (ASCII 32 ( 0x20)), an ordinary space. o " " (ASCII 9 ( 0x09)), a tab. o " " (ASCII 10 ( 0x0A)), a new line (line feed). o " " (ASCII 13 ( 0x0D)), a carriage return. o "" (ASCII 0 ( 0x00)), the NUL-byte. o "x0B" (ASCII 11 ( 0x0B)), a vertical tab. PARAMETERS
o $str - The string that will be trimmed. o $character_mask - Optionally, the stripped characters can also be specified using the $character_mask parameter. Simply list all characters that you want to be stripped. With .. you can specify a range of characters. RETURN VALUES
The trimmed string. EXAMPLES
Example #1 Usage example of trim(3) <?php $text = " These are a few words :) ... "; $binary = "x09Example stringx0A"; $hello = "Hello World"; var_dump($text, $binary, $hello); print " "; $trimmed = trim($text); var_dump($trimmed); $trimmed = trim($text, " ."); var_dump($trimmed); $trimmed = trim($hello, "Hdle"); var_dump($trimmed); $trimmed = trim($hello, 'HdWr'); var_dump($trimmed); // trim the ASCII control characters at the beginning and end of $binary // (from 0 to 31 inclusive) $clean = trim($binary, "x00..x1F"); var_dump($clean); ?> The above example will output: string(32) " These are a few words :) ... " string(16) " Example string " string(11) "Hello World" string(28) "These are a few words :) ..." string(24) "These are a few words :)" string(5) "o Wor" string(9) "ello Worl" string(14) "Example string" Example #2 Trimming array values with trim(3) <?php function trim_value(&$value) { $value = trim($value); } $fruit = array('apple','banana ', ' cranberry '); var_dump($fruit); array_walk($fruit, 'trim_value'); var_dump($fruit); ?> The above example will output: array(3) { [0]=> string(5) "apple" [1]=> string(7) "banana " [2]=> string(11) " cranberry " } array(3) { [0]=> string(5) "apple" [1]=> string(6) "banana" [2]=> string(9) "cranberry" } NOTES
Note Possible gotcha: removing middle characters Because trim(3) trims characters from the beginning and end of a string, it may be confusing when characters are (or are not) removed from the middle. trim('abc', 'bad') removes both 'a' and 'b' because it trims 'a' thus moving 'b' to the beginning to also be trimmed. So, this is why it "works" whereas trim('abc', 'b') seemingly does not. SEE ALSO
ltrim(3), rtrim(3), str_replace(3). PHP Documentation Group TRIM(3)