Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Divide large data files into smaller files Post 302437947 by ad23 on Friday 16th of July 2010 05:35:39 PM
Old 07-16-2010
Divide large data files into smaller files

Hello everyone!

I have 2 types of files in the following format:

Code:
1) *.fa

>1234
...some text...
>2345
...some text...
>3456
...some text...

2) *.info

>1234
...some numbers...
>2345
...some numbers...
>3456
...some numbers...

I need to split these huge files (~300-400Mb), into smaller files (around 30-40Mb each). Also, I don't want to divide the data (i.e. every record starting with '>' should have its corresponding information in one smaller file).

Can someone please suggest a way to do this using unix commands?

Thanks!!!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to divide single large log file into multiple files.

Can you please help me with writing script for following purpose. I have to divide single large web access log file into multiple log files based on dates inside the log file. For example: if data is logged in the access file for jan-10-08 , jan-11-08 , Jan-12-08 then make small log file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kamleshm
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

splitting the large file into smaller files

hi all im new to this forum..excuse me if anythng wrong. I have a file containing 600 MB data in that. when i do parse the data in perl program im getting out of memory error. so iam planning to split the file into smaller files and process one by one. can any one tell me what is the code... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vsnreddy
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

multiple smaller files from one large file

I have a file with a simple list of ids. 750,000 rows. I have to break it down into multiple 50,000 row files to submit in a batch process.. Is there an easy script I could write to accomplish this task? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rtroscianecki
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Divide data into separate files

frnds: i want to divide data on the behalf of dotted line and redirectd into new files ) ------------------------- M-GET CONFIRMATION ( ------------------------- M-GET CONFIRMATION ( INVOKE IDENTIFIER final data shuld be into 3 files ...... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dodasajan
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Divide data with specific column values into separate files

hello! i need a little help from you :) ... i need to split a file into separate files depending on two conditions using scripting. The file has no delimiters. The conditions are col 17 = "P" and col 81 = "*", this will go to one output file; col 17 = "R" and col 81 = " ". Here is an example. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chanclitas
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding data in large no. of files

I need to find some data in a large no. of files. The data is in the following format : VALUE A VALUE B VALUE C VALUE D 10 4 65 1 12 4.5 65.5 2 10.75 5.1 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cooker97
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed - Split large file into smaller files based on pattern match

Help needed urgently please. I have a large file - a few hundred thousand lines. Sample CP START ACCOUNT 1234556 name 1 CP END ACCOUNT CP START ACCOUNT 2224444 name 1 CP END ACCOUNT CP START ACCOUNT 333344444 name 1 CP END ACCOUNT I need to split this file each time "CP START... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Divide an EBCDIC files into multiple files based on value at 45-46 bytes

Hi All, I do have an EBCDIC file sent from the z/os , this file has records with different record types in it, the type of record is identified by bytes 45-46 like value 12 has employee record value 14 has salaray record and etc.... we do now want to split the big ebcdic file into multiple... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: okkadu
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed: Splitting A large File into smaller files based on recursive Regular Expression match

I will simplify the explaination a bit, I need to parse through a 87m file - I have a single text file in the form of : <NAME>house........ SOMETEXT SOMETEXT SOMETEXT . . . . </script> MORETEXT MORETEXT . . . (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumguy
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Split large file into smaller files without disturbing the entry chunks

Dears, Need you help with the below file manipulation. I want to split the file into 8 smaller files but without cutting/disturbing the entries (meaning every small file should start with a entry and end with an empty line). It will be helpful if you can provide a one liner command for this... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kamesh G
12 Replies
CRON(8) 						      System Manager's Manual							   CRON(8)

NAME
cron - clock daemon SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/cron DESCRIPTION
Cron executes commands at specified dates and times according to the instructions in the files /etc/crontab and /etc/crontab.local. None, either one, or both of these files may be present. Since cron never exits, it should only be executed once. This is best done by running cron from the initialization process through the file /etc/rc; see init(8). The crontab files consist of lines of seven fields each. The fields are separated by spaces or tabs. The first five are integer patterns to specify: o minute (0-59) o hour (0-23) o day of the month (1-31) o month of the year (1-12) o day of the week (1-7 with 1 = Monday) Each of these patterns may contain: o a number in the range above o two numbers separated by a minus meaning a range inclusive o a list of numbers separated by commas meaning any of the numbers o an asterisk meaning all legal values The sixth field is a user name: the command will be run with that user's uid and permissions. The seventh field consists of all the text on a line following the sixth field, including spaces and tabs; this text is treated as a command which is executed by the Shell at the specified times. A percent character (``%'') in this field is translated to a new-line character. Both crontab files are checked by cron every minute, on the minute. FILES
/etc/crontab /etc/crontab.local 7th Edition October 23, 1996 CRON(8)