Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Quick question regarding if statement Post 302437854 by Scott on Friday 16th of July 2010 10:07:10 AM
Old 07-16-2010
I think it's an AND you need, not an OR?

Code:
if [ "$USER" != "user1" -a "$USER" != "user2" -a "$USER" != "user3" -a ... ]

Alternatively, you can use a case statement:

Code:
case "$USER" in
 user1|user2|user3|...)  echo "do something";;
 *) echo "do something else"
esac

I never see any reason to use ( over [

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

A very quick question

Just a super quick question: how do you put a link in your php code. I want to make a link to something in /tmp directory. i.e. how do you put a href into php, I think it's done a bit differently. thanks john (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jmg5
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Quick Question

Hello There! I am trying to write this SIMPLE script in Bourne Shell but I keep on getting syntax errors. Can you see what I am doing wrong? I've done this before but I don't see the difference. I am simply trying to take the day of the week from our system and when the teachers sign on I want... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: catbad
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Quick VI question

This "SHOULD" be a simple question, but looking through several books has turned up nothing, so I turn once again to the experts!! How do you vi a file so that you can see special characters. I believe my /etc/passwd file is being corrupted during an upgrade process, however the files... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Recon
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

quick question

does anyone know what $? means? i echoed it on my box (running AIX Korn shell) and got 127 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: penfold
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Quick Question

Hi, I am new to UNIX, and am learning from this tutorial : http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Teaching/Unix/index.html It keeps telling me to files downloaded from the internet (like .txt files) to the directory, and I dont know how to. How do I add .txt files to my directory? Thanks. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: IAMTHEEVILBEAN
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ok quick question

Hi i just wanted to know is there anyway to log the keystrokes on a remote computer? For example i let my nieces play on my other computer downstairs *my computer and the one downstairs are on a LAN* and i want to see everything they type in to make sure they arent doing anything they are supposed... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Corrail
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Quick question

Hi, Is there a simple way, using ksh, to find the byte position in a file that a stated character appears? Many thanks Helen (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bab00shka
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

quick question

from command prompt I did grep two words on a same line for eg: grep abc | grep xyz and I got tht particular line, but I want to know when I vi that file how to directly search for that particular line? I appreciate if any one can provide answer, thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pkolishetty
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Quick question

Hello all, Quick question from a fairly new to Unix developer. if then completedLogFile=$logfile.$(date +%Y%m%d-%H:%M:%S) mv $logfile $completedLogFile fi I understand that this portion of code is simply copying a tmp logfile to a completed logfile when a condition is true. The... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JohnnyBoy
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

quick question

I am using sed to find a pattern in a line and then I want to retain the pattern + the rest of the line. How is this possible? ie: line is: 14158 05-15-08 20:00 123-1234-A21/deliverable/dhm.a search for 123-1234-A21 ie: echo $line | sed 's/.*\(\{3\}-\{4\}-\{3\}\{5\}\).*/\1/' ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: phreezr
1 Replies
PPI::Statement::Null(3) 				User Contributed Perl Documentation				   PPI::Statement::Null(3)

NAME
PPI::Statement::Null - A useless null statement SYNOPSIS
my $foo = 1; ; # <-- Null statement my $bar = 1; INHERITANCE
PPI::Statement::Null isa PPI::Statement isa PPI::Node isa PPI::Element DESCRIPTION
"PPI::Statement::Null" is a utility class designed to handle situations where PPI encounters a naked statement separator. Although strictly speaking, the semicolon is a statement separator and not a statement terminator, PPI considers a semicolon to be a statement terminator under most circumstances. In any case, the null statement has no purpose, and can be safely deleted with no ill effect. METHODS
"PPI::Statement::Null" has no additional methods beyond the default ones provided by PPI::Statement, PPI::Node and PPI::Element. SUPPORT
See the support section in the main module. AUTHOR
Adam Kennedy <adamk@cpan.org> COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2001 - 2011 Adam Kennedy. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. The full text of the license can be found in the LICENSE file included with this module. perl v5.18.2 2011-02-25 PPI::Statement::Null(3)