Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Sub-string extraction on arrays Post 302438519 by radoulov on Tuesday 20th of July 2010 03:28:14 AM
Old 07-20-2010
As far as I understand the question, the answer is no (you could only avoid the temporary variable that stores the count):

Code:
${ARRAY[@]:1:${#ARRAY[@]}-2}

Actually, it seems that you need getopts.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

String extraction from user input - sh

Hi, I have a shell script to build components of a product. The follow snippet will explain what I am doing. # !/bin/sh for choice in "$@" ; do case $choice in "o") echo "Calling $choice" ; o ;; "i") echo... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: vino
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extraction of string from Stringlist using delimiter

Hi Experts, I need to extract some set of strings one be one using delimiter. Example: shellscript.sh|unix.sh|script_file.sh i need to extract this shellscript.sh,unix.sh,script_file.sh separately. I tried but couldn't get. Please help me.. Thanks & Regards :), Kanda (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: spkandy
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

nasty string extraction problem

Hello, if I have a file containing a chunk of HTML and I want to extract always the string beginning http://www.xxx.com/v/ that ends just before "> (i.e. and including the bit BqqtJpfZElQ&hl will change randomly) Any ideas??? # cat randomfeature.html <object width="160"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kevinyeandel1
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extraction of the output from a string.

Hi Everyone, I stored the result of a certain awk script in the variable arr.The result is /inets /banking /tools. arr= /inets /banking /tools These are 3 direcctories. I should be able to move in to these directories using "cd" command.Can you tell me how to extract... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: saicharantej
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

String extraction from a text file

The following script code works great for extracting 'postmaster' from a line of text stored in a variable named string: string="PenaltyError:=554 5.7.1 Error, send your mail to postmaster@LOCALDOMAIN" stuff=$( echo $string | cut -d@ -f1 | awk '{ print $NF }' ) echo $stuff However, I need to be... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: cleanden
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in string extraction using regular expressions

Hi, I am a new bee to this forum. I am trying to extract the text after a matching pattern from a url using regular expression. Ex: http://locatlhost:2020/proxy/checkthisout I want to extract the string after proxy/. I am not familiar with reg ex. Can someone please help? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: akatraga
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

String Extraction in Perl

I have a string stored in a variable. For instance, $str = " Opcode called is : CM_OP_xxx " where xxx changes dynamically and can be either LOGIN or SEARCH..... depends on runtime. For example : $str = " Opcode called is : CM_OP_SEARCH " $str = " Opcode called is : CM_OP_LOGIN " I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vkca
3 Replies

8. Solaris

string extraction won't work. Why?

#!/usr/bin/ksh set -x testfile=my.test.file.flag echo ${testfile: (-4)} #/home/maldohe/scripts/spawn1& sleep 3 echo myspawn is now ending exit Background: I am trying to extract the word flag from anf given file name. This is a demo script that I am working on to fix a production issue.... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Harleyrci
8 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

String extraction from log file

Hi, Log file will contain text like below: May 7 14:12:09 nap_fujitsu-nexus_pbb-denek-01-r_DE.de.ignite.net 108767: 115673: May 7 14:12:08: %RTT-3-IPSLATHRESHOLD: IP SLA Monitor(112): Threshold below for rtt May 8 14:12:09 nap_fujitsu-nexus_pbb-denek-01-r_DE.de.ignite.net 108767: 115673:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dip
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

String Extraction

I am trying to extract a time from the below string in perl but not able to get the time properly I just want to extract the time from the above line I am using the below syntax x=~ /(.*) (\d+)\:(\d+)\:(\d+),(.*)\.com/ $time = $2 . ':' . $3 . ':' . $4; print $time Can... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: karan8810
1 Replies
COMPACT(3)								 1								COMPACT(3)

compact - Create array containing variables and their values

SYNOPSIS
array compact (mixed $varname1, [mixed $...]) DESCRIPTION
Creates an array containing variables and their values. For each of these, compact(3) looks for a variable with that name in the current symbol table and adds it to the output array such that the variable name becomes the key and the contents of the variable become the value for that key. In short, it does the opposite of extract(3). Any strings that are not set will simply be skipped. PARAMETERS
o $varname1 -compact(3) takes a variable number of parameters. Each parameter can be either a string containing the name of the variable, or an array of variable names. The array can contain other arrays of variable names inside it; compact(3) handles it recursively. RETURN VALUES
Returns the output array with all the variables added to it. EXAMPLES
Example #1 compact(3) example <?php $city = "San Francisco"; $state = "CA"; $event = "SIGGRAPH"; $location_vars = array("city", "state"); $result = compact("event", "nothing_here", $location_vars); print_r($result); ?> The above example will output: Array ( [event] => SIGGRAPH [city] => San Francisco [state] => CA ) NOTES
Note Gotcha Because variable variables may not be used with PHP's Superglobal arrays within functions, the Superglobal arrays may not be passed into compact(3). SEE ALSO
extract(3). PHP Documentation Group COMPACT(3)