Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Script to insert text from one file to other file Post 302437832 by rdcwayx on Friday 16th of July 2010 08:02:12 AM
Old 07-16-2010
Code:
echo "<span class=\"text\"> `date` CEST MARS Server `hostname` was restarted due to outofmemory. <br></span>" >> operational_page

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to insert text into first line of the file and middle of the file?

Script 1 Pre-requisites Create a file with x amount of lines in it, the content of your choice. Write a script that takes two arguments. The first being a line of text, the second being your newly created file. The script should take the first argument and insert it into the very top (the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ali hussain
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to insert some constant text at beginig of each line within a text file.

Dear Folks :), I am new to UNIX scripting and I do not know how can I insert some text in the first column of a UNIX text file at command promtp. I can do this in vi editor by using this command :g/^/s//BBB_ e,g I have a file named as Test.dat and it containins below text: michal... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Muhammad Afzal
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to insert new text and change existing text in a file using SED

Hi all, I need to insert new text and change existing text in a file. For that I used the below line in the command line and got the expected output. sed '$a\ hi... ' shell > shell1 But I face problem when using the same in script. It is throwing the error as, sed: command garbled:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: iamgeethuj
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk script to insert text in file

I'm in a time crunch here and I don't know how to write scripts. I have a file of data that looks like the following: 1 7.652073E+00 0.000000E+00 7.146691E+02 1.704154E+01 2 7.652068E+00 6.031387E+00 7.146636E+02 2.499305E+01 3 7.645906E+00 1.509455E+01 7.144158E+02 1.822061E+02 4... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: pk218703
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert Text On file

Hi All, Can someone pls help me to insert some text on a file. my file contains something like below.. AKBULBU, BALUMIL, BATCH,BATCH BOARROB, BOTAKAT, C57896, CAKIOZE, CHECMER, CICOFRA, CISZPAW,2194485 I want output as USER_ID, LOGIN_ID (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: harshakusam
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert value to db from text file

Hi, I have a single value in insertval file. I want to load that value to database with the current date. I tried the below code but it is inserting <NULL> to database and echo $c is also null. cat insertval | awk -F ' ' '{print $1}' > c echo c=$c data=`sqlplus -s user/pwd@hostname <<EOF ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neethu
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Insert text into a file using shell script

Hi, I need to insert "Hello World" text into a file called hai.txt using shell scripting. Kindly help me. For eg: If I open the file hai.txt by giving linux command cat hai.txt, the content of the file should have the text Hello World in it. Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthick nath
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to insert text within a file?

Hi, I am trying to check for missing dates in a file and would want to insert the missing date into the file. Currently the script is as below #!/bin/ksh dates="dates" cat ${dates} | grep -v "^#" curr_month=`date '+%m` curr_day=`date '+%d` curr_year=`date '+%Y` #curr_month=02... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

TCL script to insert some text on a file

Hi All , I am looking to create one TCL script to insert one text based on some regular expression match on one file as stated below Input File module (mem1 ,mem2 , bist1 , ten2 , sen1 , land2 , taane2 , ran1 , ran2 , tri2 , tri8 , fly1 , fly2 , san2 ); output ran1 , ran2 , tri2 ,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kshitij
1 Replies
shells(4)							   File Formats 							 shells(4)

NAME
shells - shell database SYNOPSIS
/etc/shells DESCRIPTION
The shells file contains a list of the shells on the system. Applications use this file to determine whether a shell is valid. See getuser- shell(3C). For each shell a single line should be present, consisting of the shell's path, relative to root. A hash mark (#) indicates the beginning of a comment; subsequent characters up to the end of the line are not interpreted by the routines which search the file. Blank lines are also ignored. The following default shells are used by utilities: /bin/bash, /bin/csh, /bin/jsh, /bin/ksh, /bin/pfcsh, /bin/pfksh, /bin/pfsh, /bin/sh, /bin/tcsh, /bin/zsh, /sbin/jsh, /sbin/sh, /usr/bin/bash, /usr/bin/csh, /usr/bin/jsh, /usr/bin/ksh, /usr/bin/pfcsh, /usr/bin/pfksh, /usr/bin/pfsh, and /usr/bin/sh, /usr/bin/tcsh, /usr/bin/zsh. Note that /etc/shells overrides the default list. Invalid shells in /etc/shells may cause unexpected behavior (such as being unable to log in by way of ftp(1)). FILES
/etc/shells lists shells on system SEE ALSO
vipw(1B), ftpd(1M), sendmail(1M), getusershell(3C), aliases(4) SunOS 5.10 4 Jun 2001 shells(4)