Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Breaking "while read" also breaks the parent process Post 302437740 by chebarbudo on Friday 16th of July 2010 04:13:14 AM
Old 07-16-2010
Question Breaking "while read" also breaks the parent process

Hi,

I'm a bit confused. Maybe some master can explain to me what is happening.

I have a program that starts issuing output about himself loading.
I want to run it in another thread but I want to wait untill it's fully loaded.

Program sample:
Code:
$ cat myprogram
echo "loading"
echo "almost ready"
echo "up and running"
while true; do
    echo "I don't care about the rest of the output"
    sleep 1
done

If I run it like this, it will stay in another thread but I will not be sure it is "up and running":
Code:
$ myprogram &

So I tried to run it like this but the process dies very soon :
Code:
$ myprogram | while read -r; do
    [[ "$REPLY" == "up and running" ]] && break
done
echo "Now I know myprogram went all the way untill it is up and running"
echo "But now myprogram is dead :-("

Question: How can I stat myprogram and wait untill it outputs "up and running"?

Thanks for your help.
Santiago

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to request a "read" or "delivered" receipt for mails

Dears, I've written a script which allows me to send mails in different formats with different attaches. Now I still want to add a feature to this script. My users would like to be able to receive a "read" or "delivered" receipt for their mails. The script send mails on behalve of an specific... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: plelie2
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Breaking input with "read" command

In this post, Perderabo's script says echo 05/06/25 14:15:56 | IFS=" /:" read Y1 M1 D1 h1 m1 s1 which, if I am not wrong, will break the input into Y1, M1 et al. I tried the following in my code #! /bin/ksh # per.sh typeset -R2 HOUR=00 typeset -R2 MIN=00 typeset -R2 SEC=00 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vino
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

read -p "prompt text" foo say "read: bad option(s)" in Bourne-Shell

Hallo, i need a Prompting read in my script: read -p "Enter your command: " command But i always get this Error: -p: is not an identifier When I run these in c-shell i get this error /usr/bin/read: read: bad option(s) How can I use a Prompt in the read command? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: wiseguy
9 Replies

4. Red Hat

"service" , "process" and " daemon" ?

Friends , Anybody plz tell me what is the basic difference between "service" , "process" and " daemon" ? Waiting for kind reply .. .. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shipon_97
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Purpose of "read" and "$END$" in ksh ?

Hi, Could anyone please shed some light on the following script lines and what is it doing as it was written by an ex-administrator? cat $AMS/version|read a b verno d DBVer=$(/usr/bin/printf "%7s" $verno) I checked that the cat $AMS/version command returns following output: ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: dbadmin100
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read from "list1" and list matches in "list2"

I want to print any matching IP addresse in List1 with List 2; List 1 List of IP addresses; 161.85.58.210 250.57.15.129 217.23.162.249 74.76.129.101 30.221.177.237 3.147.200.59 170.58.142.64 127.65.109.33 150.167.242.146 223.3.20.186 25.181.180.99 2.55.199.32 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lewk
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

While loop breaking when using "ssh" command inside

Hi , I am trying to read a list of hosts from a config file and trying to get file list from that host. For this I have used one while loop. cat "$ARCHIVE_CFG_FILE" | sed '/^$/d' | sed '/^#/d' | while read ARCHIVE_CFG do SOURCE_SERVER_NAME=`echo "$ARCHIVE_CFG" | awk -F '|' '{ print... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anupam_Halder
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using "mailx" command to read "to" and "cc" email addreses from input file

How to use "mailx" command to do e-mail reading the input file containing email address, where column 1 has name and column 2 containing “To” e-mail address and column 3 contains “cc” e-mail address to include with same email. Sample input file, email.txt Below is an sample code where... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asjaiswal
2 Replies
ns_thread(3aolserver)					    AOLserver Built-In Commands 				     ns_thread(3aolserver)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
ns_thread - commands SYNOPSIS
ns_thread begin script ns_thread begindetached script ns_thread get ns_thread getid ns_thread wait tid ns_thread yield _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
ns_thread begin: begins a new thread which evaluates the specified script and then exits. It returns a thread ID that must eventually be passed to ns_thread wait. (Failing to call ns_thread wait will eventually result in no new threads being created.) ns_thread begindetached: begins a detached thread that doesn't have to be (and can't be) waited for. ns_thread get: gets the thread ID of the current thread. The result is a thread ID that can be passed to ns_thread wait and may look something like "tid532". ns_thread getid: gets the thread integer number for the current thread. The result is a small integer used for identifying threads is a human-read- able way, such as "1" or "1120", for example. ns_thread wait: waits for the specified thread to exit. The tid argument is a thread ID returned by ns_thread begin or ns_thread get. ns_thread yield: causes the current thread to yield. EXAMPLES
This example is similar to the example under the ns_sockselect function of connecting to the 10 servers and waiting to service them with the ns_sockselect command. In this case, though, each connection gets it's own thread. # This is the procedure which is evaluated for each thread and # handles a single connection to host number $i proc getpage {i} { global pages # new thread will start here - first connect to host set host [format "www%2d.foo.com" $i] set fds [ns_sockopen $host 80 set r [lindex $fds 0] set w [lindex $fds 1] # next, send request 0r" puts $w "GET /index.htm HTTP/1.0 flush $w # then read page set pages($i) [read $r] # and close sockets close $w close $r # thread goes away here and other threads waiting # on ns_thread wait will wakeup } # Here's the loop which creates the threads which run getpage. for {set i 1} {$i < 9} {incr i} { set tids($i) [ns_thread begin "getpage $i"] } # wait for the threads to exit and then process the pages for {set i 1} {$i < 9} {incr i} { ns_thread wait $tids($i) # output page ... process the page in $pages($i) put there by other thread ... } Note that the code here is much simpler to follow than the ns_sockselect example; that's the benefit of multithreaded programming. However, it uses more resources as threads need to be created and initialized. This can be a problem if you plan to create many threads. SEE ALSO
KEYWORDS
threads AOLserver 4.0 ns_thread(3aolserver)