Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: John the ripper
Special Forums Cybersecurity John the ripper Post 302437964 by bander2009 on Friday 16th of July 2010 09:46:13 PM
Old 07-16-2010
John the ripper

Hi evryone,

I have problem the john program. It works correctly but I can not make unshadow command because I have removed the file /usr/bin/john by mistake

Code:
[root@localhost src]# cd ../run
[root@localhost run]# ./john /root/shadow
Loaded 2 password hashes with 2 different salts (FreeBSD MD5 [32/32])
letmein          (root)
letmein          (joe)
guesses: 2  time: 0:00:00:00 100% (2)  c/s: 6579  trying: letmein

Then I removed /usr/bin/john, I could do shadow:

Code:
[root@localhost run]# ./john /root/shadow
No password hashes loaded
[root@localhost run]# umask 077
[root@localhost run]# unshadow /etc/passwd /etc/shadow > mypasswd2
bash: unshadow: command not found
[root@localhost ~]# which john
/usr/bin/which: no john in (/usr/lib/qt-3.3/bin:/usr/kerberos/sbin:/usr/kerberos/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/root/bin)
You have mail in /var/spool/mail/root
[root@localhost ~]#

So could you help and advise me what should I do?

Last edited by pludi; 07-17-2010 at 07:33 AM.. Reason: code tags, please...

2 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX and Linux Applications

John the Ripper application question

Hi Friends I like to know one thing the how exactly john the ripper works. I have search in google, read lots of tutorial on that. I have simple question, can I get the password for the encrypted file for the following example. e.g : Abc.txt file contents "This is Joy" Now I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: itsjoy2u
4 Replies

2. Red Hat

John the Ripper / CRACK

Has anyone used JTR or CRACK to check if you have any weak passwords on your Red Hat Servers? If so can I ask some basic questions? Or would this question be better pitched in another area of the Forum, if so please suggest where, if anyone is willing to help me in this forum please let me know... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: stevej123
1 Replies
UNSHADOW(8)						      System Manager's Manual						       UNSHADOW(8)

NAME
unshadow - combines passwd and shadow files SYNOPSIS
unshadow password-file shadow-file DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents briefly the unshadow command, which is part of the john package. This manual page was written for the Debian GNU/Linux distribution because the original program does not have a manual page. john, better known as John the Ripper, is a tool to find weak passwords of users in a server. The unshadow tool combines the passwd and shadow files so John can use them. You might need this since if you only used your shadow file, the GECOS information wouldn't be used by the "single crack" mode, and also you wouldn't be able to use the '-shells' option. On a normal system you'll need to run unshadow as root to be able to read the shadow file. SEE ALSO
john(8), mailer(8), unafs(8), unique(8). The programs are documented fully by John's documentation, which should be available in /usr/share/doc/john or other location, depending on your system. AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Jordi Mallach <jordi@debian.org>, for the Debian GNU/Linux system (but may be used by others). John the Ripper and mailer were written by Solar Designer <solar@openwall.com>. The complete list of contributors can be found in the CRED- ITS file in the documentation directory. john June 03, 2004 UNSHADOW(8)